View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Using "old school" saving throws 
Red Cap

Post Using "old school" saving throws
As an experiment, I've been thinking of coming up with a workable system for C&C that uses the concept of saving throw categories, such as was used in every edition in D&D up until 3e. Yes, 3e used reflex/fort/will, but I'm talking about the breath weapon/paralysis/magic type of saves.

As I see it, the concept revolves around the idea that certain classes are better at certain types of saves. For example, a wizard would be better against illusions and charms than a ranger. While primes address this in many ways, with wizards always having intelligence as a prime and therefore always good at saving against arcane magic and illusions, I think having save categories could be more evocative. The saves in pre-3e D&D make little sense to me, however. Why, for example, is a fireball shot from a wand somehow different than one released by a magic-user?

So, step one is coming up with unique saving throw categories that play to the strengths and weaknesses of each class.

Step two is figuring out the save numbers. If you go truly old school, saves improve at a varying degree of speed depending on your class. Further, while your saves improve, the attacks you save against do not. And how would primes play into this, if at all? Which brings up step 3...

Step 3. How much would it throw off the entire system if a fireball from a 5th level wizard is just as difficult/easy to save against as one hurled by a 12th level wizard? Or should a middle ground be implemented, such as using the spell's level instead of the caster's level? What about the hit dice of a monster? Should they be halved for purposes of the CL of the attack?

This is just a fun experiment, so please avoid the "why don't you play another system?" or "you're messing with perfection" responses. ;)

Your ideas and suggestions are appreciated!

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]