Oriental Classes?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
parejf63
Henchman

Oriental Classes?

Post by parejf63 »

Was just wondering if anyone took on this project, before I make an attempt at it. Oriental Classes...

I am currently running a campaign in GOTHOS THE HUNT RISE OF EVIL campaign setting (OLD 3.) I want to give more to the land of ITHGANIN, More like feudal Japan..

Thanks

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Oriental Classes?

Post by Go0gleplex »

There are rumored to be 1-3 Oriental Codex books planned for future release, though no set dates and such.

If you haven't looked at the Crusader's Companion or the Knights of the Crusade/Society site downloads yet, it might be worth a look for you.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I have the old 1e Oriental Adventure book.

Years ago I tried my hand at converting the classes and it wasn't to hard. I don't know if I still have my notes on them. If I do have them I'll post them - it will be a few days though. I'm out of town for training so don't have my archive hard drive with my old notes.

If you can find a copy of OE, or at least the classes from it you should be good to go. If you can't find them, then you can take the current classes, change their flavor a little and you have a good start.

Oh yeah, armor, Oriental armor tended not to be as 'heavy' as European armor. No plate etc. Banded Splint, maybe an oriental ensemble would be the best. Mostly Laminar Cuir Bouille ring or the like.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Ninja = Monk-Assassin (assassin could be a half class)
Samurai = specialized fighter
Shaolin Monk = Monk with more weapons
Most are easy depending on how historic you want to get and then into which history chinese or japanese.

I would not wait on the Codex... not sure how game friendly they will be. Personally I have a hard time incorporating them.. even the Norse one.

I heard Relaxo had that ball too. I'd be in to do the Shaolin Monk.. was actually thinking on how to do Di Mak in its three variations just this am.
I'm in, class by class, add to the next Domesday.. each author can take a class.. make a nice theme for Domesday.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Captain_K wrote:Ninja = Monk-Assassin (assassin could be a half class)
Samurai = specialized fighter
Shaolin Monk = Monk with more weapons
Most are easy depending on how historic you want to get and then into which history chinese or japanese.

I would not wait on the Codex... not sure how game friendly they will be. Personally I have a hard time incorporating them.. even the Norse one.

I heard Relaxo had that ball too. I'd be in to do the Shaolin Monk.. was actually thinking on how to do Di Mak in its three variations just this am.
I'm in, class by class, add to the next Domesday.. each author can take a class.. make a nice them for Domesday.

Nice, I'm in !

Hmmmm , I've been back on a historic steppe kick lately (listened to lectures on late antiquity / Byzantine history lectures) so I'll try my hand at Mongol / horse barbarian. Or maybe the bushi

That said, I didn't find my notes on the classes ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

OK, I think I'll tinker with a minor variation to Fighter class for Samurai. Bastard Sword is a Katana? Thoughts?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Captain_K wrote:OK, I think I'll tinker with a minor variation to Fighter class for Samurai. Bastard Sword is a Katana? Thoughts?
Sounds good 2d4 damage. However, I'd say a true Katana is a master work weapon so either +1 to hit or damage (or both). However that would be a true katana and not a sword used by a common foot soldier.

I have the Mongol/Turk mostly finished so I'll take Bushi also.

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Katana and Naginata is closer to the long sword. Nodachi is more like the bastard sword. Note that more Samurai were trained to start and end the fight in a single pass (the Ia is the pinnacle of this art).

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Zanchin, Atemi, Kime, and Mai (sp).. yep all great stuff...

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Weapons adapted over for one of my oriental flavored home classes you might use;
New Weapons:
Jo – A short staff, typically three feet long. Sometimes dual wielded when utilized as part of a particular form of martial art. Enc: 1 Dmg: 1d4+1 Cost: nil

Bo – A more normal sized staff typically six feet long though more flexible and capable of a wider range of use in the hands of an expert. (use regular quarterstaff data) Cost: nil

Kama – A slightly crescent shaped blade mounted on a short haft. The nature of the blade allows for piercing and slashing style attacks and is capable of disarming an opponent if used in capable hands. Also capable of being dual wielded. Enc: 1 Dmg: 1d4 Cost: 3 gp

Yari – An oriental type of spear.

Sai – A spike-like dagger with two additional spikes curving slightly away. Looks much like a hand held trident with a narrow fork about a foot long. May be used to disarm an opponent when used by a skilled wielder or to catch and break a bladed weapon. May be dual wielded by capable masters. Enc: 1 Dmg: d3 Range 10’ Cost: 5 gp

Tonfa – Typically a two foot long stick with a handle near one end allowing the weapon to be used for parrying, lightening fast attacks, or grappling an opponent’s arm. May be dual wielded by a master user at times. Enc: 1 Dmg: 1d4+1 Cost: 2 gp

Nage-Yari – A three foot long javelin capable of being used as a piercing melee weapon or thrown as a light spear. Enc: 1 Dmg: 1d4 Range 20’ Cost: 4 gp

Tessen – Otherwise known as a warfan or steel fan. Steel ribs ending in razor sharp edges make this weapon very dangerous when in the hands of a master. When open the fan can be used in a manner similar to a buckler shield or as a slashing weapon. When closed it can be used to club someone or stab them. Enc: 1 Dmg: 1d3+1 Armor Class Bonus +1 used defensively and open Cost: 15 gp

Nunchaku – A pair of twelve inch long sticks joined at one end by a short length of durable cord or light chain. This weapon strikes hard as it is whipped around at high speed to strike enemies. A skilled master may dual wield this weapon or whirl it about as such speeds as to inspire fear in weak enemies.
Enc: 2 Dmg: 2d4 Cost: 5 gp

Kusarigama – As the name suggests, this weapon is a combination of a kama and ten foot long chain. At one end of the chain is the Kama and the other end is a 1-3 pound weight. Either end of the chain can be used to attack or the chain itself used to entangle an enemy. This weapon is considered a ‘reach’ weapon in terms of combat and loses much of its capabilities in confined spaces. Enc: 3 Range 10’ 1d4 (kama) or 1d3 (weight) Cost: 20 gp

Wakazashi – A small sword with a typically eighteen to twenty four inch curved single edged blade. Excellent for use in slashing attacks. Normally carried as a secondary weapon by Samurai or as a primary weapon non-noble warriors in the distant lands of its origin. Enc: 2 Dmg: 1d6+1 Cost: 25 gp

Shuriken – A disk or flower-petal-like throwing blade the size of an average palm and easily concealed. Used as a throwing weapon by assassins and spies primarily, it has never-the-less found its way into mainstream use by practitioners of martial arts and some priest sects. Enc: (1 per 5 shuriken) Range: 10’ Dmg: 1d3 Cost: 1 gp each

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Can I steal? With full authorship credit obviously. I'd like to compare and equalize with PH, Backpack, and Davis's Arms and Armor... Hey, where's your Katana?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I don't mind. That data is in my classes doc on the KotC site as well. Didn't do a katana or naginata since the class I was doing didn't use either...and I thought I saw the stats elsewhere for the katana for some reason though that could have been a delusion of my overworked brain at the time as well.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Thanks for posting that

You know one problem I hae is that when you mention Oriental Adventures, everyone always defaults to Japan, and actually a very narrow time frame of Japan's history.

Heck I do it myself (the name for the poor fighter is from Japan, not the or 4 names I can find easily with a google search on 'historic names for ancient Chinese soldiers).

I'm trying to break myself from that a little with the horse barbarian, but it is hard to un wrap my mind for the OE/Japanese default

One problem for me that I need help with is that ALL weapons are defaulted to the Japanese / Samurai weapons. I know fairly well what most Japanese / Samurai / Ninja etc weapons are (I may need help with the true name of them but I know mostly what exist). However, I'm much weaker on the weapons from China .... Sword yes but what type ... axe that too but what type, mace I'm not sure ... bow, steppe yes but china military I don't know & if so what type, cross bow , yes I know that one, pole arms, of course, but what kind was used ???

Armor is the same thing for me. I can easily picture the samurai in his armor, and the poor peasant fighting for the samurai lord, but china ... there is the terracotta army, but what army do they have on or represent ???

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

The Korean Horn(?) Bow was the world's most powerful at the time. Was a very cool you-tube history thing on it I stumbled across a couple weeks back. It pretty much allowed a one-sided victory over a numerical superior invader...which I think was Chinese if my memory isn't fritzing again.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I intend to do Chinese martial arts weapons.. my instructor has over 400 pieces in his collection... he's eventually writing a book on them... I've asked to help if I can turn them into a game version... will have nice images... some really cool stuff. Dao, Jin, General Quan's Dao, chain whips, iron claw, rooster claws, tiger hooking swords.. etc etc even an asian executioner's sword (possibly the only one in the states)...

I'm starting with Samurai because its "easy"... but I want to do a more "Shaolin Monk" class with key weapons... that said.. it will take a while.. the Shaolin class MIGHT also bring back stuff from old PH monk and possibly some of the more modern Dragon write ups too... TBD.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Samurai similar to fighter into Morty... started to look at old 1st Ed Monk vs current...

Shaolin Monk may be harder than I thought not to just be a rewrite.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Captain_K wrote:Samurai similar to fighter into Morty... started to look at old 1st Ed Monk vs current...

Shaolin Monk may be harder than I thought not to just be a rewrite.
Rgr that. I had the same issue with the Steppe Barbarian . I though it would be an easy reskin and melding of 1e OE & C&C. Then I started saw nothing fits the horse barbarian, and at the same time tried to fi what I don't like with the barbarian (of both all versions of AD&D & C&C) - yes I'm talking about the 15 foot intimidation and other issues - Soon enough I had written a whole new class.

With that, I'm balking at actually setting down and starting the Bushi ... I will do it soon enough , but I just can force myself to start now. I think/hope it will be easier than the Steppe Barbarian, but I'm sure once I open up the class and start retooling it things will change more that I plan.

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Bushi is another name for Samurai taken from their adherence to the code of Bushido after the early samurai adopted many of the practices of buddhism which also led the samurai to develop cultural talents such as flower arrangements, calligraphy, poetry, tea ceremony, etc. to offset their lives as professional warriors and the living swords of the masters they were sworn to service to; those masterless samurai being known as ronin.
(taken from "Way of the Samurai; History of Bushido; and History Channel documents.)

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I've made a few changes over time but here is the original version I was working on for ninja. Its more a movie concept with some history.

Ninja

BtH = Level -1

HD = d6

Weapons Allowed = All

Armor Allowed = Restricted (As Rogue)

Abilities [As Per C&C PHB]

Hide

Move Silently

Sneak Attack

Back Attack

Death Attack

Unarmed Attack

Unarmored Defense

Disguise

Poisons

Climb

Open Locks

Case Target

Abilities [As Per Thief-Acrobat]

Acrobatics: This is the skilled art of tumbles, flips, and all manners of bodily maneuvering based on balance, agility, and precision of motion. It is a technically kinesthetic knowledge, so those who are untrained may only attempt the most basic of actions at the Castle Keepers discretion, and as noted in individual descriptions.

Tightrope Walking (Dexterity): A skilled acrobat can ordinarily walk a tightrope (any sort of rope, or wire, of about one inch thickness) without the need for a check. However, under windy or wet conditions, a check is required, at the Castle Keeper's discretion, with the recommended difficulties as follows, cumulative per condition:

Light Wind / -1

Moderate Wind / -2

Heavy Wind / -4

Light Wetness / -1

Moderate Wetness / -2

Downpour / -6

Using a 10 Foot Balance Pole / +2

This ability assumes the character does not wish to travel more than their walking speed, or at a degree greater than standard walking (up to a 45 degree angle is allowable.) Movement at greater speed, and angles, but must require a check for success. Moving at running speeds requires a check at -6, and one at greater than 45 degrees, but less than 75 (more than this should be a climbing check) incur a -2. Finally, if the character is using a very thin (less than 1 inch) rope, a check is always required, and is made at -2. Any failure results in the character falling, suffering appropriate damage as applicable. Note: any character can use this ability, but those not so trained are always required to make a check, and are limited to half normal speed; they cannot attempt to move quicker.

Jump (Strength or Dexterity): A successful check allows the character to move a number of feet indicated by the modifier to the check, as detailed below. The maximum distance of any jump is a function of the character's height. The difficulty modifier is applied per foot of additional movement. Movement made in this way counts for the total distance a character can travel in a round. A failed check results in the character moving the minimum distance allowed for the type of jump, with attendant results; for example, if a character wished to perform a running jump across a seven foot gap, but failed, five feet would still be cleared, and the character would fall for the remaining two, with results appropriate to the situation. Note: no check is required to move the minimum distances allowed.

Type of Jump / Min Distance / Difficulty Mod. / Max Distance

Running Jump / 5 feet / +1 / +600%

Standing Jump / 3 feet / +2 / +200%

Running High Jump / 2 feet / +4 / +150%

Standing High Jump / 2 feet / +8 / +50%

Backwards Jump / 1 foot / +8 / +25%

Very fast characters (those with a movement of greater than 30 feet per round) gain a +2 bonus on all checks where speed and momentum are applicable, such as all running jumps. Very slow characters (those with a movement of 15 feet per round or less) apply a -2 penalty to all jumps.

Vault (Dexterity): By means of pole, speed, and proper placement, a trained acrobat is able to fling himself over obstacles, much like a catapult. The use of this ability requires a pole of at least 10 feet length, and at least 30 feet of running room; the longer the pole, the more room needed, typically at a 3 to 1 ratio so a 20 foot pole would need 60 feet to gather the required speed. This ability functions nearly identically to that of Jump, except the minimum distance is the length of the pole. For each additional foot, the character suffers a -1 penalty, with a maximum distance equal to the pole plus 150% of the character's height. No check is normally needed, if the character simply wants to cover the specified minimum distance; to land on one's feet requires a check. No damage is sustained from the use of this ability, and it does not protect the character from landing in a hazardous area. Use of this ability counts as the character's movement for a round. Alternatively, a lever mechanism, such as a springboard might be used. These follow the same rules as above, except the minimum distance covered is reduced to 8 feet; maximum distance and cumulative penalties, however, remain the same.

Pratfall (Dexterity): As a master of heights, able to negate, or partially reduce damage sustained from falls and other mishaps, skilled acrobats suffer less when falling. Whenever the acrobat falls, a Dexterity save is allowed to reduce damage. Every four levels attained, the character automatically reduces a cumulative die of damage, so that at 8th level damage is reduced by 2d6 damage; this means a fall of 20 feet or less deal no damage. Should the character fall a greater distance than this amount, a Dexterity save is allowed with a difficulty equal to double the dice inflicted (a fall of 50 feet would be a difficulty of 10, for example); success on this save reduces a number of dice equal to half the character's (rounded down) level.

Example: A 6th level acrobat is walking a tightrope from one parapet to the next and a sudden gush of wind causes the character to fall. He falls 70 feet. 1d6 dice of damage is automatically reduced, meaning he will be taking 6d6. He opts to make a save, with a difficulty of 14. He makes the save with a lucky natural 20, and reduces the remaining damage by 3 (half of 6) dice, suffering much less from the mishap.

Delayed Abilities

@ 3rd - Invisibility [As Spell 1 / Day]

@ 3rd Stunning Attack [As C&C PHB]

@ 4th - Featherlight [New]

Featherlight: A ninja with this ability does not leave trails and cannot be tracked, as if affected by a pass without trace spell. This is a permanent ability, though a ninja may opt to leave a track if desired.

@ 6th - Improved Invisibility [As Spell 1 / Day]

@ 6th - Wuxia [New]

Wuxia: The ninja has mastered kinetic motion and can bend the laws of reality momentarily. Once per day, a ninja can ignore a restriction on an acrobatic skill such as ignoring the height restriction on jump distances or can use the Monk ability of Deflect Missiles as those they were 9th level. If the latter is chosen, the ninja can, instead of deflecting, cause the weapon to return to its source, or have it attack another creature within range; either use requires the ninja to make an attack roll for a ranged weapon as normal, though any magical bonuses the weapon might have are used.

@ 10th - Dojo [New]

Dojo - Having gained the confidence of superiors, the ninja is given permission to open a dojo of his own. Each month, for one year, the ninja must make a Charisma check against a difficulty of 8. If the check is successful, 1d3 students arrive, seeking training. There is always a clan representative present at the ninja's dojo sent to act as spy, enforcer, and trainer; the clan representative is always two levels lower than the ninja PC and will act as instructor to any gained followers, freeing the PC to continue adventuring -- the clan representative will never adventure, and asking is cause for alarm. Students are all zero-level, having only basic skills, though they become 1st level ninjas after one year of training. Should the ninja gain 12 or more students, the clan will send an assistant instructor who is a 6th level ninja.

@ 12th - Quivering Palm [As C&C PHB]

XP Progression

2nd - 2876

3rd - 8351

4th - 17451

5th - 34901

6th - 78801

7th - 157601

8th - 314001

9th - 628801

10th - 795601

11th - 1110801

12th - 1275901

+ / Level - 157600

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Thanks.. can we clean that up and put it into the Domesday?

Doing some good creative day dreaming on the Shaolin Monk... going to have fun with that.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Go0gleplex wrote:Bushi is another name for Samurai taken from their adherence to the code of Bushido after the early samurai adopted many of the practices of buddhism which also led the samurai to develop cultural talents such as flower arrangements, calligraphy, poetry, tea ceremony, etc. to offset their lives as professional warriors and the living swords of the masters they were sworn to service to; those masterless samurai being known as ronin.
(taken from "Way of the Samurai; History of Bushido; and History Channel documents.)

Ok it took me a bit to find (I was defaulting to the OE class name) but here are names that fit better:

Ashigaru - Japanese - originally for soldiers that were little better than conscripts, but became the professional soldiers that followed the Samaria

JianZu (along with multiple other words that fit) - Chinese - poor foot soldiers

Another neat fact is that the 'shi' in Bushi' is a Chinese root word for master/teacher implying skilled mounted warrior when used in military combat contest

C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Was it the book of five rings that Musashi wrote? That's as good a source as any for a character or bushio code or philosophy.

Worked up a more training/level based approach to the Shaolin Monk, should be fun to write up..

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Captain_K wrote:Thanks.. can we clean that up and put it into the Domesday?

Doing some good creative day dreaming on the Shaolin Monk... going to have fun with that.
I don't care.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Great thanks, if this thing runs like it might, I'll type it up for you, full authorship to you obviously.

Cheers, Kirk

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Anyone have anything new? I kind of stalled after I signed up to run some games at Cleveland CON and I might run similar games at Origins and Gary CON.. so my brain has been engaged in those ruts... should be fun runs though. That said, folks, get your stuff to Morty.. he needs more for the next Domesday.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I have the steppe barbarian finished. Who do I send it to ?

I have the WuShi / Ashigaru / JianZu / Bushi or what ever can be call 'poor fighter' about 50% finished.

C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Morty is the current editor. Great work thanks!

I'm having the Shaolin Warrior class roll tested today. Mechanics is done, just needs art, history, and preface.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

ALL Asian Character classes will be thoroughly covered in the three Codices in the works now! I plan to define them according to the basic C & C format, and those beyond the standard. I am even going to try to add Chi/Qi/Ki and Martial Arts rules too and make it so that the movies and tales can be replicated in game-play with the formula on how to devise a 'Wuxia' style story for a campaign. I am writing on the book on Ancient China now, and it is the first and most important of the three due to the fact that all of them depend on its rules. These are tricky to write, but I think they will set a new high standard and create some good gaming energy.

Interest in Asian-themed gaming will be revived with these three books on a level unlike before. 'Oriental Adventures'...that was the past, it is time for three times that and it isn't fantasy anymore.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Well until the English man becomes an Chinese historian and writes his books we have each other and the Domesday.

Good luck, lots in Chinese history for you go though. Your past books have been pretty good.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

The good thing is, I am part Korean/Japanese in reality, so this isn't out of my expertise really. It is all part of my heritage and background, and boy is it! The Celtic thing is my academic expertise, and I am soon to add the Asian to it as well with a degree or two as well. Expect the same level or greater in these books of detail.