Rules that not in C&C. Could they be part of it?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Persimmon
Ulthal

Re: Rules that not in C&C. Could they be part of it?

Post by Persimmon »

Those are cool and can speed up combat in that they up the damage factor, though I suppose one can do that with criticals as well.

I've thought about adding action dice from DCC, as well as their expanded crit range for fighters & barbarians, though not the deed die. I already do these things for my Old School Essentials (B/X) games. It can certainly help PCs once they hit the mid levels since they get more actions in the form of attacks and spells.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

jahydin
Ungern

Post by jahydin »

So I just got done reading Worlds Without Number (WWN) (awesome, free, and B/X based, check it out!) and really like the idea of Shock damage.

Every weapon (and monster attack) has a shock value in addition to the damage die type in the form of Minimum Damage/Maximum AC.

Examples:
sword: d8, 2/AC12
two handed sword: d12, 2/AC15
mace: d6, 1/AC18

So if you're attacking with a sword and facing a foe with AC 12 or less, at a minimum, you will do at least 2 damage, even if you miss! A mace does at least 1 damage to foes with AC 18 or less.

I like that it speeds up combat and gives further depth to weapon selection.

WWN lets you add attribute and magical bonuses to the shock value as well, but that might be a little too much for C&C...

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

jahydin wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:54 am
So if you're attacking with a sword and facing a foe with AC 12 or less, at a minimum, you will do at least 2 damage, even if you miss! A mace does at least 1 damage to foes with AC 18 or less.

That is about the worst rule I have seen in a long time. I run towards you with a knife, trip and fall on my face and you take damage. :roll:

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

I like the extra damage they give you, but keeping track of the parrying & AC bonuses, etc. could be a bit of a chore. But we did use those at higher levels in our BECMI games.

jahydin
Ungern

Post by jahydin »

Grandpa wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:21 am
That is about the worst rule I have seen in a long time. I run towards you with a knife, trip and fall on my face and you take damage. :roll:
Lol. Well you'd have to have the mindset of competent combatants that aren't actually "missing a swing", but are just failing to do significant damage during their 10 seconds of combat. I think it's more interesting that, despite what is rolled, two experienced fighters will eventually wear the other one down.

But understand why some wouldn't like it.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

jahydin wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:31 pm
Grandpa wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:21 am
Lol. Well you'd have to have the mindset of competent combatants that aren't actually "missing a swing",
No, competent combatants DO miss during fights. How did you come by that false data?

jahydin
Ungern

Post by jahydin »

Grandpa wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:43 pm
No, competent combatants DO miss during fights. How did you come by that false data?
Right, I agree. I was trying to get at that under this system combat is abstracted to the point that each combat roll is 10 seconds of intense back and forth between combatants. Even if you're not connecting well enough to roll your damage dice, you're still wearing down the opponent's hit points slightly if they lack the proper armor to protect them.

Also, the inverse it true, especially at higher levels. If you succeed in your combat roll and roll damage, that doesn't necessarily mean you hit them; it could just be that you successfully exhausted them a bit more than a failure would have - bringing them that much closer to the final deadly blow!

I think this way of thinking makes more sense if you think of Hit Points as Gary did in AD&D:
"Because these [Hit Points] reflect both the actual physical ability of the character to withstand damage - as indicated by constitution bonuses- and a commensurate increase in such areas as skill in combat and similar life-or-death situations, the "sixth sense" which warns the individual of some otherwise unforeseen events, sheer luck, and the fantastic provisions of magical protections and/or divine protection."

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

As they put it in Hackmaster 4e: "As your character gains levels he gets tougher and can take more physical abuse. Do you think that cop in Die Hard could have taken all that damage as a rookie cop? No way. He'd have probably passed out from the broken glass in his foot alone. But he was a higher level hero and took the hits to complete the adventure."

jahydin
Ungern

Post by jahydin »

Seeing a Hackmaster quote has made my day a tiny bit better. :D