protecting a companion

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
jman5000
Ulthal

protecting a companion

Post by jman5000 »

how would you rule protecting a companion.

for example. a mage is casting a spell, and you as a fighter want to make sure that the spell isn't disrupted from all those archers who are planning on firing arrows at the mage.

How would you play this out?

Cheers,

J.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I would take a rule from some other game systems I have that allow for this, heck even 3E has this. The way I would do it, off the top fo my head, is to allow them a SIEGE check, in this case the CL is +2 for everyone they are protecting the mage against. If they make this check they can add either their shield and DEX bonus to the Mage or half of their BtH, whichever way they choose to defend.

IE either using their shield, or parrying blows with their sword.

Thats how I would do it initially, until I think of, or see something better.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

I can think of two ways offhand.

First, treat the fighter as cover (assuming he's standing in between the archers and the mage). 75%-90% is probably about right. Then just apply the standard cover/concealment rules. Those modify the attack rolls of the archers. Anything that misses the mage by that modifier or less instead hits the fighter. Then use the fighter's AC to see if he gets hurt or if it deflects off his shield / armor etc.

Second, if the fighter is actively trying to block the arrows, treat it like the Monk's deflect arrows ability. Except he's not a monk so he doesn't add his level to the check. (Can't recall the exact mechanic of that right now.)

-Fizz

Tank
Red Cap

Post by Tank »

If there's one attack in particular, and the fighter is ready for it, I'd allow him to jump in front of the wizard and take the full blow. The kind of situation I am imagining is a group of hobgoblins leveling a ballista at the wizard or an evil warlock preparing to point a Wand of Fireballs at him. If the fighter wins initiative, gives up his turn, and makes a dex check at CL equal to the enemy's hit dice he could take the full damage of the attack himself.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There are rules for cover. If the fighter can't move in time (initiative) no benefit is gained. If the fighter can, then they can be. I don't see it needing to be complicated, really. You could also allow a Dexterity save to allow the fighter to time the "soak" but would have to forfeit any defense to do so... ie, it would be an automatic hit against him, since the point here is to take the shot, not to avoid it.

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

How far ahead of time do you see these archers? It sounds like you've got slightly more time than Clint Eastwood originally did.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

And Eastwood rolled a lot of natural 20s.

jman5000
Ulthal

Post by jman5000 »

I'm thinking a pretty standard combat - fighting swirling all around, the mage hanging back preparing a spell, maybe one other martial companion tasked with protecting him... normally, he can step in and deal with the hand-to-hand stuff, but he has to stick near the mage, and some distance away, a group of whatnots are aiming their bows at the mage, and his companion doesn't have the time or attacks to run up and deal with them individually, so instead, he wants to save his 'attacks' to protect the mage from all those arrows about to let loose....

Cheers,

J.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Well, depending on a few factors, i.e. initiative, number of combatants and positions etc., I would allow the fighter to protect/block the mage. Heh, hopefully he has a large shield. Shield bonus to mage's AC. Or if the fighter to totally in front of the mage, perhaps cover modifiers would then apply.

There also might be some situational modifiers that could apply to the battle. If the archers are solely concentrating on the mage, and not paying attention to other enemies, they are open to attack and thus 1 or 2 points could be deducted from their ACs should others attack them.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth