Challenge Ratings for C&C

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Ariddrake
Skobbit

Challenge Ratings for C&C

Post by Ariddrake »

I know some people don't like Challenge Ratings from DnD 3.0 ( I know they were hit or miss when designing encounters) but they helped me in designing adventures as a starting point. I have posted what I use for C&C on my website as a pdf download. Hope they can help somebody.
http://www.edgewoodgames.com/

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

So your basing it on how much the xp award is per character for a 4 character party?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Ariddrake
Skobbit

Post by Ariddrake »

The XP is the total that is divided by the 4 party members. Example: (3) 3hp kolbolds (total 24xp) would be a good encounter that you could throw at a group of 1st level characters without them having to return to the Inn to rest and recover before crawling back in the dungeon. (1) lion with 16hp (124xp) would be a good encounter for (4) 2nd lvl characters. If you wanted to really challenge them use a creature from the next xp range.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

OK. Sounds good. I'm pretty good at judging good encounters after 20+ years, but my kids and anyone who doesn't feel confident about it will probably find this helpful. You may want to add and example or two for clarification purposes.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Ariddrake
Skobbit

Post by Ariddrake »

The example is a good idea for clarification. I played 1st edition but did not play again until 3.0 now just play C&C and some old TSR games. I hadn't DM in a while and alot has to do with your own experience.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Very true. I have been gaming the whole 20+ years, with a wide variety of people, so I definitley feel like a high level DM.

Ariddrake
Skobbit

Post by Ariddrake »

I'm a closet DM, my wife doesn't know. I'm a 3rd level DM because of my shame and her getting a bad impression of D&D because of Mazes & Monsters (Damn you Tom Hanks).

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Ariddrake wrote:
I'm a closet DM, my wife doesn't know. I'm a 3rd level DM because of my shame and her getting a bad impression of D&D because of Mazes & Monsters (Damn you Tom Hanks).