help with light spell ideas

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

help with light spell ideas

Post by Lurker »

Ok been looking and thinking about light spells in context of Middle Earth types magics

So, Light (cantrip) is equal to a torch, nothing special there.

Darkness (the reverse Daylight) bright light for 60 Ft - I'm kicking around the idea that the negative to daylight for goblins and the like would apply to them in the spell radius.

Now I'm looking at a 'sun light' spell - a trimmed down sunburst (honestly I think Sunburst is a weak spell for an 8th level spell), that instead of just being light (like daylight) is TRUE sunlight so it does damage to Vamps and the like and without a doubt triggers all the negatives for goblins and their kin.

Now though I'm hitting a wall on 'moon light' . Moonlight and star light are special to elves (all the Middle Earth back history etc), so I'd say they would have a spell that uses moon light. However, what special effects would it have ??? Obvious would be werewolves, but on the other hand I picture Tolkien Werewolves more like Lupe Garou Skin Changer type instead of cursed moon driven changes, so maybe not that. Elves love moon light and star light, goblins and orcs HATE all things elves, but what would the light the elves love DO to or against goblins orcs and shadows servants ????
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Persimmon
Ulthal

Re: help with light spell ideas

Post by Persimmon »

There's that "Moonbeam" 5th level druid spell from Unearthed Arcana, but it's pretty weak. You could have it cause fear, perhaps offer some kind of saving throw (CHA?) bonus and maybe even do damage if they invoke Elbereth like some kind of holy light. It should definitely embolden allies.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I like the idea of that fear effect, especially tied to CHA.

Damage at the lower level may be a bit much, but make 2 spells one low level, and then a beefed up version that harms the enemies of Elbereth / Varda.

Yeah I like that 2 spells for the price of 1 idea .

Thanks !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Sounds like you have to light and dark. Continual flame... I made a spell continual daylight to go with darkness and daylight on a permanent basis.
Also a fleet of druid spells to give a group or touched creature the vision of another (eyes of a dwarf or eyes of an elf)... that gets to the whole, what is a human to do in a group of elves outside or the elf underground with dwarfs...

Star light and moon light... magic items that only work in them, can only be read in them (your middle earth ref).

But creatures of the night should not be harmed by star and moon light, I would generically say...

So you could make a simple buff spell as you like that help special classes or races do something in real moon light or star light and say its half as good at night if its not natural moon or star light... could be a pain to worry if its overcast so no star light or the phases of the moon or you might love that detail.... or said spell allows you to create in large areas those types of "low light" that elves and halfling (?) can take advantage of say underground..

Seems pretty niche in general.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Cap K. Rgr great idea on a spell that will help out the elf and hobbit characters even if it is overcast etc.

C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm looking for light spell ideas in my campaign too. Thinking of introducing a Wand of Illumination from AD&D since the M&T doesn't list it.