View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Creating a Homunculus & what about Famililars 
Red Cap

Post Creating a Homunculus & what about Famililars
Hey!

I'm currently creating my version of the Artificer class from Eberron, so that it works with C&C. One of the things an Aritifcer can do, is at 4th level he can create a Homunculus. I read the M&T entry but I don't know if any C&C books detail this process in any way.

Also, what about familiars? Is it mentoined anywhere how to go about judicating when and how a wizard gets one? Maybe it's just late and I should go to sleep....

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:02 am
Mogrl

The spell "summon familiar" or somesuch. Its in the PHB.

As for creating a construct, the exact details are not defined, allowing a CK to make it as easy, or as hard, as they want. However, if it were me, no spellcaster below 11th level could make a real, permanent, construct. Otherwise, its just a semi-permanent (read: subject to dispel) creation, much like an undead in some aspects.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:04 am
Hlobane Orc

Come the weekend I might sneak up the homonoculus rules that I use, which are a hybridized version of another game's and a variant of my own design.

--Clark Ashton Smith

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:10 pm
Red Cap

serleran wrote:
...However, if it were me, no spellcaster below 11th level could make a real, permanent, construct. Otherwise, its just a semi-permanent (read: subject to dispel) creation, much like an undead in some aspects.

It depends on your setting. In my case, Eberron has lots of constructs pretty much everywhere, so I've got to allow the Artificer to create them at low levels.

Has it always been a spell that would call a familiar? I've never dealt with familiars before, but I could have swore it was just an ability that a Mage had at a certain level. Ah well... the spell will do! Thanks.

Quote:
eibon wrote:
Come the weekend I might sneak up the homonoculus rules that I use, which are a hybridized version of another game's and a variant of my own design.

That would be cool of you!

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:34 pm
Mogrl

It was always a spell before 3rd edition which made it an inherent class ability, but still, sort of a spell. See, in 3E, you need 100 gp and have to perform a ritual. In pre-3E, you needed, I believe, 1000 gp and cast the spell "find familiar" which did not always work. Then again, in 3E you can make your familiars more powerful, too, and its assumed familiars are available at all levels, whereas in non-d20, any character capable of casting the find familiar spell (rangers, assassins, thieves, and even high-level illusionists) would be foolish to have a familiar until about 4th level (these other chracters would be considerably higher level, by the way) and certainly would not take it on every adventure because of the severe risk in its death.

Anyway, umm, yeah....its always been a spell / ritual.

And, I agree that the number of constructs depends on the setting. However, that does not mean what I said is invalid, even for such a setting. In fact, it makes it even more true, because you can have semi-permanent constructs running all over the place. They would be, effectively, stronger, more capable, "programmable" unseen servants in a way, but with a built-in "I don't need you now -- dispel!"

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]