Dragon Mark Illusion

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
trechriron
Mist Elf

Dragon Mark Illusion

Post by trechriron »

So my Illusionist has a 0 level spell called Dragon Mark. It's cast on a closed door. If anyone touches the door, an image of a Dragon appears while smoke and Dragon noises emit from the door.

So, will this work on animal intelligence creatures? If 5 Hobgoblins approach the door, does it affect all of them or only the first one to touch the door?

I generally adjudicate this with what I feel would be a common response. Most intelligent humanoids run the first time, and maybe are suspicious on subsequent uses. I have it affect anyone near the door when the spell is activated. Since illusions in C&C are material, it makes the most sense to me.

However, I worry that the spell is too powerful for a 0 level spell. In my house rules, magic users of any type can choose a 0 level spell to cast at-will. They can choose a new 0-level spell every odd level after that. In this context I worry the spell is even MORE powerful for a 0 level spell.

Thoughts on how the spell works?

Thoughts on the "power" or "balance" of this spell?
Trentin C Bergeron
Bard, Dreamer, RPG Enthusiast
My Blog

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Dragon Mark Illusion

Post by Captain_K »

They all get a save or they believe there is a dragon on the other side based on sound... yeah kind of a great noisy watch dog.. if they are not abusing it.. does it matter?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

And if there was nothing around to indicate or give reason for them to "believe" a dragon was present or in the vicinity, they would be getting a fat bonus to their saving throw. Illusions work best/most effectively when there is a consistency in the perceptions of the characters. An illusion of a dragon suddenly popping up in an area like a suite of fancy bedrooms for instance is far far less believable than a ruin looking like a freight train went through it and with signs of some large predator being around. Same would apply for Silent Images and such if the image was not appropriate for the setting or could not have some logic gap that the mind would not find just wrong. But then again, I am rather old school in terms of illusions also.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Dumb spell. The author needed to think about game mechanics here a little more. Hand waiving and CK adjudication are fine, but what's a player to invest in this spell when it's specific about effect, but light on rules or usefulness. Silly.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

It's a 0 level spell, it's not really supposed to be very useful. I kinda see it as a helper to "pranks to play on freshmen" while they were in school - just like Prestidigitation for Wizards.

I've only had players use it as a "warning" on doors - more the sound is used to warn the party that someone just touched the door to the room they're in than anything else. It might frighten some, but it's main use is to let the party know someone is around.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There are significant limitations due to the level of the spell, but it can be useful in some ways, especially as a way to identify a cult or to frighten less intelligent foes. Also, if you want to establish a reputation. Imagine mixing in some other illusions with it and every time you leave, those who check the room are left with this dragon remnant, complete with scent and whatever... they might start spreading a rumor about the party what keeps a dragon in they's pocketses.

As a Castle Keeper, I would not discourage the spell use. But, it would take a lot more creativity than merely using it.

trechriron
Mist Elf

Post by trechriron »

serleran wrote:There are significant limitations due to the level of the spell, but it can be useful in some ways, especially as a way to identify a cult or to frighten less intelligent foes. Also, if you want to establish a reputation. Imagine mixing in some other illusions with it and every time you leave, those who check the room are left with this dragon remnant, complete with scent and whatever... they might start spreading a rumor about the party what keeps a dragon in they's pocketses.

As a Castle Keeper, I would not discourage the spell use. But, it would take a lot more creativity than merely using it.
Yeah, they already have a reputation in the dungeon as the "Dragon Keepers" :twisted:

I think we'll keep using it as, but he tries to use it during combat by shutting a door and casting it. In these cases, I'm going to have creatures with half a wit get a huge bonus to the save.
Trentin C Bergeron
Bard, Dreamer, RPG Enthusiast
My Blog

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I would think of this more as a door bell that might scare away wandering monsters.. so you mark the outside of the door you are 'resting" in.. when its triggered from the outside.. ruling here, at least the Illusionist will know inside that someone or something just set it off.. thus an effective alarm that might give the guys at the door a scare or at least a round or two to confer before busting in on the resting party... that is how I would use it, an alarm spell.. this way, its a great zero level spell.

In general, this gets the heart of why illusionists can be cool or a real pain.. wide open for use and abuse..
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

trechriron wrote:
serleran wrote:There are significant limitations due to the level of the spell, but it can be useful in some ways, especially as a way to identify a cult or to frighten less intelligent foes. Also, if you want to establish a reputation. Imagine mixing in some other illusions with it and every time you leave, those who check the room are left with this dragon remnant, complete with scent and whatever... they might start spreading a rumor about the party what keeps a dragon in they's pocketses.

Yeah, they already have a reputation in the dungeon as the "Dragon Keepers" :twisted:

I think we'll keep using it as, but he tries to use it during combat by shutting a door and casting it. In these cases, I'm going to have creatures with half a wit get a huge bonus to the save.

Now, they need the ability to make one of their party appear as a dragon. Surely the illusionist has a spell to do it...

With a little creativity, they can take this all kinds of interesting places.