3.X Spells in C&C

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
tcabril

3.X Spells in C&C

Post by tcabril »

Has anyone done any converting (and I am not convinced that it is necessary to convert) D&D 3.X spells into C&C?

My thought is this - I have tons of 3.X D&D books that I don't think I will use anymore (now that I have fully embraced C&C) - the sheer volume of rules used to make my head ache.

However - in the 3.X books there are tons of spells (especially since a friend of mine gave me the Spell Compendium for Xmas last year) that are fairly decent (some are ridiculous but most are okay) that may not be used.

I figured that a CK could slip interesting spells from 3.X into the game as either scrolls or spells from acient tomes. Since both systems use a 0-9 level spell system for Arcane and Divine casters - one could just swap in a spell of the appropriate level.

Has anyone done this? Are there balance issues? I have been toying with the idea of inserting some 3.X magic items into the game as well.

Just wondering if anyone wanted to share thier thoughts.

Thanks

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

The thing you have to be careful about is the slight difference between Illusionist and Wizard Spells.

You don't want to overpower Wizards at the detriment of Illusionists and vice-versa.

If you can strike a balance between what is available to both types of Arcane Spellcasters, then it could work out quite nicely.

Weezoh
Skobbit

Post by Weezoh »

Also the difference between druid and cleric lists. With bard spells i'd probably give them between druid and illusionsists if you want to use them. paladin to cleric probably and ranger to druid / cleric.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

If I were to add 3E spells, I would do it as you mentioned through the use of scolls or ancient spellbooks found in treasure hoards. That way you have the chance to review each spell before allowing it into your campaign.

scadgrad

Post by scadgrad »

I allow PCs to have signature spells, one at each spell level. Invariably these are taken from either 3.0 or 3.5 and they are usually too powerful for my game, and probably anyone else who is running C&C RAW. A couple of tweaks can bring them back down to earth. The first is to limit castings of sig spells to once per day. The other is to say that signature spells are unique. In other words, if someone else in the group has the spell, no other PC or NPC may use it either in this campaign or in the future.
Lesser Vigor has been ridiculously powerful IMC so I'll use one of the two methods above in future campaigns to reel it back in.

A word of advise though, I'd recommend scrapping any and all Forgotten Realms spells for C&C.

james_austintx

Post by james_austintx »

scadgrad wrote:
I allow PCs to have signature spells, one at each spell level. Invariably these are taken from either 3.0 or 3.5 and they are usually too powerful for my game, and probably anyone else who is running C&C RAW. A couple of tweaks can bring them back down to earth. The first is to limit castings of sig spells to once per day. The other is to say that signature spells are unique. In other words, if someone else in the group has the spell, no other PC or NPC may use it either in this campaign or in the future.
Lesser Vigor has been ridiculously powerful IMC so I'll use one of the two methods above in future campaigns to reel it back in.

A word of advise though, I'd recommend scrapping any and all Forgotten Realms spells for C&C.

Most of the 3e FR spells where errated/tweaked for Spell Compendium, so they are on the level now.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

The only 'additional' spells I allow is from the Spell compendium, and we basically convert those on the fly.

-George Washington

tcabril

Post by tcabril »

Thanks for all your suggestions - It looks like I have some work to do - but it will be fun.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I think most of the 3.5 spells are a bit underpowered, damage level caps and such. The WoTC coast designers had to do this since there is a uniform XP progression for each class. So any spelss that have damage limits in 3.X (say 1d6 every level of caster, up to 10d6) I woul elimunate for thier conversion to C&C.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I kind of went the opposite route. I use 2E spells. But I sure can't disagree about how to use 3E spells. Plus definitely control the introduction of those spells by introducing htem yourself.

Have your players maybe generate a list of most desired 3E spells to help you decide which ones you introduce last. 8)
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

Yeah in some strange sort of turnaround, I've cracked open my 2nd Edition Complete Priest, Wizard spell compendiums as well as the Encyclopedia Magica for items... they seem to fit more into to C&C powerline.

I agree that the trouble that arises with 3E spells is their bonuses need to be toned down for C&C and you need to consider balance for illusionist and wizard spell lists. Illusionists don't only cast illusion spells in C&C, it's more of a thematic approach to the spells they cast. But with a little experience you should be able to balance them to C&C relatively quickly, as long as you reserve the right to 'tweak' a bit after the spell has been introduced into the game to bring it in line with other spells.

Moorcrys