What current setting do you use for your C&C games?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I'm interested in the DCC setting. But haven't decided if I really need it or not.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I haven't gotten the DCC setting, yet. The price is astonishing. Once it drops to about 20% retail, I'll get it.

Metathiax
Red Cap

Post by Metathiax »

I use the original Greyhawk boxed set mainly because the Aihrde campaign setting isn't converted to C&C yet, unfortunately...

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Metathiax wrote:
I use the original Greyhawk boxed set mainly because the Aihrde campaign setting isn't converted to C&C yet, unfortunately...

Neither is Greyhawk, chieftain. Although I read you, its easier to convert from ADnD than from D20...
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Metathiax
Red Cap

Post by Metathiax »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Neither is Greyhawk, chieftain. Although I read you, its easier to convert from ADnD than from D20...

Touch!

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Luckily the codex isn't really high in d20 stats. There is a section that has soem stuff but it is easily converted. I used the spells as is and the monsters aren't that hard to get converted.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

[quote]Code:

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:
I haven't gotten the DCC setting, yet. The price is astonishing. Once it drops to about 20% retail, I'll get it.

If you ever find anything from Goodman Games at 20% of retail let me know.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Scurvy_Platypus wrote:
A tweaked around version of Palladium Fantasy.

I should do this. I have always loved the Paladium Fantasy setting. It is freakin awesome, IMO.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

catenwolde
Ungern

Post by catenwolde »

Lurker wrote:
However, I've recently become enamored of the idea of a "Morea" campaign setting - no, not "Dwarven Moria", but Morea, the name given to southern Greece by the Frankish crusaders and Venetian lords who fashioned a short-lived but vibrant state there after the 4th Crusade. The basic idea of the ancient citadels and tombs being areas of exploration is thus augmented by the existence of extensive classical Greek and Roman ruins, the fundamental background becomes much more familiar to players, and the outside threats more easily recognizable.

Well, it's a plan at any rate ...

Sounds great! My home brews normaly have a historic base too.

The temptation I'm fighting now is to translate the nations and armies of Islam into Orcs, of course. Too simplistic. Instead, I'm thinking it would be a nice twist if they were Elves, and Byzantium was Dwarven! The human states of the West would be Crusaders, but by this time (the 4th Crusade) they would be out to dismantle the remains of the Byzantine Empire as well.

Ah, good times.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Treebore wrote:
If you ever find anything from Goodman Games at 20% of retail let me know.

Definitely. Me too. I must say that it's worth the price, especially if you get it from Amazon or another wholesaler. 70 bucks is a bit steep, but I buy so few things nowadays thanks to C&C (and not having to play catch-up with the latest badass/clutch D&D 3.xe supplements), that I can splurge a bit on a really good setting.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

There's certainly some impressive elements to the DCC setting. The amout of material you get for your $70.00 is worth it in today's gaming market for sure. However, while good there was nothing about the setting that "popped" for me. There is nothing that really makes it stand out from the other typical fantasy settings. This is not neccessarily a bad thing, especially if you are looking for stock-fantasy but are burned out on Greyhawk, Known World, etc.

..................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:
There's certainly some impressive elements to the DCC setting. The amout of material you get for your $70.00 is worth it in today's gaming market for sure. However, while good there was nothing about the setting that "popped" for me. There is nothing that really makes it stand out from the other typical fantasy settings. This is not neccessarily a bad thing, especially if you are looking for stock-fantasy but are burned out on Greyhawk, Known World, etc.

..................................................Omote

FPQ

The one thing that does differentiate it from stock fantasy is the ongoing line of excellent support modules we receive in the DCC line. One of the maps that comes with the boxed set indicates the locations of the DCC releases prior to the sets release. Also we can count on ongoing support for the forseeable future. If this doesnt interest a potential buyer, then there is still a great setting to be had within the box.
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Yeah, well, $70 for me is a big too much for something that is, effectively, going to be read once and mined for the parts I like, and the rest discarded. I don't own any of the DCCs, so that element is pointless for me, and ongoing support is useless, as well, since I have my own setting(s) to use, and this is just a modifier for those. I'm not saying its not worth it for others, but I can't justify that price for myself. Right now, though, it lists on Amazon at about 40% off, ranging to about 40% more, too.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

That is what kept me off the Wilderlands as well. Price range is too high and I have enough problems with my ongoing Airdhe vs Greyhawk dilemma to complicate it more.

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

I use a setting called "Fantasy Earth," because I've never really found any other setting which is so beautiful to run as some slightly embellished history of our world. It's a mishmash of the 1000s through the 1600s - for example, while England and France may be warring for a hundred years, Nobunaga and Jamestown are also there, plus some fantasy elements. What I like about this setting is that there's so much material about it already in existence, it is already so interesting and engrossing for me and my players, it inspires the imagination and lets us put as little or as much feeling and attachment to it as we want, and all I have to do to run it is fantasy-ize the material in a way that allows for C&C-style characters, monsters and adventures. In fact, the setting may never be exactly the same across two sessions.

I was initially inspired to run this setting while I was playing an old DOS computer game called Darklands. The game was an almost entirely realistic portrayal of medieval Germany except for some minor details such as that praying to Catholic saints had immediate effects, alchemical potions could be brewed in a field camp, and, oh yeah, there were some gargoyles and dragons and stuff to be killed. This game drew me in more than any other fantasy computer game, because it was so easy for me to place myself in that setting and get fully immersed in it while still being able to apply my real-life personality. And, by the way, I'm not even of German or any other European/Slavic heritage!
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

catenwolde
Ungern

Post by catenwolde »

Ah yes, Darklands. It was probably the best all-around computer rpg ever, IMHO - character development, setting, tactics, and exploration, as well as overall feel. We played a GURPS campaign using the Darklands guidebook as a campaign setting, and had great fun.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I'm gonna have to check this out. I love Germanic themed worlds. I'm definately going to have to look into this game.

Emryys
Red Cap

Post by Emryys »

Wow I remember Darklands!
Very cool game and the world seemed huge....

catenwolde
Ungern

Post by catenwolde »

For those interested in Darklands, it's available for free (legally, as "abandonware") at the Underdogs website:
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=278

You'll have to figure out how to run DOSBox on modern machines, but it's well worth it. I don't think the excellent Clue Book is included at the Underdogs site, but I think I have a pdf somewhere ... will root through my archives.

Cheers

catenwolde
Ungern

Post by catenwolde »

For those using DOSBox, the D-Fend front-end program makes it much much easier to run.

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

I am running it with my homespun gameworld "Hakur".

The primary campaign world is the "Western Lands", which is a pseudo European land with the following peoples:

Swashbuckling Spanish Themed Dwarves (Yes, they look like little Anigo Montoya clones, some with Conquistador Armor)

A neopolitan "French" society of Sun Elves, humans and many, many Half and Quarter Elves living side by side.

A society of "Gypsy" like Halflings and Humans living in large traveling wagon/cart cities mixed with a nice touch of Mongol Horseman.

Northern "Barbarian" tribes of Germanic Inspired Vikings.

A "Roman" Empire themed culture and a league of "Spartan" like city-states.

The remains of a once great empire, themed off a mix between Imperial Russia/Prussia/Germany of WWI, in looks (they are pseudo-Middle Ages with a few minor "advanced" technologies, like rifles), filled with near endless noble houses, intrigue and beauracracy. An old Emperor handed out Noble titles like Candy at the height of the Empire, which helped usher in the Empire shrinking to its present size. It's a land of paperwork, with an underground built upon forgeries.

50 Useless Trivia Points from Serleran

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

DARKLANDS!!! Awesome game, no doubt. *two thumbs up*

.................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Currently it's a homebrew, though Yggsburgh and the surrounding area is in there, and Bard's Gate is up north. In theory, the land is to the east of the campaign world I've had since 2e, Nevere.

Next time it will be Greyhawk, most likely.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Another lover of the Darklands game here. I so wanted it to be expanded upon.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Ok I have it DLed can anyone tell me how to install it?

catenwolde
Ungern

Post by catenwolde »

It's been a while since I did this, so I can't provide detailed instructions, but Google a program called DOSBox. It allows you to run old DOS games on new machines. It has a crappy front end, so you can then download a program called D-Fend to use for actual navigation. I remember it took a little while to figure out, but eventually was a snap. I also enjoyed many hours of Duke Nuke'm after getting this set up.

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

catenwolde wrote:
It's been a while since I did this, so I can't provide detailed instructions, but Google a program called DOSBox. It allows you to run old DOS games on new machines. It has a crappy front end, so you can then download a program called D-Fend to use for actual navigation. I remember it took a little while to figure out, but eventually was a snap. I also enjoyed many hours of Duke Nuke'm after getting this set up.

Another cool way to do this is with Microsoft Virtual Machine and FreeDOS.

50 Useless Trivia Points from Serleran

Ghul
Ulthal

GREYHAWK / YGGSBURGH

Post by Ghul »

Greyhawk 576 CY with Yggsburgh located at the confluence of the Eery (Urt) and Neen (Nemo) Rivers.

Campaign journal begins here with lots of chapters following and a revolving cast of characters:
http://homepage.mac.com/ghul/Personal1.html

--Ghul

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm leaning toward DragonLance, but am also open to running a FR grey box campaign or my homebrew, Morrine.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007