A Reunion with Old Friends

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Persimmon
Ulthal

A Reunion with Old Friends

Post by Persimmon »

Well, the rest of my C&C books arrived today in the mail. Thanks to a credit from trading stuff in at Noble Knight, I ended up snagging the Leather version of the CKG (which I never owned before), the alternate cover 7th printing of the PHB, Adventurer's Backpack, Elemental Spells, and "Assault on Blacktooth Ridge," since I wanted an entry level module and I hadn't owned or played that one before. The funny thing is that while I remember some things from a couple years ago when I last played, I had forgotten about other rules or tweaks that were different from standard 1e/2e D&D. And a number of things I had cooked up house rules for, like criticals, have perfectly workable options in the CKG.

I also recalled really disliking most of the classes in the Adventurer's Backpack, but now I see several with real potential for my setting. For one, it's great to see the thief back; always hated the "rogue." The Rune Mark fits well with the concept I have for a new campaign. The Warrior Priest reminds me of DCC clerics with their cure wounds ability. I can see a dwarf warrior priest being pretty badass, or a sohei along the lines of the warrior monks in Medieval Japan, rocking a naginata. And I kind of like the magic-user, which is like the Old School Essentials new Mage class, though I think it might be a bit fiddly in play.

And as goofy as it might have been in The Battle of Five Armies movie, I can totally see one of my players buying a war boar for his dwarf PC.

So glad I wandered back into C&C....
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: A Reunion with Old Friends

Post by Tadhg »

Excellent!!!

And well done.

I bought my C&C boxed set from Noble Knight 15+ years ago . . whoa!!

Assault on Blacktooth Ridge is one of my all time fav modules!! So well written with great characters and fabulous lore if one runs the mod in Aihrde. If not ignore, but the mod, IMO would fit in any campaign world.

All the best for a great game and let us know how it goes.

:-D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Persimmon
Ulthal

Re: A Reunion with Old Friends

Post by Persimmon »

Yeah, I have a basic idea for a campaign, but I didn't feel like writing an intro level adventure and the plot description actually sounds like I can fit it pretty easily into my setting exactly where I want to start things since the party will be demi-human heavy and the theme will involve lots of humanoids. I'm thinking the endgame may even involve mass combat in a dwarf hold occupied by orcs a la the Battle of Azanulbizar, assuming the characters survive that long.

My AS&SH campaign ended when all the party members died. :twisted: At least it wasn't in the same adventure, though dragging it out made it worse in some ways. The sole survivor of the original group joined our Labyrinth Lord party (same campaign setting) and promptly died in his first adventure with that group in such a way that resurrection was not an option. But it was heroic and he saved others by sacrificing himself.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....