View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
General question 
Henchman

Post General question
I just ordered the PHB and M&T, but don't have them yet. I was reading The Rising Knight and I noticed one of the NPCs was the Commoner NPC class. I was wondering, are the NPC classes part of the C&C rules? Do I need the D&D books? I hate HATE 3.5 and I got rid of all my stuff a few months back and I don't want to have refer to those rules. Am I screwed? Is this a fluke? Does this happen often?

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:33 pm
Ulthal

Post Re: General question
Quote:
FunkyPhantom wrote:
I just ordered the PHB and M&T, but don't have them yet. I was reading The Rising Knight and I noticed one of the NPCs was the Commoner NPC class. I was wondering, are the NPC classes part of the C&C rules? Do I need the D&D books? I hate HATE 3.5 and I got rid of all my stuff a few months back and I don't want to have refer to those rules. Am I screwed? Is this a fluke? Does this happen often?

Funkster--

Think of a commoner as a guy with 1-6 HP and AC 10 who is likely a farmer, artisan, merchant, or tradesman. Just a simple fellow that has nothing to do with those convoluted commoner rulesd as introduced by 3.5. It's that simple.

--Ghul

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:44 pm
Henchman

Post Re: General question
Quote:
Ghul wrote:
Funkster--

Think of a commoner as a guy with 1-6 HP and AC 10 who is likely a farmer, artisan, merchant, or tradesman. Just a simple fellow that has nothing to do with those convoluted commoner rulesd as introduced by 3.5. It's that simple.

--Ghul

I have no problem making stuff up and if it really came to it, those classes are in the SRD. I'm just wondering if there are a lot of instances like this.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:03 pm
Mogrl

"Commoner" is just a descriptive term, and is not meant to indicate a class, other than a social one. Anyone who is not a noble is a "commoner," meaning, generally, they are poor, uneducated, and grimy, often because they perform some sort of manual labor, but this is not always the case since a merchant can be a commoner just as easily as an aglab. So, yeah, there are probably lots of commoners in the modules, since the vast majority of NPCs would be commoners. They do not need class abilities, nor are they expected to have them.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:15 pm
Henchman

serleran wrote:
"Commoner" is just a descriptive term, and is not meant to indicate a class, other than a social one. Anyone who is not a noble is a "commoner," meaning, generally, they are poor, uneducated, and grimy, often because they perform some sort of manual labor, but this is not always the case since a merchant can be a commoner just as easily as an aglab. So, yeah, there are probably lots of commoners in the modules, since the vast majority of NPCs would be commoners. They do not need class abilities, nor are they expected to have them.

Ok. I assumed it meant the actual NPC class because some of the other characters had classes (I couldn't figure out "level 0d6" meant either). It must have been my rabid anti-D&D mindset. I love what I've seen of the game so far though. I'm not completely negative.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:35 pm
Mogrl

Ahh, ok, I understand the 0d6 reference, as I had not seen it in context. What it is saying, essentially, is the commoner is zero level, but it uses d6 for hit dice, since certain abilities (namely combat dominance, but some others, such as spells or monster abilities that affect a particular "size" of HD) need to know that. The zero means the NPC gets +0 to hit and +0 on all saves. The HP are listed.

Welcome to the Crusade!

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:52 pm
Henchman

I was a little confused and I've become very 'anti-d&d' lately, so I was hoping I didn't make a mistake. I'll have the two main books tomorrow and I'll probably have more questions. I'm looking forward to the crusade. Now I need to convince my friends.
Quote:
serleran wrote:
Ahh, ok, I understand the 0d6 reference, as I had not seen it in context. What it is saying, essentially, is the commoner is zero level, but it uses d6 for hit dice, since certain abilities (namely combat dominance, but some others, such as spells or monster abilities that affect a particular "size" of HD) need to know that. The zero means the NPC gets +0 to hit and +0 on all saves. The HP are listed.

Welcome to the Crusade!

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:31 pm
Lore Drake

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:46 pm
Mogrl

You are going to so love gaming again! Welcome!

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:04 pm
Battle Stag

FunkyPhantom, welcome to a funky kind of Crusade.

......................................Omote

FPQ

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Hlobane Orc

Welcome aboard. Your story sounds like many others, including mine. DnD has become a ponderous beast for many, and it is just much easier to unload the 3.x mentality and get into C&C and play a game the way you want to.

--Clark Ashton Smith

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:57 pm
Henchman

I've been wanting generic fantansy for a while and I really liked old school D&D; I almost bought the Rules Cyclopedia. I decided on this because it's what I want out of D&D without all the overhead. Rules Cyclopedia had too many clunky subsystems and I don't like races as classes Thanks for the welcomes!

Quote:
eibon wrote:
Welcome aboard. Your story sounds like many others, including mine. DnD has become a ponderous beast for many, and it is just much easier to unload the 3.x mentality and get into C&C and play a game the way you want to.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:22 am
Lore Drake

FunkyPhantom wrote:
I've been wanting generic fantansy for a while and I really liked old school D&D; I almost bought the Rules Cyclopedia. I decided on this because it's what I want out of D&D without all the overhead. Rules Cyclopedia had too many clunky subsystems and I don't like races as classes Thanks for the welcomes!

Welcome to the Crusade!

However, I suggest you buy the Rules Cyclopedia (at least the pdf), since it contains lots of useful bits, e.g. rules for traveling, stats for ships, rules for building castles (and destroying them!), a very nice mass combat system and many other things. And all is fully usable with C&C. You cannot go wrong!

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:35 am
Cleric of Zagyg

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]