The CKG And Me

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

The CKG And Me

Post by SmokestackJones »

Okay, I've been actively avoiding buying the current CKG. I bought the previous edition and am on the verge of getting rid of it due to looking it over and determining of was just CK advice and not necessary to run the game.

Until I needed encounter tables.

Dammit, they put 'em in the CKG. But, I was looking for encounter tables by region, which the book didn't have. So, the question to you Fine People is: does the newest edition have encounter tables by y region? I know I can always pull out my Rules Cyclopedia, Labyrinth Lord, Swords and Wizardry or 1E/2E books but I thought I'd try to keep it "in the family" so to speak.

-SJ

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Re: The CKG And Me

Post by Traveller »

To the best of my recollection, no encounter tables by region in the book. I'll have to check my PDF later on today, after some sleep.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

The latest CKG printing has encounter tables by tier (i.e., HD), not by region.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I found I used the CKG very rarely and felt, why did I buy this thing.. but the more I read it the more I find little hidden gems in it. If the $30 or so is not too much, why not get it.. for me, its a reasonable cost and it pays for itself here and there relative to the fun it helps us all have. One example is we tried all the critical hit and fumble rules just to give them a whirl, we had so much fun with it, paid for the book.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I agree with Cap a bit. The CKG is touted as a reference book, not really a core book. And like with all reference books there are things that are useful and things that are not depending on how you run your game and such. It isn't going to be a book you go back to constantly but it is well worth having in the arsena....errr...library. :D
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

pawndream wrote:The latest CKG printing has encounter tables by tier (i.e., HD), not by region.
By HD is good.

My solution is printing out the Rules Cyclopedia encounter tables, paying them into my campaign bok. I can then cross-reference them with the HD tables. Easy-peasy.

-SJ

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Thats another great thing about C&C being such a "universal RPG", if the Trolls haven't done something in a way I want or need, I have something in my massive RPG library that is done the way I want or need, and can easily use with C&C.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

The CKG is a decent book, but certainly not necessary to play the game. I picked it up after playing C&C for about a year, when TLG had one of their Christmas sales and it cost me like $10. I then went in on the Three Sisters KS and got another copy of it, through that, but the book never sees use in actual play. I don't even bring it to game sessions.

I don't regret having it though. My game library isn't groaning under the weight of many books, so it's okay to just have it sit on a shelf for occasional perusal.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

pawndream wrote:The CKG is a decent book, but certainly not necessary to play the game. I picked it up after playing C&C for about a year, when TLG had one of their Christmas sales and it cost me like $10. I then went in on the Three Sisters KS and got another copy of it, through that, but the book never sees use in actual play. I don't even bring it to game sessions.

I don't regret having it though. My game library isn't groaning under the weight of many books, so it's okay to just have it sit on a shelf for occasional perusal.
Yeah, I primarily use it for Chapters 3 and 4. I still reference my 1E DMG far more often than I do the CKG, but I don't regret owning it, especially since a couple of the CK's I game under have started to make use of Advantages, Hero Points, etc... So between the few needs I have for it, and what other CK's have started using, I use my copy pretty much every week to look something up.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

pawndream wrote:The CKG is a decent book, but certainly not necessary to play the game. I picked it up after playing C&C for about a year, when TLG had one of their Christmas sales and it cost me like $10. I then went in on the Three Sisters KS and got another copy of it, through that, but the book never sees use in actual play. I don't even bring it to game sessions.

I agree, the CKG is not 100% necessary, but good to have for the additional resources it provides. Plus, there's some good artwork to be gazed at in the book.

SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

Litzen Tallister wrote:I agree, the CKG is not 100% necessary, but good to have for the additional resources it provides. Plus, there's some good artwork to be gazed at in the book.
That's what I thought. A certain Genteel Magistrate talked me out of purchasing it at NTRPG Con.

-SJ

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

-SJ,

When I first purchased the CKG a few years ago I was disappointed. I do not like how it recommends most of the character classses advancing beyoung level 12, (BTH, abilities gained ect...) But, as time went by I kept reading it and found information that I had never considered. It gives the reasons behind the SIEGE Engine and other common rules. It offers advice on changing the ability modifiers, armor as damage reduction, and explains why Illusionist can heal. It offers a bunch of optional rules and some advice and warnings if you incorporate them into your game. It has turned out to be one of thoses books that I learn something new everytime I look at it.

Yes, I recommend it, not becuase you need it, but because it can offer you a lot to think about and use in your own game.

JLL

dawnrazor
Mist Elf

Post by dawnrazor »

lobocastle wrote:-SJ,

When I first purchased the CKG a few years ago I was disappointed. I do not like how it recommends most of the character classses advancing beyoung level 12, (BTH, abilities gained ect...) But, as time went by I kept reading it and found information that I had never considered. It gives the reasons behind the SIEGE Engine and other common rules. It offers advice on changing the ability modifiers, armor as damage reduction, and explains why Illusionist can heal. It offers a bunch of optional rules and some advice and warnings if you incorporate them into your game. It has turned out to be one of thoses books that I learn something new everytime I look at it.

Yes, I recommend it, not becuase you need it, but because it can offer you a lot to think about and use in your own game.

JLL
This is exactly how I feel about the CKG. It's a very good GM book for any D&D style game.

SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

I'm hearing enough good things to reconsider keeping the CKG, although I have the first printing and I assume you folks are talking about the current printing.

-SJ

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

SmokestackJones wrote:I'm hearing enough good things to reconsider keeping the CKG, although I have the first printing and I assume you folks are talking about the current printing.

-SJ
I have both printings. Only big difference is one is B and W, while the other is full color. Next biggest is the full color also had layout changes. I don't recall content being significantly different. Yet, that is something I haven't paid much attention to, so hopefully someone else can comment knowledgeably on that.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

There are a fair number of rule changes in the latest print, though as the CKG is a book of options you may never even notice, if it's a rule you don't use.