Looking for GM screen inserts

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Vroomfogle
Skobbit

Looking for GM screen inserts

Post by Vroomfogle »

I'm looking for some 3rd party downloadable screen inserts that I can edit (i.e. not PDF). I would be all over the official screen, but I use a 3 panel landscape screen and I'm afraid that since I started using a landscape screen there's just no going back.

Can anyone point me to where I might find such ? Thanks in advance !

Orpheus
Ulthal

Re: Looking for GM screen inserts

Post by Orpheus »

Vroomfogle wrote:
I'm looking for some 3rd party downloadable screen inserts that I can edit (i.e. not PDF). I would be all over the official screen, but I use a 3 panel landscape screen and I'm afraid that since I started using a landscape screen there's just no going back.

http://www.cnctraveller.com/cnc/pdf/2nd/ckscreen2.pdf

Traveller's screen is still the best, in my opinon.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Trav's are the best, but they are not updated to 4th printing standards.
~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Its a great screen but not landscape and it is PDF, two things that don't beat the OP's requirements. I wish I could direct you to one that does. I have the savage worlds customizable landscape GMs screen and I wouldnt mind one of these either.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Its a great screen but not landscape and it is PDF, two things that don't beat the OP's requirements. I wish I could direct you to one that does. I have the savage worlds customizable landscape GMs screen and I wouldnt mind one of these either.

That's what I get for just barging in here and posting willy-nilly.
You might want to use his screen as a template and just type up your own if you really need it in landscape.

I've been meaning to pick up the SW screen and grab the insersts for Deadlands and the presumed Space 1889 inserts (when they become available).

Vroomfogle
Skobbit

Post by Vroomfogle »

Thanks everyone.

I've got Travellers screens. If I get the time I'll use that as a template and make a landscape version (I'll post here of course).

I would highly recommend the Savage World customizable screen. While it's pricey @ $30 it is extremely durable and I couldn't find one like it elsewhere and wasn't willing to make one myself. The landscape format makes a big difference at the table.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

You could support Tullis. Build your own screen then tack whatever graffiti you want on the inside wall.

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Vroomfogle wrote:
Thanks everyone.

I've got Travellers screens. If I get the time I'll use that as a template and make a landscape version (I'll post here of course).

I would highly recommend the Savage World customizable screen. While it's pricey @ $30 it is extremely durable and I couldn't find one like it elsewhere and wasn't willing to make one myself. The landscape format makes a big difference at the table.

Before the Trolls released an official screen (I'm still hoping that one day it will be cost effective for them to make them like the hardback style which is all the rage now) I used Traveller's paperclipped to my old 2nd Edition screen, albeit trimmed down a little bit on the edges to fit. Everything that you really need is on Traveller's screen and the layout is nice.

I've heard too many great things about the SW screen and I love how they make screen inserts for most of the SW settings. Of course, I'm just a sucker for screens. I always seem to buy them for whatever system for which I have the core rulebook.

I keep meaning to sit down and make my own 1st Edition screen using the material that some dude put up on Dragonsfoot. Of course, I never run or play any AD&D theses days; either edition.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I was just wondering about this very thing myself. I have both the Savage Worlds screen and the 4 panel portrait style screen too (Ultimate GM Screen I think its called). Both are really cool, but I think I like my SW one a touch better. Less panels, but I like seeing over the screen. (Hey, I'm a little guy!)

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I have one, I can't remember which brand it is, but the panels are laid out in landscape format (three panels). I've been working on inserts for ages, but I've never gotten around to finishing them.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I haven't bothered to purchase a 4th print PHB. That's the only reason I haven't updated the screen to 4th print look and feel.

Landscape? It will NEVER happen.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Traveller wrote:
Landscape? It will NEVER happen.

Never happen as in you won't do them, or never happen as in it's not possible?
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Nothing
Skobbit

Post by Nothing »

I stumbled upon this one a while back, looks like it will work for you.

Google Dungeon-Crawl: Castles & Crusades DM Screen inserts

Sorry it wouldn't let me post a link for some reason.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Never happen as in you won't do them, or never happen as in it's not possible?

Both.
I won't do them because landscape is not an "old school" format, and they didn't work all that well when put into landscape format the one time I did attempt to do it.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Nothing wrote:
I stumbled upon this one a while back, looks like it will work for you.

Google Dungeon-Crawl: Castles & Crusades DM Screen inserts

Sorry it wouldn't let me post a link for some reason.

You can post plain-text links without the coding; that sort of thing is disabled until you've made five actual posts to cut down on potential spambots.

Anyway, the criteria that the documents not be in PDF is not met, according to the OP, but here is the link mentioned anyway.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Nice find on that, Nothing
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Vroomfogle
Skobbit

Post by Vroomfogle »

Thanks nothing - it is landscape which is what I was looking for. I may use these but think I will make my own at some point anyway. It always seems each GM thinks something was left out on other folks screens.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Quote:
Thanks nothing - it is landscape which is what I was looking for. I may use these but think I will make my own at some point anyway. It always seems each GM thinks something was left out on other folks screens.

Vroom, you make a good point...each GM has their own idea of what is or should be an integral part of the screen. I am going to make my own screens. When you make your own, you can throw in your house rules stuff and home brewed charts and whatnot....like critical tables and all that jazz.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

love my landscape screen for Savage Worlds. I'm very anal-retentive about my stuff, and I somehow .anaged to get huge splits in mine. May have been in a warm vehicle and/or had things stacked on it. Definitely need another one.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I really like the Ultimate GM's screen that Fat Dragon did. I hang all my necessary charts on it and it works fine.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Arazmus
Ulthal

Re: Looking for GM screen inserts

Post by Arazmus »

Vroomfogle wrote:

You could get UN-PDF and customize PDFs you like into landscapes.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

tylermo wrote:
love my landscape screen for Savage Worlds. I'm very anal-retentive about my stuff, and I somehow .anaged to get huge splits in mine. May have been in a warm vehicle and/or had things stacked on it. Definitely need another one.

I like mine, too, tyler. Fortunately, I have not split mine, yet.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Lord Dynel wrote:
I like mine, too, tyler. Fortunately, I have not split mine, yet.

Just picked up one of these GM Screens at Origins today. Looks pretty good. Hoping for no splitty action.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Omote wrote:
Just picked up one of these GM Screens at Origins today. Looks pretty good. Hoping for no splitty action.

~O

I think keeping them out of extreme temps might be one way to prevent that. Excessive opening and closing might also stave off any splitting, too.

DaveyB
Red Cap

Post by DaveyB »

Are those screens still going for $30 or so? I would have hoped they'd have become a bit cheaper by now. As an aside, I'm working on my own CK screen in landscape format after being inspired by this thread! It's a learning process between myself and InDesign, so it might take a few weeks for me to get it done in between work and learning the program. I've got most of the basic layout done. I had planned on a 3-panel screen, but that might be cutting things close due to the amount of equipment. I could however, make those seperate and put them on the players' side for their reference....not sure how I want to do that yet. I'll post some pics when I get enough together to post.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

DaveyB wrote:
Are those screens still going for $30 or so?

Yeah. Yeah they are.
~O
VAE VICTUS!

Arazmus
Ulthal

Post by Arazmus »

Omote wrote:
Yeah. Yeah they are.
~O

I think I may have worked out a way to take a few $2 screens from Staples, run them through a thermal press and make the EXACT SAME THING for about $5 if you include labor...$30 my posterior.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Not landscape, but there is "The World's Greatest Screen" link

I saw it in person at a game store and it looked okay. Pretty dang tall, though. It's $30 as well. It is kind of cool that the Combat Pad fits into it.

Me? I'm sticking with my DCC screen. Love that thing.

Baron of the Pitt
Castles & Crusades Society
The Dungeoneering Dad

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I have The World's Greatest Screen (the sparkly gold version!) sitting right next to me. It is $30.00, but is seems durable as hell. The World's Greatest Screen from Hammerdog Games is a quad-screen and folds up much like the C&C screen does.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

Omote wrote:
Quote:
I have The World's Greatest Screen...

That looks really cool. $30 isn't that high considering most screens produced by companies are in the $20 to $30 dollar range anyway and they are only useful for the game the company produces. These type of screens seem like the way to go, you have a screen for all seasons. You run a 2e game on Tuesday night, no problem. C&C Saturday afternoon, your covered. It also looks very durable and I prefer screens that fold that way. Cool, really cool.

Wow. I just realized I used the word screen a bunch of times in that post.

The Dead watch the road that leads to the sea.-The Two Towers
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants