Doctor Sleep – basis for a modern game

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Doctor Sleep – basis for a modern game

Post by Lurker »

So I just watched the movie ‘Doctor Sleep’ the other night.

I liked it, as a movie on its own, and in a way a follow up to the old SK ‘Shining’ movie . My wife didn’t like it because she went in looking for it to be a true horror movie .

That said, it was a good inspiration for an Amazing Adventures or even a ‘Modern Victorious’ game. With Victorious though, I’d look at it as more of a Gilded setting than the full up supper power default setting.

It could be either/or/both a mentalist or magic user based story arch. So, the group of good guys would probably need at least 1 or more similar characters. However, it could be interesting to look at it with a group without the assumed MU or mentalist character. Maybe a gumshoe looking into disappearances of children a demon hunter looking into seeing a person that looks EXACTLY like someone in a picture from over 100 years ago. Something like that.

The bad guys were :

Rose (Rose the Hat is what she introduces herself as) Super powerful magic user or mentalist – astral projection, mind reading, implies mind control, and other powers – Also she is VERY protective of her hat. That would be an interesting thread that didn’t get pulled in the movie. She is the leader and most powerful of her group.

Crow Daddy (not sure on his name) – the hunter tracker finder of the children with powers. Lots of sense type powers, and other powers and skills that would help in a hunt

Andi (Snakebite Andi – because of how she would scat her victims before she joint the group) VERY powerful mind control.

Grandpa (never hear his name) – VERY old – implies was alive in Ancient Rome – no specified powers shown.

There were 4 or 5 others in the group with no specific powers shown, but since they were part of Rose’s group they had to have some power to make them valuable to her and worthy of expending the soul power of their victims on.

The good guys, well who wants to talk about the good guys when your players will be the good guys :D

But, since they would make interesting NPCs on their own. there was Doctor Sleep – Danny from the old Shining movie – he buried his powers for a while in whisky, but eventually slowly opened back up to them – biggest powers sense the supernatural, sense the soon (natural) death of anyone. Comfort the dying, and the ability to trap the spirits/souls/powers of those with powers of their own. He can project and mind control (a willing target) from a distance. Plus, he was powerful enough to put up some fight off, for a short time, Andi’s mind control – where others succumbed instantly to it – so he does have some resistance

Abra Stone – young very raw powerful but inexperienced – mentally able to trap Rose, rebuff her mental control, project herself, and move objects with her mind, communicate from a far, object read, and the list goes on.

???? – I can’t think of his name – Danny’s friend. Implies latent sense powers – can feel when someone is a good person etc – Back woods hunting skills, and good shot – Does easily fall to Andi’s mind power instantly.

Oh yeah, Rose, something she said “There are others like us, but I’m just the most attractive” or something like that. Plus Danny’s “They are rich powerful well connected” with that, Rose (if you are playing AA) does more than likely have some socialite class levels.

Now, for you Monday Night Ne’er-do-wells, don’t worry. I already have 2 story arcs planned that will be close enough to this theme that you don’t have to worry about going full bore into this movie. However, it just may be interesting to cross paths with one or 2 of the bad guys here or there . :twisted:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Doctor Sleep – basis for a modern game

Post by Kayolan »

Never knew of this film until now.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Fun ideas for a game. Here's a link to see what the movie is about, I hadn't heard about it before either. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Sleep_(2019_film)

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Hope you all like it and even more that you can feed game ideas out of it

I will say I like the movie for what it was. That said, it isn't a horror movie - I hoped it would be but once I saw that wasn't the path it was taking I accepted it - and isn't even a surprise twist movie - like the "I see dead people" movie, so you can't expect that out of it.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

old school gamer
Red Cap

Post by old school gamer »

I tend to categorize movies like this at Urban Fantasy. It is not horror but there are horror elements in the story. The scene with the Baseball Boy was very disturbing, it did a very good job of showcasing how evil the true knot is. They are,as Danny's friend said,not people. Buffy, Charmed, Angel are all this kind of show. The BTVS episode "Hush", is very horrific as well many others series.