News for the new PHB?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
jahydin
Ungern

Re: News for the new PHB?

Post by jahydin »

Just got my book!
slimykuotoan wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:07 pm
I hope the new phb doesn't have red text; I find that far too hard to read.
Not sure if you found out yet, but all the headings are red text. The background is green this time though, so for me it made them easier to read, but not sure if that's true for you.
Persimmon wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:48 am
I saw an unboxing video for the new PHB which raised some concerns about the printing since it looked like there were issues with cutting pages off and centering. In terms of content, however, I'm curious about the monk. Steve had said they were changing it a bit. Can anyone tell me what the tweaks are? Did they give them better martial arts damage? That was the one thing they really nerfed from AD&D. I don't care about lots of the other abilities. I just want my monks to be kung fu badasses.
Took a quick look at the Monk for you and as far as I can tell, they're mechanically the same. The pictures are way better though, so maybe that's what he was talking about?

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Probably not in at this point, then. My seventh printing book is in great shape. Still eagerly awaiting the (once again delayed) Adventurers Spellbook.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

The 8th printing is pretty slick! 8-)

Kudos to the revisions to some spells that reflect rules from other C&C books. E.g. updating First Aid to reflect the bandaging rules in ABP and the illusionist versions of the Cure Wounds spells to reflect the option in the CKG that requires the illusionist to succeed an attribute check rather than the recipient failing one for the healing to occur.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Ancalagon wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:38 am

Kudos to the revisions to some spells that reflect rules from other C&C books. E.g. updating First Aid to reflect the bandaging rules in ABP and the illusionist versions of the Cure Wounds spells to reflect the option in the CKG that requires the illusionist to succeed an attribute check rather than the recipient failing one for the healing to occur.
Don't talk me into changing my mind, man!

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Ancalagon wrote:

Agreed. Like how they incorporated some rules from CKG (like Illusionist healing). Very glad I got this even though I have 7th.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I got the pdf only. Looks pretty nice though.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Persimmon wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:24 am
Ancalagon wrote:

Pick up copy for a special occasion... like your birthday. Or a significant anniversary. Or opening day of your favorite sports league. Maybe even Arbor Day.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Ancalagon wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:15 am
Persimmon wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:24 am
Ancalagon wrote:

Pick up copy for a special occasion... like your birthday. Or a significant anniversary. Or opening day of your favorite sports league. Maybe even Arbor Day.
Plus if you buy digital through DriveThru at least, you get it free every time there is new printing. :mrgreen:

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I kind of like the new one so far...
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

They added the XP charts etc. for upper levels from the CKG, right? Seeing as I'm using those now for conversions, that's a selling point.

But I'd still love an omnibus book with all the PHB & ABP content along with all the spells from the various sources...Doubt we'll ever see that though.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Persimmon wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:12 am
They added the XP charts etc. for upper levels from the CKG, right? Seeing as I'm using those now for conversions, that's a selling point.
Both upper level XP charts and upper level powers listed in the Class descriptions for each.

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

Did they do anything different with the upper level abilities, or are they pretty much carried-over from the old CKG?

Just my $.02, but I think some of the upper level stuff seems a little contrived, and some might have been better spread-out at lower levels. If a character (especially a fighter) makes it to L12, s/he starts getting a lot of "stuff".

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

paladinn wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:11 pm
Did they do anything different with the upper level abilities, or are they pretty much carried-over from the old CKG?
Looking at the Fighter in both, it is a direct port over from the CKG

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

paladinn wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:11 pm

Just my $.02, but I think some of the upper level stuff seems a little contrived, and some might have been better spread-out at lower levels. If a character (especially a fighter) makes it to L12, s/he starts getting a lot of "stuff".

I don't like it, I wish they had left the CKG material in the CKG. I was on the fence about purchasing this new printing but that's done it for me, I'll stay with my older printings.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Kayolan wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:31 am

I don't like it, I wish they had left the CKG material in the CKG. I was on the fence about purchasing this new printing but that's done it for me, I'll stay with my older printings.
I get new printings free. So no problemo for me

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Grandpa wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:14 am
Kayolan wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:31 am

I get new printings free. So no problemo for me
Good deal!

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

So what is the new way of organizing spells? I prefer division by class & level rather than alphabetizing all of them.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Persimmon wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:35 pm
So what is the new way of organizing spells? I prefer division by class & level rather than alphabetizing all of them.
The lists are by class, level. The verbose descriptions are alpha