View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Turning undead 
Lore Drake

Post Turning undead
Rather than using a random dice roll to see how many were turned, set the number of HD turned equal to the total number of HD attempted, and set the Challenge rating at that same number.

...Oh, and allow clerics of different alignments to attempt to turn each other (but NOT destroy regardless of level) and allow paladins to turn evil priests.

For anything that has the ability to "turn" which is attempting to turn something else which also has the ability to "turn" (or in this case "counter-turn"), roll a d20 for both, rerolling ties. Lower roll fears higher roll.

Brian Miller

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:25 am
Battle Stag

Miller, not a bad suggestion. I'm not sure why, but I do love the random aspect of the mechanic.

Also, as far as I know, there is no limit to the amount of times you can TU (as long as it's not the same "group"). In your version, TU becomes more powerful... with random 1d12 (1d6, 1) there is a chance to be a powerful turn attempt or a weak one. Random, baby!

Your tweaks to the mechanic are very good though.

......................................Omote

FPQ

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

I tweeked an oops in the original posting which was supposed to say "number of HD turned equal to total number of HD attempted" rather than "number turned equal to total number of HD attemted."

Minor grammatical change, major change in meaning.

Brian Miller

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:27 pm
Ungern

I have a basic question about Turning Undead. Let's say a Cleric successfully rolls to TU, the result being that the UD creatures fear her. What do you do next?

Do you allow other PCs to attack/kill the UD creature while it cowers in fear?

Does the Cleric now take control of the UD creature and make it do her wishes?

Or is there some other general course of action?

Master of Animals

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:05 am
Battle Stag

I allow other PCs to attack the turned undead as long as the turning cleric doesn't approach within 10 feet.

If the cleric is evil and successfully turns the undead, then that evil cleric can control the undead indefinately. The controlled undead creatures are at the whim of the evil cleric and will do whatever the cleric wishes within the capability of the servant undead

.............................................Omote

FPQ

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:11 am
Profile WWW
Mogrl

I think page 121 of the second printing under Turned Undead pretty clearly answers your question, growler. I think the next paragraph on Evil Clerics answers the rest of it too.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:25 am
Ungern

Thank you to all who answered my question.

Treebore, I appreciate you providing page numbers in the PHB - that was a great help.

Serleran - outstanding commentary on upper level undead. The options you present really open up the way we can run a game.

Master of Animals

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]