View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Number of Primes 
Ulthal

Post Number of Primes
This topic was brought up briefly in Treebores thread collecting the good things about C&C (titled; Let's Finish This). Anyway some people mentioned (PeelSeel2 I think) that they give humans 4 primes, demi-humans 3 and human dominant half-elves 3.5. I thought this was interesting. At face value it makes sense, all monsters have at least 3 primes on top of thier other abilities, so why not give all PCs at least 3 primes as well? Also it makes some classes more viable for demi-humans (such as Ranger and Assasin which have class abilities for several different attributes). However I have had little complaint from my players and no shortage of demi-humans in my game, to necessairly call for more primes. However I was thinking this could skew the balance of the game too favorably to the PCs advantage. What are your thoughts, I am especially interested in opinions from the Trolls and other CK's.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Ulthal

That is what I was thinking, I have been running C&C for over a year now with the standard number of primes. I like the gritty feel that this gives. Plus the racial abilities that the demi-humans get more than make up for that 3rd prime.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Ulthal

I give Humans 3 primes. I also give all other characters 3 primes. The humans, and Human Half Elfs advantage is a 10% and 5% experience boost. I like this because it is more balances and inline with monsters primes (usually either phyical str,dex, con or mental int wis cha). This system works good and makes the system less abusive towards demi-human PC's and NPC's, IMO.

-George Washington

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:39 pm
Lore Drake

PeelSeel2 wrote:
I give Humans 3 primes. I also give all other characters 3 primes. The humans, and Human Half Elfs advantage is a 10% and 5% experience boost. I like this because it is more balances and inline with monsters primes (usually either phyical str,dex, con or mental int wis cha). This system works good and makes the system less abusive towards demi-human PC's and NPC's, IMO.

THis sounds like a good idea to me, I do something similar in my own campaigns houserules.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:35 pm
Ungern

PeelSeel2 wrote:

Unfortunately, that's not a really workable system for someone like me, who gives XP individually. That is, if someone has RP'd really well on a given night, even if they didn't slay any monsters or get any treasure, I might given them more XP than someone who happened to roll well that night. In effect, I give my own 10% bonuses...

I find the prime attribute system to be an elegant solution to the "how do we make up for the fact that humans don't get any special abilities" conundrum.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:17 am
Red Cap

I think the way it is written is the way to go, but thought about awarding another prime at 10th level for rogues and assassins and 12th level for all other classes to reflect the training they may have received in using a particular attribute throughout their adventuring career.

This is not an official house rule; it was me throwing round an idea one day.

But if I were to increase primes, that is how I would do it.

Visit magehammer's Keep on the Weblands at http://magehammer.googlepages.com

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:21 am
Profile WWW
Red Cap

I will ponder strong and hearty on this tome of new found lore.

Visit magehammer's Keep on the Weblands at http://magehammer.googlepages.com

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:31 am
Profile WWW
Red Cap

I've been using the additional prime at 10th for a while now, and had no problems. I looked at it as the culmination of 10 levels of training - a character trying to overcome his shortcomings.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:55 pm
Ungern

Why not just give everyone a half-Prime? It does bump the power of the humans a bit, but helps to ease a bit of the demi-human crunch. It's what I was thinking of doing.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:13 pm
Greater Lore Drake

For us teh as written approach has worked. It's cut down the demi-humans from our 3e days when we had entire parties of them which bothered me and has given the game a better feel.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]