View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Armor Question 
Renegade Mage

Post Armor Question
Aside from the look (and slight cost difference), is there a 'game mechanics' difference between Ring Mail and Studded Leather?

In the case of the Rogue and Assassin, these both can't be worn (or, more accurately, they can but would impart the same penalties)

They both have the same AC and EV values... both weigh the same but one costs 5 gp more than the other.

If you look at the Ranger, he can wear both without causing a hinderance for his special ability.

Just curious if there was a reason... I can understand getting the 'right' look for a character one is envisioning or locale that may not have cetain styles of armor.

Thanks again!

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:15 am
Battle Stag

When the Trolls were writing the game, I don't think they were going for the ole' "every piece of equipment has to have a different set of stats" thing.

Realistically the armors are probably very close to each other in means of construction, durability, and overall level of safety to the wearer.

.........................................Omote

FPQ

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

I would also add that not all armor pieces must be available (realistically) at the same time, in the same campaign, in the same place.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:21 pm
Ulthal

[quote="rabindranath72"]I would also add that not all armor pieces must be available (realistically) at the same time, in the same campaign, in the same place.[/quote]

I think this is an important point. Depending on the period that you are trying to run your game in, many of these items have either not been invented yet, or have been obsolesced due to better equipment/weapons.

But if you are going for a standard fantasy setting where everything is available, then I think it's reasonable that some items appear to be 'illogical' stat wise.

Cheers,

J.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:29 pm
Ulthal

For me its always about the look about your character rather than stats. I got used to this with 1E and 2E, unfourtunately 3E spolied us to mix/max with every type of armor and equipment.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Renegade Mage

serleran wrote:
Well, there are some difference, namely: I'd rather be wearing studded leather than ring mail if I was struck by a bolt of lightning, or around a creature that could generate magnetic effects.

You know that is a VERY good point. I've been delving deeper with the armor issue and classes and the various restrictions. I am happy and humbled to say that, once again, the system seems very sound.

On a different note regarding helms... it almost seems to me that this concept of individual armor classes protecting the head is a bit underdeveloped. I suppose it's good for things like called shots or those bizzare circumstances in the lives of characters but aside from a few notes on Rogue/Assassin abilities (Listen) being impared by certain helms, I haven't been able to find much more than that.

Is it something I missed (I'm still flipping back and forth all over the place in the book but haven't found anything further).

Thanks again!

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:02 am
Mogrl

I believe you have found the only rules. I would have to read the PH again to be absolutely sure, but those are the only concerns about helms that I remember. Very critical concerns if a head shot is deflected by the AC bonus, etc...

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]