Unusual Magic Item Creation

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Unusual Magic Item Creation

Post by Captain_K »

We all know the mage or the cleric or the greater powers can create items in the usual way.

What unusual items have you had created in unusual ways, or even a std item in an unusual way?

In Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos world a powerful sword can be created by the soul of one close to you joining with the weapon upon their death. The character literally caries forward their fallen comrade.

I have had so much luck or unluck surrounding a group trying to kill a goblin scout hiding behind its wooden shield that I declared and they fully believed the shield to be really good at protection when you curled up behind it in total defense.

What do you all have?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

anvil242
Hlobane Orc

Re: Unusual Magic Item Creation

Post by anvil242 »

Back in 2nd Ed days, I had a dwarf who hated trolls (no offense, lords). Our party ran into a nest of them, probably at least a dozen, and we managed to kill them all. While looting the lair, the dwarf was on lookout when a troll elite showed up. I managed to shave off most of his hit points before the party even noticed the fighting, and the rogue stuck his head out in the hall, threw a dagger and took the trolls last hit point. Our DM at the time tracked our HP and informed me that I had done the whole fight on 1 HP, and that because of my hatred of trolls, my axe had gained the quality "Trollslayer" and would catch fire anytime trolls were nearby.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

That is just the kind of thing I think is perfect for the creation of game/story driven magic items. lots of meaning to the players, not a great game monkey wrench.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

anvil242 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:01 am
Back in 2nd Ed days, I had a dwarf who hated trolls (no offense, lords). Our party ran into a nest of them, probably at least a dozen, and we managed to kill them all. While looting the lair, the dwarf was on lookout when a troll elite showed up. I managed to shave off most of his hit points before the party even noticed the fighting, and the rogue stuck his head out in the hall, threw a dagger and took the trolls last hit point. Our DM at the time tracked our HP and informed me that I had done the whole fight on 1 HP, and that because of my hatred of trolls, my axe had gained the quality "Trollslayer" and would catch fire anytime trolls were nearby.
Awesome!

That too is how I like to create magic items weapons. Let the weapon grow into something of legend, or start with a legend that the players are following (it helps when the GM knows the campaign arc and can give hints and guide the party 3 or 4 adventures before the specific event happens) and the group uses it and grows it's legend further.

Back in the day, I had a Paladin and we were in a 'War of the Roses' type setting. I was loyal to the king and a witch (she had been in a family that was disloyal but she was trying to prove her loyalty and save her neck from the chopping block) convinced me fates hinged on me getting a sword from an old grave in the North Country. I got it and found out it was from an ancient long forgotten knight that had been the king at his time guard who died saving the king from assassins. Ended up that it had some magic (guard that searched us would miss it .... made the party's thief mad when we figured that out ... and it would appear as a common belt knife of go unnoticed in courtly dress, so I could wear it all the time even when around the king etc). Then when assassins attacked at the court ball that marked the end of the war after the rival families surrendered or fled the country, it magically appeared into my hand and I could automatically block an attack on the king if I gave up an attack. I saved the king, got stabbed multiple times, nearly died, and the witch somehow knew to have prepared cure poison to save my life ...

Right now in my girls' face to face game, I have a thief with a master worked dwarf dagger and a berserker with a master worked dwarf hand axe, and they both have ingots of master work quality dwarf iron. When they go to the next town they will meet a dwarf smith that will make matching weapons for what they already have and give a 'dwarf blessing' on them. Probably something like the thief can use the dagger as a thrown weapon in the normal thief back attack, and an axe that does .... not sure what extra yet I'll have to figure out what the next big baddie will be to make it fit.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Great stuff, keep at it and let us know the fate of the new magic items.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Once had a half-orc ranger commission the creation of a minifig (think figurine of wondrous power) based on himself, made completely out of the horn of a slain troll lord. He could use it three days in a week for a maximum of 3 turns (total) but it came to life and functioned identically as he did but with its own sentience. Unlike a clone, it did not seek to kill the original. It was equipped with a generic sword+2 whereas the real guy had a longsword +2, giantslayer.

That was pretty fun.