Resolution mechanic

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
paladinn
Ulthal

Resolution mechanic

Post by paladinn »

There have been several attempts at a resolution mechanic, including the Siege engine. I've perused C&C, 5e, Blood & Treasure and Chris Perkins' amazing work. I think I've come up with something that combines elements of all of them.

Basically there are 3 levels of proficiency or experience bonus:

1. "Common" or Experience bonus - this is a bonus for basic competence based on experience. It's equal to 1/4 one's character level, rounded down. This would mostly apply to Non-proficient saves, but could be applied to other non-proficient activities if the GM agrees. It's just a recognition that experience counts for something.

2. Proficiency bonus - Equal to 1/2 one's character level, rounded down, minimum of 1. This is used for race or class-based skills, or for proficient ability-stat-related activities

3. Expertise - Equal to one's character level. This is only for specific iconic class abilities or skills. A rogue/thief's climb or stealth abilities, a ranger's tracking, or a bard's performance would qualify. Again, subject to GM fiat.

Anything could be adjudicated ala C&C or 5e, rolling D20, adding ones ability-stat modifier and whichever bonus applies. The target number is assigned by the GM, with a default of 15 (or maybe 18 - DM fiat). No real need for "primes"

This way, if a class is really good at something (say a ranger's stealth), s/he could get a bonus without being Quite as good as a rogue.

Any thoughts?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Resolution mechanic

Post by Go0gleplex »

One thing to keep in mind is that primarily, all resolution mechanics are abstracts and designed to minimize rules clutter and keep play simple. This does result in many less than optimal mechanics in favor of more streamlined play...something that most players prefer to having to do a lot of thinking or record keeping. Personally, I'm more in favor of ability/skill levels acting as the actual modifiers and using a 1-5 range.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the more you tweak and add things to the core rules of a game, the more likely you are to induce a fatal flaw that will break said game; so such tweaking and add-ons should be kept as few and specific as possible to reduce such an inevitability.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

an_th
Skobbit

Post by an_th »

I think I see what you are trying to achieve here.
This would be too crunchy for me, but if you like that, then there is nothing stopping you.

I would suggest though that C&Cs Primes/Non-Primes is designed to deal with what you are working on, and is part of what makes it a lighter and faster-moving system than others. And the CK can always adjust the necessary result based on the circumstances.

You may consider using C&Cs optional Prime/Secondary/Tertiary attribute to achieve a simplified version of the three-tiers that you are proposing.

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

an_th wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:12 am
I think I see what you are trying to achieve here.
This would be too crunchy for me, but if you like that, then there is nothing stopping you.

I would suggest though that C&Cs Primes/Non-Primes is designed to deal with what you are working on, and is part of what makes it a lighter and faster-moving system than others. And the CK can always adjust the necessary result based on the circumstances.

You may consider using C&Cs optional Prime/Secondary/Tertiary attribute to achieve a simplified version of the three-tiers that you are proposing.
Thanks.. still working out the kinks. The prime concept tends to make C&C pretty swingy. There's such a huge difference for characters with and without a prime in a given stat. And I don't know if characters should be able to add their entire level to Every roll (thief skills would be a big exception). And I think characters with greater experience should be a little better (at least in saves) than 1st level characters.

paladinn
Ulthal

Post by paladinn »

C&C differentiates between prime and non-prime abilities by varying the target #. Btb that's a 6 point swing; that's pretty big. And you get to add your entire level to most rolls unless what you're trying is another class' skill; then you get nada. Trying to alleviate some of that disparity.

I am using a flat target # of 15 as a default. Ability checks for proficient stats (i.e. "primes") or skills use the proficiency bonus. But even if you're not proficient when doing something, you can use the common bonus. I just think a 20th level character should be able to do even some not-proficient stuff (especially saves) better than a 1st level character.

Do y'all think there's still a need for a prime bonus or top of proficiency?