View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
No save against sleep? 
Red Cap

Post No save against sleep?
Is that right? In last weekend's game, I was quite surprised when the players informed me that there was no save agains sleep. Even looking at the open book in front of me, it was still hard to believe. Was that intentional?

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:08 pm
Skobbit

Post Re: No save against sleep?
Quote:
Mike Frank wrote:
Is that right? In last weekend's game, I was quite surprised when the players informed me that there was no save agains sleep. Even looking at the open book in front of me, it was still hard to believe. Was that intentional?

I think that was one of the first 3 houserules I believe we use a cha based save.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:10 pm
Mist Elf

I like it that way, works both ways...good spell to capture low level players for the Slaver series...

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:21 pm
Lore Drake

That was intentional, and not without precedent.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:35 pm
Ulthal

I actually like it just the way it is. Probably because I'm used to the 1st Ed. sleep spell which has no save either.
It's the most powerful spell in a young spellcasters spellbook. And it is a limited resource.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:52 pm
Red Cap

Fiffergrund wrote:
That was intentional, and not without precedent.

Quote:
Quote:
I actually like it just the way it is. Probably because I'm used to the 1st Ed. sleep spell which has no save either. Smile

Good lord. I've really demonstrated my ignorance now haven't I?
Oh well, it's not the first time and certainly won't be the last!

Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:21 pm
Mogrl

Yep. C&C is a lot like older editions in that the DM/CK really needs to be aware of spells and such, or your going to accidentally screw up your campaign. I suggest if you house rule to allow a save you also remove the HD limitations. Never made sense to me to keep HD limits once a save started being allowed. Just limit it to one target, then allow an additional target every 3 or 4 levels.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:11 pm
Red Cap

No, I don't intend to change what's in the book. It's been playtested and I see no reason to tamper with things as they are just yet.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:23 pm
Battle Stag

'Tis a burly spell. But I learned the hard way not to give this spell too often to enemy NPCs vs. PCs. I essentially killed off the whole party at 2nd level... what a whirlwind excercise in CKing ad-lip that adventured turned out to be when the party awoke missing all of there stuff...
..........................................Omote

FPQ

Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Renegade Mage

Correct me if I'm wrong... but if there is no save against Sleep... then why do elves get an inherent +10 bonus vs Sleep or Charm like effects? It is listed under 'Spell Resistance' ability for elves but refer to it as a saving throw.

Should I tweak the ability so that it functions as Spell Resistance (proper) giving them effectively a 50% resistance (A roll above 10 on a d20 means that the spell succeeds). Or should I tweak it to do a standard save that only Elves can attempt (and at +10 even more likely to succeed).

Any thoughts?

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:07 am
Renegade Mage

It's great that these things are coming up *before* they do in a game.

On a completely different topic, I've been checking out the Tattoo Magic file on your site... and I have to say it really is something else! I'm going to be implementing most of it, in my game.

Again... thanks!

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:36 am
Ulthal

The sleep spell was one thing that really jazzed my 3.5E players about C&C. The player who normally played the tank is playing a wizard in my Keep on the Borderlands C&C. If it was not for that sleep spell and some strategy, the party would have been screwed alot.

-George Washington

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:14 am
Unkbartig

I'm sure this is what Serleran meant, but to clarify above the Half Elf gets the save if they take the elven heritage instead of the human. I know, kinda a "Duh, that's obvious Sieg!" but you'd be surprised at some confusion that can result!
For instance, in my Tarot Arcanum article one of the cards can grant the drawer the ability to "regenerate as a troll for X days". Well, the person I was talking to had the character regenerate after damage....INTO a Troll!!!
Funny, but (obviously) not what was meant.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]