View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Here's a multi-session adventure idea... 
Red Cap

Post Here's a multi-session adventure idea...
Employee of a Vampire
Setup: The PCs are hired by a Count to investigate the rash of murders that have been plaguing his people. The dead are found drained of blood and sometimes mutilated, but mostly just drained of blood.
The Villain: An evil vampire that is trying to take over the area.
The Twist: The Count is a Vampire as well. Although, he is not an "evil" Vampire, but is instead Lawful-Neutral. He will not show up as "evil" in a Detect Evil spell, because he is simply not evil. He was cursed to live his days between life and death, feeding off the blood of the living, while maintaining his love and sense of duty to protect his people.
How to run it: A mix of Bram Stoker's Dracula and Murder She Wrote. The party should at some point catch the Count drinking from one of his many subjects. Before the party can attack, the Count should reveal how sorry he was that they should see that and how it pains him that he must live in that wretched way. He should be allowed to explain how he never kills his subjects, just drinks enough to survive in his curse.

Once he is finished, he will tell the tale of how he pined for a companion to be by his side, a friend to live in eternal darkness with. So, he found a willing man, once his loyal captain of the guard, he turned him into a Vampire. Only his captain lost his soul and became a foul creature, mean-spirited and irrational in his thirst. He became evil and now stalks the country side. The Count cannot bring himself to kill his one time friend and that is why he asked the PCs to help him. He will deeply and most humbly apologize for the ruse and beg their forgiveness.

If the party doesn't attack the Count, he will lovingly clean and bandage the neck of his meal for the evening and then send the young man or woman on his/her way, with a bag of medicinal herbs and a few words thanks.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:30 am
Ulthal

Interesting, is this going to be in Ravenloft? I'm not big on running vampire type quests but I would definitely play it.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:39 am
Profile WWW
Renegade Mage

Sounds like it would be really fun... I love plot twists to mess with the minds of my players!

Moriarty the Red

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 am
Red Cap

Combat_Kyle wrote:
Interesting, is this going to be in Ravenloft? I'm not big on running vampire type quests but I would definitely play it.

This could be rain in Ravenloft, but I was thinking of running this in my gameworld. If the player's ever become well known enough and or travel through a certain area.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:32 am
Lore Drake

First of all, being hired by "the count" is a dead give-away. Call him the Earl or Duke or Baron or something similar. Even so, it's been done before. A suggestion...in time, all evidence points to the count, though the vampire is really his servant (who'd guess a vampire would serve anyone just to throw off the trail) who's been framing the count and using charm control to give him bad dreams about being a vampire so he believes he's the one to blame.

In short, complicate the plot. Better to confuse the players.
Brian Miller

"CK=Character Killer."

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:04 am
Red Cap

miller6 wrote:
First of all, being hired by "the count" is a dead give-away. Call him the Earl or Duke or Baron or something similar. Even so, it's been done before. A suggestion...in time, all evidence points to the count, though the vampire is really his servant (who'd guess a vampire would serve anyone just to throw off the trail) who's been framing the count and using charm control to give him bad dreams about being a vampire so he believes he's the one to blame.

In short, complicate the plot. Better to confuse the players.
Brian Miller

"CK=Character Killer."

If that works for you. I want to run something where the "Count" is a monster, but also a sad creature that the party might be able to show empathy for.

As for him being a Count, there is an Empire in my gameworld that is filled with more noble houses then one can shake a stick at. It is a throwback from when the Empire controlled much of the surrounding territories, the Emperor used to bestow noble titles upon the citizens of the Empire for most anything they did for the Empire. This has resulted in so many Noble houses that not a single citizen in the Empire can possibly know the names of all the nobility.

So, it shouldn't be a big give away to the players that this "Count" happens to be a Vampire. Even though, I shall attempt to play him slightly as Gary Oldman did in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I am thinking that the party could also attempt to look into lifting the curse on the Count to free him from his affliction.

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]