Need help with holy items – non Christian items

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Need help with holy items – non Christian items

Post by Lurker »

So, I’m about to paint myself in a corner on the Amazing Adventure Masque of the Red Death game. So, I need some help on ideas before I get trapped in my own cleverness

The group will soon enough be involved with religious but non Christian mystical casters, then some American Indian mystical medicine men, and I can see down the road a story arc that brings them into middle east mysticism (Jewish, Muslim, & Coptic/Egyptian, maybe ancient Persian).

I am trying to keep it as based on reality as I can, and I have no problem with Christian Holy items (including the different denominations & even Eastern Orthodox flavor of religion) . Plus, growing up here in Oklahoma, and having gone to multiple pow wows and dances, I have ideas for Indian items.

However, I have no ideas on what would be good items for the other religions. Of course a Jewish Star of David could be a holy symbol, but what else? What else would be a good Jewish holy symbol or the equivalent of holy water/oil. What is there that would work but doesn’t fit in the standard Christian holy paraphernalia? What about the other major religions – excluding far eastern religions, I can’t see them traveling that far … of course there is San Francisco and other China towns, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Need help with holy items – non Christian items

Post by Tadhg »

Mogen David, good choice.

Here are some other items for consideration:

Yarmulke (skullcap).
Phylactery (small leather box worn on the head – see M&T treasures).
Mezuzah (metal case containing scripture) worn on a chain or nailed to a doorway entrance.
Torah (old testament, 5 books of Moses) or anyone of the 5 books.
Hanukkah oil or the candelabra.

And of course, you can assign any powers at whatever level you wish.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Here's another one that might be interesting to use in game:

An Izmail knife (double sharp - used by a mohel to perform a circumcision) ;)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Nice, exactly what I needed !

Thanks

I should have at least caught the phylactery on my own ... I must be slipping or I need to pay more attention in Sunday school when we are going over the Old Testament.

Really like the 'double sharp knife' . If it is used for that holy rite, just think what it would do to an undead or corrupt servant of the dark !

Crud, just thought of something ... what is the ram's horn used to in one of the holy days .... ???

Now just need a few things from Muslim beliefs.

Egypt of course there is the ankh and scarab. But what else ?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Lurker wrote:Crud, just thought of something ... what is the ram's horn used to in one of the holy days .... ???
Another good call by you. Hehe, and lots of Sunday school stuff floating back into my mind from days long ago.

Shofar.

Joshua fit the battle of Jericho with those ancient trumpets.

:)

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Lurker wrote:Egypt of course there is the ankh and scarab. But what else ?
Maybe some of these?

Canopic jars.

Animal/human statues, especially cat/dog/crocodiles. Uraeus, for example.

Wadjet / Ujat (Eye of Horus).

Ankh.

Sarcophagus.

Burial implements.

Body parts (ie, Osiris, like hand, ribs, etc.)

Scepter / rod / crook & flail.

Boats.

Shen ring.

Winged sun.

Etc.... plenty of options.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Watch American Gods if you want old and new ideas mixed....
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

For Islam, there are some more general representations of stuff with some of these being more idealized...

Star and crescent (technically linked to the Ottoman Empire but has become associated in general use).

Colors (green, black, blue, gold are examples but also white and red, in geometric patterns) - not as helpful, probably

Rub el Hijb

Script, specifically certain words, which may function similarly to runes or other ideographic magic

And of course there's Arabic / Middle East overall with things like azure, lamps, monkeys, djinn, assassins, hookah, belly dancers (etc.) And this is before even getting to the esoteric side of lore.

There is quite a wealth of iconography at one's disposal if symbolic items are considered sacred.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

All, thanks for the input & ideas. All is very helpful!

I was actually busy at work the last few days ( I forgot how training someone new slows EVERYTHING down ) so I couldn't. reply earlier.

Shofar, yeah that is what I was thinking about. Just picture someone stepping up giving a loud note from one and the mystical power pushing back (turning) the vamp spawn charging the group ! Or , it being the focus of a sound burst type spell . Yeah I see that in the group's future.

Good stuff on Egypt and Islam too, thanks !

My wife got into American Gods, but I haven't watched it myself. I'll have to give it a look see and mine it for ideas.

C&C Society