The great summer ride

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

The great summer ride

Post by Captain_K »

If more or less in a hurry, folks on horse / foot, the shores of Normandy to the boot of Italy, how long would it take starting in Spring? What great wonders of the ancient world should they see on their way, what people, what path, what mountain passes, and famous place monsters, peoples, and ghosts... OH did I mention, there is a great, multi-cultural uprising / war taking place during the crossing? So think Chevy Chase European Vacation meets a Caesar/Hitler-esque continental struggle for power... but who could kick such a thing off, all suddenly, without warning, its as if there is a German style blitz...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: The great summer ride

Post by Lurker »

NICE !

Depending on the era, what at least 2 or 3 sub-cultures in France, and 3 to 4 in Italy.

Now when you cross into Italy, is their stop in Malan, and if it is ... is it the Malan in the reign of terror where the Duke would release his dogs into the streets and hunt down people for fun ???? Will it be safe for them there, or will they be drawn in to the terror by needing to save a friend, a maid, a wealthy patron?

Or do they avoid Milan and go along the coast, and get tied into the fighting between the coastal cities trying to figure out who will be the masters of the W Medd. If they make it through there, there is always Florence that has issues internally and with everyone else around theme (being rich buys many enemies !)

As for the war, that is just another phase in the cycle of the Guelfi and the Ghibellini, the Emperor and the pope (or is it the Pope and the Emperor, I can never remember which side is which on the Guelfi / Ghibellini fighting), or has France decided to meddle there now to stir the pot, or is it Spain not happy that it is another Italian wearing Peter's shoes? Or is it ALL of that at once ?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Sorry Lurker, I missed my own post string... yes, its all that at once but older... Ares is bored so he finds yet another way to pick a fight with his sister Athena, via a proxy army he figured out how to harness people's natural tendencies... he has his new alliance of followers launch a fight, a major spear thrust, all the way into the Gallic (french) tribes to gain a prize that she would want.... the Gallic people are strong but tribal and cannot tribe by tribe defend against this lighting fast invasion stealing goods and slaves. Get in, get what you want, retreat with the goods before a real resistance (multi-tribe) can be mounted.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Nice

I like the feel of 'Ares is board so annoys his sister with a proxy war' which has ramifications in the setting … Hmmmm with you having each area have it's own societal set of gods. How are they going to like the annoying little Greek boy mucking things up in their areas too, or on the edge of their areas which will destabilize their area as it bubbles over across the boarder. Every pebble thrown into the water causes a ripple …

Will the Gaul/Celt powers get annoyed at the Greeks and surprisingly band together, will the Teutons see an opportunity and attack since the pawns being used by Aries are away to the W and leaving their own homelands open for invasion (or Huns or Slav or Norse) . Or, will those same areas become jealous of the ones being used by Aries (with all the slaves treasure and fame they got in the raids) and then attack them just to knock them down a notch or 2.

Yeah this could be a lot of fun !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The Norse always raided into other areas, the Romans used the Germanic horse tribes against the Gauls... so I am keeping this a small lightening drive to a specific city (Orlean) for a specific goal and retreat... pardon the deific pun, but a spear thrust into Gaul after a march over the mountains. Some abuse of the folks along the way, using the non-humans as the scapegoats where they can.

The Gaul tribes will unit to harass the retreat, and be pissed off at the destruction of a town or two and some crops.