View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Creatures with Poison Ability 
Mist Elf

Post Creatures with Poison Ability
I am working on a conversion of a Thri-Kreen. I am trying to decide how their poison bite attack should work.

Normally you would add thier HD as a challenge level, however I do think that say a 10th level Thri-Kreen should have a poisonous bite at +10 and one with 5th levels +5.

I haven't read all of the monsters in monsters and treasures, so don't know if there are monsters that have a set challenge difficulty for natural attacks.

I am thinking of making it a straight poison save with no modifiers, or one that is as a constant cl no matter how many hd/character levels the creature has.

Thoughts?

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:02 am
Clang lives!

This is poison is handles for thri-kreen from a DS conversion that I got from Jackal:

Venom: A thri-kreen of sufficient maturity (5th-level or higher) can generate enough venomous saliva over the course of a day to make a single envenomed bite. Such a bite poison victims as well as causing damage, paralysing small creatures for 2d10 rounds, medium creatures for 2d8 rounds, and large creatures for 1d8 rounds, and creatures huge or bigger for only 1 round. A Con check can be made to resist the poison.

I don't know if that helps you at all, but there you go.

R-

My Game Threads

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:49 am
Mist Elf

That sounds great. Basically HD would be the Challlenge Class of the Poison, but can only make 1 poison bite attack per day.

Thanks

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:12 am
Mogrl

You can do what you want with the monster saves. You can say: "Poison: The bite of a thri-kreen is poisonous, but because it is constant, the delibitating effect is reduced. Therefore, the difficulty to resist such an attack is considered X, instead of its normal HD." There is no "right" way to do it. The default is that such things are directly based on HD, but specific abilities from specific creatures can change it. That's what being a CK is about... melding the game and its encounters to suit your preference.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:51 am
Mist Elf

Quote:
You can do what you want with the monster saves. You can say: "Poison: The bite of a thri-kreen is poisonous, but because it is constant, the delibitating effect is reduced. Therefore, the difficulty to resist such an attack is considered X, instead of its normal HD." There is no "right" way to do it. The default is that such things are directly based on HD, but specific abilities from specific creatures can change it. That's what being a CK is about... melding the game and its encounters to suit your preference.

That's one of the reasons I really like about Castles and Crusades, you can totally customize it, unlike d20. I plan on doing a lot of conversions, and would like to hear what other people think about them.

BTW where can I get the dark sun conversion document for C&C, I would really like that.

Dark Sun and Ravenloft are 2 settings that I plan on running campaigns in, along with the DCC world and the A series of modules.

Thanks

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:07 am
Unkbartig

serleran wrote:
There is no "right" way to do it. The default is that such things are directly based on HD, but specific abilities from specific creatures can change it. That's what being a CK is about... melding the game and its encounters to suit your preference.

My worry about a game mechanic for a critter isn't how "right" or "wrong" but how it's effectiveness impacts it's XP value for Type I,II or III.

Come to think of it, it would be great if the M&T monsters had their speciall abilities listed with Type. It would have made reverse engieering for new critters (or switching special abilites while maintaining accurate XP awards) easier.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:47 pm
Clang lives!

Yip, send Jackal a PM and see if he will send you a copy. As far as I know, Jackal had everything done, except for psionics. But ConnelMac might have some pointers for you.

R-

My Game Threads

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]