Spears and Lances

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Technomancer

Spears and Lances

Post by Technomancer »

I was looking over the weapon list, and something struck me as odd. Spears get a bonus when used from a charging mount, while lances, which were meant to be used from horseback, do not. Does anyone know or guess the reasoning behind that?

Also, the light and heavy lance have two asterisks after their damage dice in the damage column, but I couldn't find anywhere where it explained what that meant. Anyone know?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The ** notation is to denote double damage when used from a charging mount if I recall. At least, that's how I've interpreted it.

.........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer »

Omote wrote:
The ** notation is to denote double damage when used from a charging mount if I recall. At least, that's how I've interpreted it.

.........................................Omote

FPQ

I don't think so. There is a separate notation for a bonus when used from a charging mount (an 8 superscript I believe)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The #8 superscript refers to bracing to receive a charge, not when charging your self. That is why I assumed that the ** denoted that if you were charging, in this case with a lance, your charge damage would be doubled. I also base this on the fact that the lance is the only weapon (maybe the heavy mace too) that I am aware of the have the **.

.............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

I don't have my book handy, but one of the abilities of the Knight is to inflict triple damage in a charge (can't recall if it specifically says with what weapons). But a lance must be included in there. This implies that a standard charge does double damage.

-Fizz

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer »

Omote wrote:
The #8 superscript refers to bracing to receive a charge, not when charging your self. That is why I assumed that the ** denoted that if you were charging, in this case with a lance, your charge damage would be doubled. I also base this on the fact that the lance is the only weapon (maybe the heavy mace too) that I am aware of the have the **.

.............................................Omote

FPQ

It might have been 7. I don't have my book with me now, but I remember the spear did have that superscript and the lances didn't.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

You are corect. #7 does say "Double dmaage if used from a charging mount." However, it seems safe to say that the ** notation is supposed to be the same as the #7 superscript. I would think this is a hold over from the 1st printing, where I bleive there' wern't 8 total superscript notations.

From my point of view this seems to make sense. But hey, I;ve been awfully wrong before.
................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

irda ranger

Post by irda ranger »

Makes sense to me.