Adventurers Spellbook - spell questions

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Zombieman
Skobbit

Adventurers Spellbook - spell questions

Post by Zombieman »

Love the book, my players are having fun with the spells already.

The Warding spells have a mechanic for a 'casting roll', which essentially gives the recipient an SR equal to that roll. What's a casting roll? Is it just a vestige of another ruleset?
I'm inclined to just give the recipient an SR of 18, or maybe 12 for the duration.

Greater/Master Vampiric Touch both mention a saving throw versus death or the the subject gains 1d6 corruption points, I'm not seeing any rules for corruption points and probably will just disregard this part of the spell. Just in case though, does anyone know how these work? I'm always interested in a little good ole fashioned corruption... It seems more like a DCC ruleset thing.
In the desert...I saw a creature, naked, bestial...
~Stephen Crane

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: Adventurers Spellbook - spell questions

Post by maximus »

Zombieman wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:10 pm
Love the book, my players are having fun with the spells already.

The Warding spells have a mechanic for a 'casting roll', which essentially gives the recipient an SR equal to that roll. What's a casting roll? Is it just a vestige of another ruleset?
I'm inclined to just give the recipient an SR of 18, or maybe 12 for the duration.

Greater/Master Vampiric Touch both mention a saving throw versus death or the the subject gains 1d6 corruption points, I'm not seeing any rules for corruption points and probably will just disregard this part of the spell. Just in case though, does anyone know how these work? I'm always interested in a little good ole fashioned corruption... It seems more like a DCC ruleset thing.
I haven't gotten to that part of the book yet, but I'll check it out. I would assume the "casting roll" is just a siege check? Not sure on the "corruption points". I haven't heard of that up until now.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Dunno. Sounds like they'd be something from the Black Libram but nothing when I looked. Just more stuff that got added and left unexplained as usual I guess. From the sounds of it, probably goes against CHA or Alignment in some fashion. That casting roll sounds like some really gimicky and likely unnecessarily complex mechanic. Definitely not something I'd be using at my table myself.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Could it be from Hallowed Oracle? I don't have any of that stuff.
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Sorry, I don't have the Adventures Spellbook so I skipped over this thread at first.

The spells, and the associated Corruption Points, are from Amazin Adventures' Companion book
The additional cost to giving oneself over to dark forces is
that of becoming corrupted by the energies of the deeper
dark. In order to represent this, all occultists must begin play
with an Alignment (AA p.49), even if the game is not using
the alignment rules for other characters. Occultists can begin
play as any alignment they like, with the GM’s approval.
For every ten points of sanity lost, the occultist gains one
darkness point. For every five points thus gained, the caster
suffers a corruption level. Each corruption level imparts a
cumulative -1 to all future sanity checks and madness saves,
and causes the occultist to become a bit less human

AA Companion p59
I will say I do like the spells from the AA Companion especially the 'Greater/Master' versions of the spells. I have adapted them into my Masque of Red Death AA game (some only for the evil corrupt bad guy spell casters of course)

As for the AA Corruption, it is a bit too clunky. I went with something more based on the ole D&D Ravenloft corruption rules, However, it has been a long time since I read over them and the guys that played in the Maasque game never really did anything 'evil' so I didn't have to put the corruption house rules into use
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Zombieman
Skobbit

Post by Zombieman »

Just a follow up of thanks for the responses! I am going to keep things simple and ignore corruption for now. I do like that idea though, like perhaps the caster can push their luck to cast more powerful spells with the risk of corruption. Probably best left in the realm of artifacts or other powerful magic items.
In the desert...I saw a creature, naked, bestial...
~Stephen Crane