Gods & Legends

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Persimmon
Ulthal

Gods & Legends

Post by Persimmon »

Anyone order Gods & Legends yet? Would love to see a review when someone gets it. I'm still waiting patiently for the hard copy of the Adventurer's Spellbook to drop and I may grab this then when I pick up the spellbook.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Re: Gods & Legends

Post by mostrojoe »

Is there any difference from "Of Gods and Monsters"?

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

It's a complete re-do. Jason Vey posted a summary over at odd74
https://odd74.proboards.com/post/247413

#### Partial quoted here

What Lies Within Gods & Legends

Gods & Legends consists of three main parts: The Anvil of the Gods (a how-to section), Humanoid Pantheons (from humans to dwarfs to orcs), and real-world mythologies.

Anvil of the Gods

Pantheon of Beliefs: In the first part of Gods & Legends you find a host of guidelines and suggestions for running deities in your campaign. Beginning with Deities in a Role Playing Game we explore the role of deities at the table, both for divine-based characters and the mundane fighter and rogue. The section covers role playing the deities themselves, the how and why, struggles with the deities, and a short description of the powers they all possess.

Gifts and Boons, the Holy Gift: Here we explore the roles of various classes in the deity/character relation: clerics, paladins, and druids.

Gods and Avatars: The abilities of gods transcend most characters, but it is always possible to use the god’s avatar, whether your games are high level or low. Learn how to use them no matter what your campaign.

Healing and Holy Symbols: These sections delve into one of the major aspects of character play and how it relates to the gods.

Humanoid Pantheons

Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Gnome, Bugbear, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc, Hobgoblin, Lizardman, Kobold, Giant, Ogre, Troll, Dragon, Fey, Centaur, Mermen and Sahugin.

Real World Mythologies

Here we step lightly into the real world and plug in the stat blocks for Celtic, Egyptian, Germanic, Norse, and Slavic deities. Each entry exists as a stat block of the necessary information, as these are covered in far greater detail in the Mythos books

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I just thumbed through it last night.

Seems OK.

Like all past books, you get out of it what you will.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Personally I found the Mythos books too overblown and badly written, even though the research seemed okay. But I would like a handy one volume book that brings all the gods and info on their worshipers, holy symbols, etc., together so I'll likely grab this. My homebrew setting combines most of the Mythos they reference already, along with some of the Asian ones, so this should be useful enough for me. Also interested in the demi-human deities to expand what's in UA.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I liked the original deities and demigods of the old ADD days. each cultural history noted, a few fictional ones (Elric and The grey Mouser), plus the head of each Non-Human race. Then the old Dragon magazines added all the non-human pantheons.

I guess I use those as my yard stick. I also run our world our history with as few changes as I can make to allow them all to exist in their golden era in their neck of the world at about 800 AD. In this way, everyone gets what they want, what they like, the creatures and stories are there, the maps, etc.

Any new world with new gods, but keep the races unchanged seem shaky to me.

I think its great everyone get's their day in the "world building" sun, but its hard for me to blend them all.

I need a field of world wells or some gaming device to take folks from this reality to any other...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

There was twitch steam on this last night... Here is the link you can watch it, Stephen and Davis are pretty damn funny together.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1174280192

[Best quote... "Davis: Was that the summer I tried to kill you. Stephen: Yeah..... Davis: Glad that didn't turn out differently."]

-Mike

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Captain_K wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:10 pm
I liked the original deities and demigods of the old ADD days. each cultural history noted, a few fictional ones (Elric and The grey Mouser), plus the head of each Non-Human race. Then the old Dragon magazines added all the non-human pantheons.
Yes, since stats for Gods are not really needed I use my original Deities and Demigods for most stuff. It's not like they show up and interact with PCs more than once in a lifetime.

jahydin
Ungern

Post by jahydin »

mgtremaine wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:15 pm
It's a complete re-do. Jason Vey posted a summary over at odd74
https://odd74.proboards.com/post/247413
I never been to odd74. Looks like a ton of great conversations and C&C topics though.

Thanks for sharing!