Easier to use C&C or 5E with D&D 1E

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Easier to use C&C or 5E with D&D 1E

Post by tylermo »

I'm talking to somebody on AD&D FB about the merits of C&C. Which works easier with 1E? C&C or 5E. I've never done any conversion, etc., so I couldn't honestly tell the guy.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Re: Easier to use C&C or 5E with D&D 1E

Post by finarvyn »

I think that C&C is "AD&D attitude with 3E mechanics" and fits very well with AD&D. The main things to convert are simple stuff like ascending/descending AC and that kind of thing. Otherwise, the basic scale of C&C and AD&D are pretty similar to me and I often use my 2E monster manual in my C&C games.

5E is much simpler than 4E and true 3E, but the scale is a bit different. Not a hard conversion, but not as easy as C&C because of the feats and skills and other interconnecting powers. Having said that, there are some elements of 5E which would work great in a C&C or AD&D game (such as the way they do cantrips, the way you can upcast spells to a higher level, and the like).
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

KaiserKris
Red Cap

Post by KaiserKris »

Castles & Crusades is much, much easier to use 1E material with. 5E is very much, in my opinion, its own beast. I think it's a pretty nicely designed rules set (big improvement over 3X or 4E in my opinion) but anything you changed over would require considering bounded accuracy, advantage, proficiency, things like that.

Castles and Crusades on the other hand, is about the easiest game to mod that I've run into, even easier in some ways than the really simplistic retroclones.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

There is no question that C&C is easier to convert OD&D, BX D&D, 1st ed AD&D, 2nd ed AD&D, and 3rd ed D&D.

JLL

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have converted 1E to 4E to C&C, and its easy. All you have to look at is the HD/lvl, and in the case of 3E and 4E decide what you want to get rid of and what you want to keep.

I have done no 5E conversions, I only played it for about 5 months.

Now if you mean converting C&C or 5E to 1E, then C&C is definitely the easiest as well.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I play a lot of 5e these days. I would agree and disagree. 1e to 5e just using the 5e monsters as they are out of the MM works great. You can convert on the fly easy-peasy. Treasure in 1e could be scaled back a bit. From C&C you can use them as they are but change AC and HD to match C&C power level better. Both convert on the fly.