Half-Elf Empathy bonus

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
mostrojoe
Red Cap

Half-Elf Empathy bonus

Post by mostrojoe »

The half-elf Empathy charisma bonus is added to the attribute checks only? Or being saving throws a sort of attribute checks themselves, we can add the Empathy bonus to the saving throws too (for an exemple against Charm)?

Thanks!

Grandpa
Ulthal

Re: Half-Elf Empathy bonus

Post by Grandpa »

"all charisma checks". Not charisma based saving throws. Empathy is an emotional understanding of others, not a shield against magic.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I disagree. A Charisma save is just another form of a Charisma check.

It's up to you really (or your CK) if you want to allow it. I do when I run games and it doesn't break the game.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

"A half-elf’s uncanny ability to empathize with others is reflected in a +2 bonus to all charisma checks."
That says interpersonal interactions to me. The section is headed EMPATHY: which means: the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Maybe the writer wrote it using the wrong words to emphasize?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm not saying you are wrong, I just disagree with you. When I read "a +2 to all charisma checks," I apply it to all charisma checks. Saving throws are just another type of attribute check. And I know from playing in a couple of different con games with Steve, that's how he does it.

There is no right or wrong answer here. I've played in games where it wasn't allowed and I've played in ones that did. Both games were fun, exciting, and rewarding. It is a preference, just like anything in game. There aren't any rules in the book that I won't change to better fit how I want to run my games.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

Thanks for the answers, I think I'll go withe Empathy bonus good for STs too.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If one assumes the half-elf can subtly detect the intent of the caster, such as "they're trying to deceive me and make me think I'm their friend" then a bonus to CHA saves seems appropriate. If its not, then its not. There would be no adjustment if the half-elf is prohibited from this interaction, like the caster is mind-shielded or has does not radiate "emotion" in any way.

The Castle Keeper needs to decide the extent of empathy, much as the illusionist does with their ability to detect illusions (whatever that ability is/was called.)

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

The way I see it is, the half-elf is only getting two primes, so you may as well give them the +2 to those charisma saves.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I think we all failed our Empathy check here...

if we're not careful...

It is a minor thing, and I would bet many even forget they have it, not sure how often it has come up in years of gaming.. but its good for the PC to recall it and try to apply it whenever they can.... then the DM must decide, but the writing is clear, but like all things, "go with it, its just a game, we're here to have fun." The more I play, the older I get, the less I "give a fuck" about hard and fast rules and just let the team at the table have some fun with an eye to, "what will this ruling do to the game 7 games from now?"
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.