Castle Keeper's Guide

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
jimmyjimjam01
Henchman

Castle Keeper's Guide

Post by jimmyjimjam01 »

I hate to post something and just be complaining but I can't find anything when I search here for some reason. Is it because I use apostrophe "s?" Anyway until this week I hadn't checked in to see what is going on with C&C in a long time. And I remember back in the day not being able to get the Castle Keeper's Guide in print. Coming back to C&C, I see it's not available (but recently was?). What is the story with the CKG? Am I just looking for them at the wrong times? Will they come into print soon?

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Castle Keeper's Guide

Post by Captain_K »

I think it is for sale, they are updating it, so a big printing in the next update is coming... pdf for sure, but hard copy could be out of print.

If you really must have a hard copy, I might have one I'd part with... :}
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

jimmyjimjam01
Henchman

Post by jimmyjimjam01 »

So they're about to revise it and reprint it?

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

There is a kickstarter to fund the updates and printing... you can likely still join it and get a good deal.
Personally I'm in for the leather bound version... soon to have the full leather set...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I just checked out the store and based on the lack of ability to find the CKG in anything but PDF I bet they are out...

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

That's usually the trigger for running a new kickstarter - they are running low enough on physical stock that they need to make a new print run. That's what happened with both the CKG and the PHB; stock was low enough to warrant a new time-investment to update the art and formatting and make a print run.
~DMSamuel
---

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

The Castle Keeper Guide is still a core rulebook? I see that in the new Kickstarter it is missing, so perhaps to play C&C we need just the PHB and Monsters & Treasures book? The Castle Keeper Guide is obsolete?

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Not obsolete - but they just did a KS for it last year, so did not need to add it to the PHB kickstarter... and the CKG has never been a core book in the way D&D uses the term core book. The Castle Keeper's Guide has always been optional. The only thing you need to play is the PHB and if you want to run games as the CK then the Monsters & Treasure book is needed. The CKG brings optional rules and expands PC levels beyond 12.
~DMSamuel
---

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

A Kickstarter for the Castle Keeper guide last year? Didn't knew that!

I have the Castle Keeper where a fighter holds a dead companion. Is that the last printing?
While I like the full colour prints of these last years, I think the black and white editions, with the green bands on cover, had a certain retro charme. I have the PHB, CKG and MT trio of that printing.

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Yes, the one with the injured companion being carried is the most recent CKG cover.

I also favor non glossy, non-color prints. The new CKG will have about 30 extra pages with new content, so it will be the first CKG that will be different from the other printings of the CKG.
~DMSamuel
---

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

When will it be available?

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

It's in editing right now, so maybe 3-4 months?
~DMSamuel
---

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

Good news. The 8th printing of the PHB is going to be available during the end of 2021 instead.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

mostrojoe wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:05 pm
The Castle Keeper Guide is still a core rulebook? I see that in the new Kickstarter it is missing, so perhaps to play C&C we need just the PHB and Monsters & Treasures book? The Castle Keeper Guide is obsolete?
The CKG is a book of OPTIONAL rules. Same type of book as the ADD&D Unearthed Arcana was. PHB & M&T are the CORE rule books for C&C. M&T has both "Monster Manual" & "DMG" in one book.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Interesting. I had walked away from C&C a couple years ago to play other OSR games but recently found my old C&C campaign notes and started thinking about diving back in as a couple other campaigns are winding down.

Funnily enough, when I was searching for something else on the Internet a few days ago I stumbled upon the KS info about the Castle Keeper's Guide, though it looks like release has been delayed by several months. Recently I watched a review on youtube of the CKG, which I never owned, but it got me intrigued about it. Now I think I may just grab this new printing since it sounds like there's good material in there regardless of what specific game you play.

I also see they combined the Monster & Treasure books, which seems pretty cool. Unfortunately I've sold all my C&C books to various people and online dealers the past few years. But recent trades have given me a nice credit at one of the online sites and it looks like I can snag most of the C&C stuff I want/need to get back in from them. I've already come up with a bunch of tweaks to my old house rules cribbed from other OSR games that I think will fit seamlessly into C&C.

So the latest KS update from Troll Lords was for backers only. Can anyone tell me what was in it? Do they have a firmer release date for the 3rd printing?

Thanks!
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Its troll time, who knows.... they're working on it...

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

;)

Yeah; I have to admit that I smiled when I saw that the original delivery date was last September. Obviously the pandemic may have something to do with it, but some things never change. I think both kickstarters I backed from Troll Lords were more than a year late in physical fulfillment. But with the new content it seems worth waiting rather than buying the old CKG so I'll just keep checking back...

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

The CKG has always been the one book that suffered from delays. I remember back on the day I referred to it along the same lines as Chinese Democracy or Duke Nukem Forever... :D
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Julian Grimm wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:39 am
The CKG has always been the one book that suffered from delays. I remember back on the day I referred to it along the same lines as Chinese Democracy or Duke Nukem Forever... :D
Ah, Duke Nukem Forever... i remember that delay. The difference between it and the CKG though, the CKG was ultimately a quality product. Heh.

-Fizz

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Here's the latest update from Feb. 17th, 2021 from the Trolls about the kickstarter CKG.

"Chapters 1-5 are going into layout and will be followed in short order by 6-7. Things are picking up now! Trollzah! The plan is to lay this out in tandem with the 8th printing of the Players Handbook starting on Monday. This way both books will work nicely together. And we can begin building the improved index as well."

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Thanks; so basically it's still a few months away?

And having been away myself for awhile, what's the deal with the 8th printing of the PHB? Any difference in content? Or just some layout & editing changes? I ask because I'm about to buy the 7th printing to replace the 6th printing I sold a couple years back. Just don't care for pdfs, even if they're free.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Persimmon wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 pm
Thanks; so basically it's still a few months away?

And having been away myself for awhile, what's the deal with the 8th printing of the PHB? Any difference in content? Or just some layout & editing changes? I ask because I'm about to buy the 7th printing to replace the 6th printing I sold a couple years back. Just don't care for pdfs, even if they're free.
Might be easiest to get descriptions of the new printings by going to the kickstarter sites to check them out.

PHB: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ck ... escription

CKG: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ck ... escription

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Thanks; I had seen the CKG KS, but not the other one. So now it looks like I'll be forking over for the Adventurer's Spellbook and the new Castle Keeper's Guide for sure. Not sure about the PHB at this point as I'll likely be picking up the alternate cover of the 7th printing.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Another thing that just occurred to me concerning the new printing of the CKG. Have they finally added a Harlot table? Of all the egregious omissions, that has to be the worst. The AD&D 1e DMG has one, along with Gary's awesome clarifications of the different kinds of harlots. The Siege Engine needs harlots, that's all I'm saying....

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Persimmon wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:25 am
The Siege Engine needs harlots, that's all I'm saying....
With a Primary Attribute being constitution.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Persimmon wrote:
Another thing that just occurred to me concerning the new printing of the CKG. Have they finally added a Harlot table? Of all the egregious omissions, that has to be the worst. The AD&D 1e DMG has one, along with Gary's awesome clarifications of the different kinds of harlots. The Siege Engine needs harlots, that's all I'm saying....
If I could be persuaded, I could post my Complete Streetwalker.

So, in a sense, C&C has them. Just not made public.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I'm intrigued....and just happy to see that people are taking this in the spirit intended. If this was Dragonsfoot I'd probably already be banned. :twisted:

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Grandpa wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:46 pm
Persimmon wrote:
And another being Dexterity :lol:
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Ancalagon wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:23 am
Grandpa wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:46 pm
Persimmon wrote:
And another being Dexterity :lol:
:mrgreen:

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I really wanted to like the CKG when it was finally released after years of waiting for it. I wish I could say that I found it useful but honestly I never had much use for it and the tables were kind of messed up with the numbers (bad editing). As a curiosity it was fun to read in part, but overall it added little to nothing to my game, anything I did try to add I quickly regretted adding it and went back to using just the PHB.