Castle Keepers Guide

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Castle Keepers Guide

Post by T1Hound »

Every time I flip through, I'm amazed at all the goodness in the book.

Information on the wilderness, campaign, traps, advantages, and even recently the section of land as treasure.

Sadly, I don't think to use it more often at the table when running a game.

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: Castle Keepers Guide

Post by Omote »

I also do not use it at the table as a reference book. The beauty of the CKG for me comes when I just sit down before or after a game and page to a section and read through it. That's where the ideas start to flow, during downtime and working towards my next session or campaign. Though I do use many of the rules and ideas regarding spellbooks, starting spells, holy ground, etc.

The last campaign I ran stopped at 12-14th levels so we didn't get much to explore the high-level rules in that game - that's where the most "at the table" reference came from. Though, back in the day my group and I did playtest many of the high-level rules.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It is a very good book, definitely one of my top 5 books for game masters. My Top 5 are the 1E DMG, Book of the Righteous, the Pathfinder GMG, the CKG, and Ultimate Toolbox. Between them I never get "stuck" while creating anything. For Fantasy games. My Top 5 definitely changes with the genre.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote: I actually find charts more "appealing" only because they can make me think of things I hadn't considered in that combination before. Preference in presentation I guess.
That pretty much sums up why I love Ultimate Toolbox.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

spudeus
Ungern

Post by spudeus »

Treebore wrote:
serleran wrote: I actually find charts more "appealing" only because they can make me think of things I hadn't considered in that combination before. Preference in presentation I guess.
Hmm. . Treebore, I have the other 4 on your list but not the Toolbox. . . which looks to be OOP (doh! :cry: ).

I do have other chart-based supplements, like the Tome of Adventure Design and Raging Swan's Dungeon Dressing; I suppose they're somewhat comparable.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

spudeus wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Hmm. . Treebore, I have the other 4 on your list but not the Toolbox. . . which looks to be OOP (doh! :cry: ).

I do have other chart-based supplements, like the Tome of Adventure Design and Raging Swan's Dungeon Dressing; I suppose they're somewhat comparable.

Yes, they are somewhat comparable. I also have ToAD, but prefer Ultimate Toolbox in general. ToAD is good, though. Especially for its focus. UT has a much broader range of application.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Both Toolbox books are pretty fantastic. As is the 1e DMG. I find the Gygaxian Fantasy series helpful at times, too. But yeah, T1Hound, the CKG is a pretty good resource.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

It's a fabulous book, IMO.

Initially, I thought I would only use it as an idea generator and did.

But eventually, I began to use bits of it in my online games.

I think if I ever ran a face to face tabletop game, I would use it much more in my campaigns/games.

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

It's a good resource with lots of information and advice scattered throughout, much like the original DMG as others have said.

I've tried using a lot of the options, and overall I like them, but I find that "advantages" make the game too much like 3.x edition D&D for my tastes and I wont ever go down that path again.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Kayolan wrote:It's a good resource with lots of information and advice scattered throughout, much like the original DMG as others have said.

I've tried using a lot of the options, and overall I like them, but I find that "advantages" make the game too much like 3.x edition D&D for my tastes and I wont ever go down that path again.
Agree about "advantages", (as a CK anyway) but I would be fine as a playing utilizing more advantage - especially at the lower levels.

That said, I've handed out advantages in one of my games as a reward from a deity - mostly to add some flavor to the overall game and I'm the type of CK who likes to give out great stuff (low power, but very useful) to my PCs.

[Have they put "advantages" into the index yet, in the newer print version?] It's not in the 1st print CKG]

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth