Rangers & Dex as a Prime

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Kyramor
Skobbit

Rangers & Dex as a Prime

Post by Kyramor »

Hi everybody!
I'm thinking of letting players, who choose the ranger as a class for their pc, to choose Strength or Dexterity as a Class Prime; as an alternative, I'm thinking of substituting Strength with Dexterity as a Class Prime for Rangers. A part from melee combat and maybe sort of swimming and climbing checks, Dexterity can be more important to a Ranger, or at least as important as Strength, above all for Scouting missions and tasks that require Stealth. What do you think of this choice? This way demihuman Rangers could have both Dexterity and Wisdom as Primes, since most of the Ranger's Class Features are based on these two Attributes. What do you think? Many thanks!

Greyblade
Hlobane Orc

Re: Rangers & Dex as a Prime

Post by Greyblade »

See my previous answer to your other post :) Have fun :)
Durka durka Muhammad djihad

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

There are game balance reasons Demi-humans have only 2 Primes and Humans 3...

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Kyramor wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:23 pm
Hi everybody!
I'm thinking of letting players, who choose the ranger as a class for their pc, to choose Strength or Dexterity as a Class Prime; as an alternative, I'm thinking of substituting Strength with Dexterity as a Class Prime for Rangers. A part from melee combat and maybe sort of swimming and climbing checks, Dexterity can be more important to a Ranger, or at least as important as Strength, above all for Scouting missions and tasks that require Stealth. What do you think of this choice? This way demihuman Rangers could have both Dexterity and Wisdom as Primes, since most of the Ranger's Class Features are based on these two Attributes. What do you think? Many thanks!
Leave it as is. I agree with Grandpa WRT demi-humans having 2 primes and humans having 3. Put the onus on the player to decide which attributes are most important to designate as primes if the player chooses to play a demi-human ranger.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

jahydin
Ungern

Post by jahydin »

I too would leave it as is. I use the Tertiary rules in the CK Guide to give characters some more variety though. Maybe give that a shot?

If you don't have it handy, you choose 3 Prime, 2 Secondary, and one Non-Prime (Demi's choose 2, 2, and 2). The CBs are 12, 15, and 18 respectively.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Its your game, do as you please. CHA has three classes. The classes based on primes is a construct that was forced. INT, WIS, DEX have classes that utterly make sense. STR OK... but Monk CON? Why two of each (not counting that darn Bard)? Why have a knight at all? Just allow the paladin to have various alignments... Its a game with history and flavor and Primes I do not believe have too much history. So you're world will not end or even notice if the Ranger can be STR based or DEX based at the player's decision. Just makes two slightly flavored Rangers at most.

Here is one for you: Subteranean Ranger only good underground, the ranger for dwarves and drow and such... same class, huge flavor change. CON for dwarf and dex for drow to be stereotypical? Why not!

Its a game, have fun with it. If it does not work, change it back.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I did away with class required Primes years ago. It's never hurt my game.

Or, you could do like Treebore does, he considers all class abilities to be Prime for that class regardless which Primes the character takes. It works out perfectly fine also.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Rigon wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:58 pm
I did away with class required Primes years ago. It's never hurt my game.

Or, you could do like Treebore does, he considers all class abilities to be Prime for that class regardless which Primes the character takes. It works out perfectly fine also.

R-
Both work great