"Advantages"

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
paladinn
Ulthal

"Advantages"

Post by paladinn »

Hola all,

Looking over the section in the CKG on "advantages" (i.e. feats). I know that one of the really appealing things about C&C is that you can play without a skill system and without feats. I'm sure that appeal was one of the things that influenced WotC to develop 5e to be feat-less (in the core). 3.5 got totally carried away with feat trees and chains and whatever; and Pathfinder dialed the whole thing up to 11.

Has anyone had any experience using "advantages" in a limited/reasonable manner? The CKG allows 6 of them over a character's career, regardless of class. My instinct is to limit the number even more, and to keep them for more basic, martial characters, i.e. fighters and rogues. There would be 2 exceptions to that limit. If a player wanted to swap a class feature for a feat, it would probably be allowed, as per the CKG. I've already replaced the Combat Dominance feature with my rendition of Cleave. The problem is, casters (esp. wizards) don't have a lot of class features beyond spells. Second, in 5e it's allowed to take a feat in lieu of a stat increase (ASI) which everyone gets every 4 levels. I wouldn't mind something like that either, except that C&C doesn't have ASI's. But I'm personally open to that too :)

Any words of wisdom?

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Re: "Advantages"

Post by Captain_K »

Yes, there are house rules with feats. Omote has a nice simple list with some racial and some class or stat based. not too powerful. gain one every 3rd lvl I think. They alternate with a skill (think horse riding, or fire building, etc.), bonus stat point, etc. Been using it from 1st to 14th lvl no real issues and it does make this person or that person a tad more unique.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.