turning undead

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
captcorajus
Mist Elf

turning undead

Post by captcorajus »

Okay, this seems to be evading me, or perhaps I'm looking for something that's not there. Is there a limit on how many times per day a cleric can turn undead, or
is there no limit?

Thanks!

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: turning undead

Post by maximus »

captcorajus wrote:Okay, this seems to be evading me, or perhaps I'm looking for something that's not there. Is there a limit on how many times per day a cleric can turn undead, or
is there no limit?

Thanks!
There's no limit, but the cleric can only try to turn one type of undead per round. If the attempt fails, no further attempts can be made on that particular group of undead for 24 hours.

captcorajus
Mist Elf

Post by captcorajus »

Yup, okay, that's the way I read it. Returning to C&C after a 2 year hiatus, and my head needs a refresher course! lol. Thanks!!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Welcome back!

Clerics rule (and paladins when they advance high enough to turn undead)!

Rhu. :)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

captcorajus wrote:Yup, okay, that's the way I read it. Returning to C&C after a 2 year hiatus, and my head needs a refresher course! lol. Thanks!!
Indeed....welcome back!

To add to what maximus said, you can also choose which type (in a mixed group) of undead you want to turn first. Then there's additional rules for how many are turned, whether or not they're destroyed, etc., all of which can be found on page 180 of the newest printing.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Indeed....welcome back!

To add to what maximus said, you can also choose which type (in a mixed group) of undead you want to turn first. Then there's additional rules for how many are turned, whether or not they're destroyed, etc., all of which can be found on page 180 of the newest printing.
Really, for some reason I thought it was lower level undead turned first, then you had to work your way up the ladder to the higher level undead ... As I'm running a cleric for the first time in years, I like your way better than my misreading/remembering of it !

That said, Captc, welcome back
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

captcorajus
Mist Elf

Post by captcorajus »

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I really love C&C but there are some minor things I like about 5E I'm incorporating into my house rules. But, yeah, I like the Turning Undead rules 'As is', as I do MOST of C&C. Sooo easy to run!

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

captcorajus wrote:Thanks everyone! Yeah, I really love C&C but there are some minor things I like about 5E I'm incorporating into my house rules. But, yeah, I like the Turning Undead rules 'As is', as I do MOST of C&C. Sooo easy to run!
Cool! Glad to see you're back with us.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Welcome back!

Evil clerics are the best, they can turn paladins :twisted:

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Lurker wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:
Indeed....welcome back!

Really, for some reason I thought it was lower level undead turned first, then you had to work your way up the ladder to the higher level undead ... As I'm running a cleric for the first time in years, I like your way better than my misreading/remembering of it !

That said, Captc, welcome back
Yeah Lurker, I forgot that, too, at first. I had actually just reread that section a few days before my post; I hadn't remembered about choosing, either. But the little example box on page 180 made it pretty clear. I actually like that little bit of strategy it gives the cleric.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.