View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Charging adjustment 
Ulthal

Post Charging adjustment
I'm playing C&C with a bunch of 3e players who are used to being able to charge if they have 10' of movement. Two characters in my game, the Knight and Barbarian, want to charge into combat all the time, and rightly so. But they both got put off every time they were between 15' and 30' from the monsters and couldn't charge and get an attack. Especially when they were 25' away. As you can guess btw, we still use the map grids because we're all fans of miniatures combat.

I simply implemented a house rule on the spot one game session where a character can charge between half and full movement, but doesn't get the +2 to damage, but DOES get the -4 to AC. The players were happy with that.

I'm curious how other DMs have handled this. And if I may have missed some rule on this.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:20 pm
Ulthal

Well first whn I use minatures, I typically don't worry about counting boxes. My system is verey abstract, I place the mini's at the beginning of combat and the player decides his action, by surveying the battlefield I tell him if he can do it or not. It is a very fast a narrative combat, instead or a numerical precise combat that happens with grids. As far as charging goes if the players have a clear path in front of them (say the height of 1 giant fig) I let them charge.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Ulthal

That makes it simple. But it ignores the rule on charging, which is fine. But when ever I see a rule, I figure there is some reason for it so I'm not quick to ignore a rule 'til I understand it's purpose in the game.

I do find it curious that in C&C, you can move up to half your move and attack, and from full movement to double move, can attack as a charge, but from between half and full movement, can't attack. There is a distinct gap.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:45 pm
Hlobane Orc

I like to understand a rule before I change it also. However, there does seem to be a gap here. How about...

Up to half-move: Normal attack

From half-move to full: Charge (+1 damage, -2 AC)

Full move+: Normal charge (+2 damage, -4 AC)

That works for me.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:30 am
Ulthal

After thinking about it for a while, I came up with the same idea. I've thought of dropping the +1 to damage though. The reason is that I want it to be an option for the players when they find their characters in that void distance, but not something they look to try and set up tactically just to get a bonus to damage. I'm not set in stone on it though.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:42 pm
Hlobane Orc

Ah yes, but I like to think it's a carrot to forget about all those set long spears.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:17 pm
Battle Stag

I'm not really a fan of the 1/2 movie and attack thing, but still use it. I have considered a full move + attack is possible. I don't think that this would interfere with anything in the game.

.......................................Omote

FPQ

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Ulthal

I've heard about long spear abuse. Fortunately I have not encountered it yet.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Red Cap

Dristram wrote:
I've heard about long spear abuse. Fortunately I have not encountered it yet.

Using long spears is not abuse, it is what they were designed for.

If they insist on charging, start putting them up against enemies with long spears that they can set and if they impale themselves...

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]