Adventurer's Backpack.

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Gundoggy
Ungern

Adventurer's Backpack.

Post by Gundoggy »

I downloaded a copy of this today.

The comparison to Unearthed Arcana is very strong. I did like how they added back spellcasting for Paladins/Rangers/Bards like 1E at an extra XP cost. The new classes are unusual with a few having powers that may be extremely overpowered...for example the magic user who can add bonuses to dice rolls. Many of the other classes seem to have various combat bonuses...the skeptic in me sees this as potential power bloat similar to the 1E's UA and weapon specialization rules.

There's a thief that is virtually like a rogue but with an extra escape skill, similar xp chart.

I need more time to digest it. I will certainly use the modifications that bring back the old 1E flavour but I'm not sure about the new stuff yet.

Obadiah
Mist Elf

Re: Adventurer's Backpack.

Post by Obadiah »

Great to get some insight into this product. Thank you.
I used to have a signature, but now I don't...

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Not to mention the expanded equipment list and a small section on the planes and how they relate to Aihrde. Got my hard copy in the mail yesterday.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm debating on whether or not I should get this right now or wait for a sale. $20 for a PDF is a bit high. And from the things I've heard about it, it doesn't seem like something that I would get that much use out of.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Rigon wrote:I'm debating on whether or not I should get this right now or wait for a sale. $20 for a PDF is a bit high. And from the things I've heard about it, it doesn't seem like something that I would get that much use out of.

R-
Wait for a sale. $ 20 is too much. It has been a good read, but not sure I will get much actual game play out of it.

Gundoggy
Ungern

Post by Gundoggy »

It doesn't have any discussion on "The End Game: Why old characters never die" despite the description on the Kickstarter Page.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gundoggy wrote:I downloaded a copy of this today.

The comparison to Unearthed Arcana is very strong. I did like how they added back spellcasting for Paladins/Rangers/Bards like 1E at an extra XP cost. The new classes are unusual with a few having powers that may be extremely overpowered...for example the magic user who can add bonuses to dice rolls. Many of the other classes seem to have various combat bonuses...the skeptic in me sees this as potential power bloat similar to the 1E's UA and weapon specialization rules.

There's a thief that is virtually like a rogue but with an extra escape skill, similar xp chart.

I need more time to digest it. I will certainly use the modifications that bring back the old 1E flavour but I'm not sure about the new stuff yet.
Thanks.

I gonna go forit!

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

maximus wrote:
Rigon wrote:I'm debating on whether or not I should get this right now or wait for a sale. $20 for a PDF is a bit high. And from the things I've heard about it, it doesn't seem like something that I would get that much use out of.

R-
Wait for a sale. $ 20 is too much. It has been a good read, but not sure I will get much actual game play out of it.
Yeah, that was my thought. The next 50% PDF sale looks like the ticket.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Frankly, it seems like the Troll Lords jumped the shark on this one. I'll sell my hardcover for $10 plus shipping to anyone who wants it.

In fact, our group has decided to move on from C&C so I'm thinking about selling pretty much my whole C&C collection for $10 per hardcover & $5 for the modules. Send me a private message or email at [email protected] if you're interested. I have all the codices, the monster books, the PHB, and Gaxmoor in hardcover.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

So you're bailing on the system altogether? What did your group decide to switch to?

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

Could someone tell me the differences between the Magic-User and the Wizard?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

garydee wrote:Could someone tell me the differences between the Magic-User and the Wizard?
Yes, the magic user always sports a mustache and wears a man girdle. The wizard never ever wears underwear under his robes.

Enjoy the game,

Rhu. :P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Synonyms in the game prior to the back pack. Like thief and rogue.. damn the back pack makes us be specific. The new classes have synonym names and now do something different.. slight or significant is up to you, read, compare, contrast.

To me the back pack thief is a rouge with minor tweaks for cities making them for me even more of an NPC.
The magic user, if my memory is correct uses and makes magic items.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

hijinx131
Henchman

Post by hijinx131 »

The magic user channels magical effects to others, objects, spells or heal hp. For instance, a mu can add a bonus to an attribute check, add bonuses to hit and damage to weapons, increase the AC of armour, add effects to non-magic items and enhance someone else's spell. Later can transfer magical effects from one magic item to another being created or recharge wands and the like. Can't cast spells though. An interesting class, not sure how it'll work in play.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

maximus wrote:So you're bailing on the system altogether? What did your group decide to switch to?
We switched to a mashup of Astonishing Swordsman & Sorcerors of Hyperborea and Labyrinth Lord, since they've finally come out with a combined book for that. So far, so good. The AS&SH party is all at 4th level and the LL party has been created with hopes of getting a couple sessions in over the holidays. The plan is to run parallel campaigns with the two different systems in my home brew campaign until the parties get to 10th level or so. Then the parties get united or at least work together for awhile in a larger campaign arc, probably connected via Matt Finch's Cyclopean Deeps modules.

In a related note I'd still be up for selling some of my C&C stuff to interested parties. PM if interested.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Persimmon wrote:
maximus wrote:So you're bailing on the system altogether? What did your group decide to switch to?
We switched to a mashup of Astonishing Swordsman & Sorcerors of Hyperborea and Labyrinth Lord, since they've finally come out with a combined book for that.
That sounds kinda awesome. Where is it?
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Persimmon wrote:
We switched to a mashup of Astonishing Swordsman & Sorcerors of Hyperborea and Labyrinth Lord, since they've finally come out with a combined book for that. So far, so good. The AS&SH party is all at 4th level and the LL party has been created with hopes of getting a couple sessions in over the holidays. The plan is to run parallel campaigns with the two different systems in my home brew campaign until the parties get to 10th level or so. Then the parties get united or at least work together for awhile in a larger campaign arc, probably connected via Matt Finch's Cyclopean Deeps modules.

In a related note I'd still be up for selling some of my C&C stuff to interested parties. PM if interested.
PM sent.