Sample Deity Description From A Codex?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Sample Deity Description From A Codex?

Post by Traveller »

The title of the thread is pretty succinct. Would someone be willing to post an example of a deity writeup from one of the Codices?

Peter
Red Cap

Re: Sample Deity Description From A Codex?

Post by Peter »

Donn - Lord of the Dead
Originally Donn was a chief of the Milesians during the invasion of Éire and the subsequent battle to drive out the Tuatha Dé Dannan. He was not just a great warrior, but also too fond of the death and bloodshed that comes with it. He savored the taking of lives, especially from the Faery-born, in his many conflicts.
Donn won the many battles for the isle, aiding his people in the invasion, and is considered by the Gaels to be the Father of the hÉirannach. He has contempt for the Tuatha Dé Dannan and does not wish to ally himself with them if he can help it. Instead, he ferries the souls of the Gaels to his palace near the land of Éire at Tech nDuinn on a small island.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Ok, so do the rest of the writeups have this level of detail, or are the better known deities granted longer and more detailed writeups? Reason being that Of Gods & Monsters is getting reworked to fall more in line with the codices as well as the Codex of Aihrde, and I need to know how much detail to give in each writeup.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The ADD DDG was a nice write up. One or two pages up front for each pantheon, some suggestions on minor tweaks to basic play then each divinity got about 1/2 to 1/4 page.

I much prefer NOT rewriting the game or too many new classes for each pantheon.

Please do not employ Avatar except in pantheons where they "existed".
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

The problem with the DDG is that it focused on game details. You didn't actually get much of the history of the deity. Supplement IV was even worse, being nothing but stats. The Codices, as I understand it, don't focus on game details since deities are more forces of nature than an enemy to be killed.

If the better-known deities have a similar length writeup I can get back to OG&M because I'll have all the information I need. I can't comment on Avatars or artifacts in OG&M except to say they will likely exist in some form. I however can say I believe you'll like the end result.

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

Ok, so do the rest of the writeups have this level of detail, or are the better known deities granted longer and more detailed writeups?
They all vary. Some of them are 10+ paragraphs. All the paragraphs are short tho.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Yep, more history, purpose, etc is good. The priests or Clerics of these gods are what really need a write up, not too strict or specific as we want each CK to have some freedom in their world.

PLEASE stress gods/goddesses for Druids.. they always seem to be forgotten or Celtic only...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

PLEASE stress gods/goddesses for Druids.. they always seem to be forgotten or Celtic only...
Druids have gods? I've always ran/played them that nature itself gives them their powers.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

While in game terms we focus on their divine powers, druids were the professional caste of Celtic society. Sone druids were lawyers while others were physicians. Others were political advisors and lorekeepers. Thus not all druids were priests.

Celtic druids would be granted powers from a Celtic deity. Aihrdian druids get theirs from Mordius or, I think, Wenafar*. Other druid types get their powers from wherever the CK wishes.

*Correct me if I'm wrong.

Peter, would you be willing to PM me a copy of one of the longer writeups when you have time?

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

While in game terms we focus on their divine powers, druids were the professional caste of Celtic society. Sone druids were lawyers while others were physicians. Others were political advisors and lorekeepers. Thus not all druids were priests.

Celtic druids would be granted powers from a Celtic deity. Aihrdian druids get theirs from Mordius or, I think, Wenafar*. Other druid types get their powers from wherever the CK wishes.

*Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are probably right, history is not my thing. I just have never envisioned them as nature clerics. If they are, than they wouldn't be any different "game-wise" than a cleric who cast plant and animal-based spells. Kind of like the Illusionist.
Peter, would you be willing to PM me a copy of one of the longer writeups when you have time?
I'll send you a few different ones from the Codexes.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

The druid has been stereotyped, thanks to an imperfect understanding of the druid's role in society. In 1973 the trend was that the druids held rituals in henges, not knowing the henges were for astronomical observation. The stereotypical druid and historical druid are nothing alike.