XP for traps/NPC's?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

XP for traps/NPC's?

Post by Jason Vey »

So, do traps and enemies with class levels not grant XP?

Okay, okay...enemies with class levels I can figure out. A third level human rogue, for example, is a 3 HD monster with Special I abilities. Easy enough.

But what about traps? I find it hard to swallow that picking up gold and weapons gives you XP, but overcoming a trap (one of the Rogue's primary functions) doesn't. That being said, I can't seem to find guidelines for that anywhere. As of now, I'm treating traps as an X HD monster (where X is the level of the Rogue who created the trap) with no bonus per HP, and Special abilities based on what the trap does (so poison, for example, would be at least Special I, Special II if it did 4d6 or more damage, and Special III for one of those "Save or die" jobs.

Your basic damaging trap dealing 1D4 with 1D6/1D6 poison, set by a third level rogue, then, would be worth 30 XP (20 for 3HD, plus 10 for a Special I ability).

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Sounds reasonable. I also agree that XP for GP and whatnot is not my cup of tea either. However, up until this point I have goven XP for traps but not in any clear fashion other then just winging it.

.........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Omote wrote:
Sounds reasonable. I also agree that XP for GP and whatnot is not my cup of tea either. However, up until this point I have goven XP for traps but not in any clear fashion other then just winging it.

.........................................Omote

FPQ

You know, I do give the XP for coin and treasure...only because without doing that, characters level at a crawl.

I'm considering adopting a more freeform XP system overall, based on Palladium's XP system--which is one thing I think that company does really right.

I haven't decided for certain yet, though.

irda ranger

Post by irda ranger »

Quote:
As of now, I'm treating traps as an X HD monster (where X is the level of the Rogue who created the trap) with no bonus per HP, and Special abilities based on what the trap does (so poison, for example, would be at least Special I, Special II if it did 4d6 or more damage, and Special III for one of those "Save or die" jobs.

I would use this formula, but use some fraction of the total (1/2 maybe?), not the full amount. Even without the HP adjustment, no trap is as dangerous as an intelligent opponent of the same level/HD.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: XP for traps/NPC's?

Post by gideon_thorne »

The Grey Elf wrote:
So, do traps and enemies with class levels not grant XP?

Okay, okay...enemies with class levels I can figure out. A third level human rogue, for example, is a 3 HD monster with Special I abilities. Easy enough.

But what about traps? I find it hard to swallow that picking up gold and weapons gives you XP, but overcoming a trap (one of the Rogue's primary functions) doesn't. That being said, I can't seem to find guidelines for that anywhere. As of now, I'm treating traps as an X HD monster (where X is the level of the Rogue who created the trap) with no bonus per HP, and Special abilities based on what the trap does (so poison, for example, would be at least Special I, Special II if it did 4d6 or more damage, and Special III for one of those "Save or die" jobs.

Your basic damaging trap dealing 1D4 with 1D6/1D6 poison, set by a third level rogue, then, would be worth 30 XP (20 for 3HD, plus 10 for a Special I ability).

Sounds like a good way to handle it which was logically infered from within the system. What was the question again? ^_^

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The Grey Elf wrote:
I'm considering adopting a more freeform XP system overall, based on Palladium's XP system--which is one thing I think that company does really right.

I agree, as you may or may not remember my screen name from the olden days of Palladium's MBs. Palladium's XP system is a great one, but a bit too flexible at points. Still, Pally's XP system is one of the best IMO.

........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Omote wrote:
I agree, as you may or may not remember my screen name from the olden days of Palladium's MBs. Palladium's XP system is a great one, but a bit too flexible at points. Still, Pally's XP system is one of the best IMO.

........................................Omote

FPQ

The only problem with it is that it doesn't scale as the party goes up in levels. So for a game where XP is expected to scale, like C&C or D&D, you'd have to, say, multiply XP total by average party level before dividing points up.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

You could give the XP using the above mentioned system a multiplier based on levels, or, depending on how you run the game don't have to. Using Pally's XP system as is, PCs in C&C could advance quickly through the first few levels, but would indeed slow down greatly at later levels.

Depending on your style of play, this might not be a bad thing.

.............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I always award 50 XP / difficulty of the trap, assuming it is disarmed, and not simply bypassed, which means... if you didn't have to "struggle" to avoid it, you don't get anything for it. This applies solely to the character that did the disarming/jamming (yes, even non-rogues can disarm some traps.) Other than that, if the trap is sprung, and you survive it, I award 10 XP / difficulty.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I definitely give XP for finding (or not) traps. And for disarming them (or not).

Even if the rogue fails to find or disarm, they will have learned something and will be better prepared next time (if they live that is) and thus XP rewards.

I got this idea from another version of D&D methinks, not sure. I just remember reading this and thinking it was logical.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

irda ranger

Post by irda ranger »

Rhuvein wrote:
Even if the rogue fails to find or disarm, they will have learned something and will be better prepared next time (if they live that is) and thus XP rewards.

Given how people really learn, you should probably get more EP from having a trap explode on you than for successfully disarming it.

PC1:"Don't touch that, it really stings."

PC2:"Really, how do you know?"

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Of course you can give XP for having a trap go off in your face. Of course, you might also be rolling up a new character too.

......................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

irda ranger

Post by irda ranger »

Omote wrote:
Of course you can give my XP for having a trap go off in your face. Of course, you might also be rolling up a new character too.

......................................Omote

FPQ

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."

Feeling stronger? No? Darn. Here's 3d6.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Haha. Nice. Remind me to play very, VERY cautiously in your games IR.
..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

johns

Post by johns »

I think Hackmaster gave 50 XP per point of damage (maximum) the trap could cause. For save or die/save or sleep/save or paralyzed traps, you'd have to fudge it.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I give XPs for traps as well, I don't have a set formula, but just eyeball it, based on the difficulty in finding/disarming, and the max amount of damage the trap can do. I split this among the entire party.