A Meeting of Friends PbP (IC - Game Thread)

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
angelius

A Meeting of Friends PbP (IC - Game Thread)

Post by angelius »

Chapter One: A Meeting of Friends

A few miles east of Haven, the city of spyte, there lays a small village named Drue. For many generations the village of Drue existed peacefully safety tucked away between the Fellwood Forest and the bustling city of Haven. But today things were a littledifferent. You see within the town of Drue, the Inn of the Busty Barmaid has just received some unexpected guests and the townsfolk of Drue are suspicious of all strangers, especially strangers of the ancient races.

You and your comrades sit around a circular oak table in the center of the Busty Barmaids common room. It is late afternoon and the inn is packed with workers and farmers drowning their sorrows after a long days work. It is business as usual in the Inn and you can barely hear yourself think. Nearby the barkeep can barely keep up with the dozens of patrons leaning up against his twenty foot long bar. Many of the villagers are covered in filth and fill the rest of the tables, gawking at the young barmaid that is precariously balancing her orders on both arms. With her large bust, one wonders why she couldnt carry three trays of orders. You catch yourself staring and quickly you return to the task at hand.

Neena an old friend of yours has summoned you to the Busty Barmaid. In her invitation, she mentions that she wanted to form a party with the intention of pursuing justice, adventure and most importantly treasure. But alas she is not here! This begs the question why Neena had sent out invitations to all of you in the first place if she wasnt going to be here. Comparing the letters, you are certain that the letters are indeed legitimate because each letter was sealed in wax with Neenas family heirloom, her signet ring. Being an orphan and the last of her family, no one would have access to the trinket, over her dead body. The thought of her possible death brings chills to your spine. Shes a tough lady and can handle trouble on her own. Still, her absence is most puzzling.

Oblivious to your plight, the rest of the patrons continue with their business. What do you do?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Errol, a gnome thief sit atop a high stool with his comrades deep in thought. Suddenly snapping out of his revelry he picks up his mug and drains the last of his ale.

"By Crom, where is our Neena?", he says to no one in particular. "This is not like her. I hope nothin' has happened to her!"

The gnome pulls out his pipe and fills it with tobacco and drops the pouch on the table indicating all may partake. He lights it and sits back blowing rings in the shape of dragons, occasionally glancing at the door hoping their friend might enter.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

angelius

Post by angelius »

Errol, patrons that pass you by in this crowded inn smile politely at you. But you do get a sense that their smiles are more out of curteousy rather than true hospitality.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

The gnome continues to puff away, caring little about the patrons around him. He's even paid no attention to his favorite serving wench yet, as he is worried about his friend Neena.

eibon

Post by eibon »

Alas, a gnome! How did he come across a letter by Neena? Maybe this little blighter is on the up and up. Maybe...

"Hello there, my new partner. I am Gnybaro, but you may call me Nib. It is from a far away land that I have come, seeking the odd tale or the wild adventure. It seems as if we must find Neena, it is not like her to be late. Let us gather as conspirators to find her whereabouts."

Gnybaro hooks a nearby chairleg with his toe and pulls the seat in close and sits down with the gnome.

--Clark Ashton Smith

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

eibon wrote:
"Hello there, my new partner. I am Gnybaro, but you may call me Nib. It is from a far away land that I have come, seeking the odd tale or the wild adventure. It seems as if we must find Neena, it is not like her to be late. Let us gather as conspirators to find her whereabouts."

Errol turning to the human replies, "Hail and well met. Gnybaro - ah, Nib. Another friend of our Neena is most welcome here. I am pleased to make your acquaintence. Will you join me in a smoke or glass of ale?"

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

"Well Lars, looks like our friend Neena had quite a few more friends of hers she wanted us to meet up with" Cim croaks.

-George Washington

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

"Aye laddie, seems something strange is afoot."

"Perhaps we should see the town constable and ask the locataion of dear Neena."

Turns to others:

"You can join me if ya want, I need to get some answers."

Lars heads to bar to talk to the propetier for directions to the local constable.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

eibon

Post by eibon »

Nib joins the friendly gnome for a tankard of ale while watching the others in the room and worrying about Neena.

--Clark Ashton Smith

angelius

Post by angelius »

Lars, as you begin to lift yourself from the table and head towards the bar, a young unkempt boy bumps into you...

Clutched in his hands is a scroll sealed in wax.

Hey, Im supposed to give you this., he says before he quickly turns to try and make his way back into the crowd.

Inspecting the sealed wax reveals that it is another letter from Neena. Unravelling the scroll reveals a neatly scribed letter reading,
If you are reading this, then Im probably in the biggest minotaur dung of trouble. Im either dead already or Im locked up somewhere. Dont worry about the boy, he means well. I rescued him from some slavers in Haven and returned him home here to live with his uncle. Anyways he was instructed to look out for you. I bet you stand out like a sore thumb here. Right, Im babbling like I always do. Following some tips, Ive infiltrated a band of slavers operating right here in Drue. Tonight, they will take me to their lair in Fellwood. I suspect it is tucked in the tomb of the Fairland family. The people of Drue are a highly superstitious lot. They would never hunt for the slavers there. I fear that my cover is blown, but I have to gather evidence against some of the slavers who hold prominent positions in Drue. If I do not meet with you at the Busty Barmaid, then all is not lost. Find me and these men will be brought to justice for the pain and misery they have inflicted on the good people of Drue. If anything, at the very least, avenge me should you find me dead. I must go they are coming for me.

Love always, Neena.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Looking around the room Cim is extemely suspicious of the people here. Who could be heading the slavers up in Drue? Where is their spy in the community? Are the authorities in the pay?

Cim throws back his hood, takes off his mask, and wipes his mottled forehead with a kerchief. With his ugliest poker face Cim guttles "I think Lars, we should retire to our room. Mayhaps your new friends would like to join you?"

Cim sweeps his learing visage across the room looking into the eyes of various patrons savoring their disgust and noting those who do not turn away at such ugliness.

-George Washington

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

SLAVERS! What an abomination of natural law. These defliers of life shall feel the vengence of Tyr. Must gather myself and organize the others.

Lars places the new note from Neena on the table. Whispering to the others (the best a dwarf can) as not to alert the townsfolk.

"Friends the situation is clear, we must go to this tomb of the Fairland Family. Make your selves ready. And let no others but us know of these plans but we cannae upset the populace."

angelius

Post by angelius »

[Cim makes a spot check]

The day is slowly turning to night and the Busty Barmaid's patrons slowly retire one by one into the night. Singing can be heard outside the tavern, while the dozen or so remaining patrons are either too drunk or tired to go home.

Cim, as you scan the tavern you notice the barkeep talking in close whispers with another man dressed in common garb. The barkeep appears to be intimidated by the strange man. After what appears to be harsh words by the stranger to the barkeep. the barkeep gingerly points in the direction of the party.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
"Friends the situation is clear, we must go to this tomb of the Fairland Family. Make your selves ready. And let no others but us know of these plans but we cannae upset the populace."

Errol reads the note and nods his head and replies, "Yes Lars, I am ready to go the tomb!"

The gnome rogue then turns quickly to watch the barkeep and stranger talking. With his enhanced hearing, Errol attemps to listen to the conversation . . .

angelius

Post by angelius »

Errol, with the departure of so many of the patrons the tavern has become a little more quiet, even so a nearby table's rowdy patrons distract you just enough so that you catch only the words,

"Where...new strangers? Not worth protecting...your life.", says the stranger.

With that the barkeep gingerly points at the party. And he quickly returns to wiping his bar while keep his eyes low.

eibon

Post by eibon »

Nib hastily drains his tankard.

"We must be off to the tomb as soon as possible. I cannot imagine Neena in the hands of slavers. What do you hear, friend, Errol?"

--Clark Ashton Smith

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

eibon wrote:
"We must be off to the tomb as soon as possible. I cannot imagine Neena in the hands of slavers. What do you hear, friend, Errol?"

Turning back to the group, the rogue replies, "I've only caught a few words, but it appears that the stranger is interested in us!". Errol finishes his ale as well and reaches his hand down and rests it on the hilt of his broadsword.

eibon

Post by eibon »

Nib unclasps the buckle of the scabbard for his short sword and also makes sure his daggers are easy to grab on short notice.

--Clark Ashton Smith

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Whispering hoarsly to the group Cim says "I think we get this guy. Question him intently. If he doesn't want to talk, tell him we will make him uglier than me. Then we find this place and get her."

-George Washington

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

PeelSeel2 wrote:
Whispering hoarsly to the group Cim says "I think we get this guy. Question him intently. If he doesn't want to talk, tell him we will make him uglier than me. Then we find this place and get her."

"Yeah, I like your way of thinking Cim", whispers Errol. "The barkeep provides a good service here, and I don't like troublemakers!" The gnome rogue winks and smirks at his fellow adventurers around the table.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

"I will pay for this round friends!" Cim crackles loud enough to be overheard. He then gets up and makes his way toward the bar right next to the over curious common man, sidling close enough to make anyone uncomfortable. "Bar Tender, a round for my friends. And a round for the house!!" As he says the last part, he puts a friendly arm around the sidled man.

-George Washington

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Whispering to his commrades Lars gives a warning note:

"Now gents, lets avoid violence in such a public place. Tyr's justice can be spread behind the woodshed just as well as it can be here."

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
Whispering to his commrades Lars gives a warning note:

"Now gents, lets avoid violence in such a public place. Tyr's justice can be spread behind the woodshed just as well as it can be here."

"Come on Lars, he's just a common thug, threatening the peace of this inn. Let's get 'em I say!" replies the gnome thief.

With that, Errol jumps down off the stool and quickly goes to support Cim.

angelius

Post by angelius »

As Cim and Errol approach the bar, the barkeep's experience with matters such as this beckons him to retreat into the kitchen. But he cannot refuse Errol's offer as what remains of the concious patrons in the Busty Barmaid holler in praise!

"Yar! Now dat's sum things I likes to 'ear!", praises one toothless patron.

The barkeep quickly begins to pour ale into a row of mugs as the majority of patrons clamour towards the bar.

The stranger seems taken aback by the presence of Cim and Errol. As Cim puts his arm around the stranger, the stranger pulls him close so that Cim can smell the stranger's tobacco breath.

"I know not what you hide beneath that mask, nor what friends you appear to have. A word to the wise. Let things be around here, if you know what is good for you."

With that he bumps into Errol as he tries to shrug Cim off and straigthen his clothes.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Lars prepares for the worst waiting for his companions to act. He will support them, but protect the patrons as well.
Ack this is going to get ugly me thinks.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

{Cim tries to forcibly turn the wretch around to face Errol. He wants to do this in such a way that it can only be perceived by the wretch, hoping to elicit the wretch turning around and pushing him down in front of the bar. If he gets the reaction, he falls dramatically and with more noise and action than is really necessary, mostly so everyone knows that the ugly man who just bought the bar a round got pushed down for no good reason! Hopefully this gives Errol a window to 'help' his friend where the other patrons will not take offense to this defence of the round buyer!! If it workd, maybe it gives Errol a surprise round?}

"Come with me, friend. We need to talk to you out back." Cim whispers croakingly to the wretch.

{If he offers no resistance and will go out back with us, so be it.}

-George Washington

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

If Cim is successful, Errol will have a large wicked dagger at the man's jewels and will say, "Watch it stranger and have a look at yer privates, you might see not 'em again!"

angelius

Post by angelius »

Cim takes the stranger by suprise! In a whirlwind of action, Cim grabs the stranger's wrist and quickly puts him in an arm hold turning him to face the gnarly Errol whose dagger threatens the future offspring of the stranger!

"Argh", whines the stranger as he is turned. His face betrays his emotions has his suprise turns to fear in the face of the tag team.

"What good is this? You aren't going to get nothin' from me.", hisses the stranger.

Errol makes a quick sweep of the tavern, noting the no one has noticed the cleverly concealed dagger, Errol may interrogate the stranger some more.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

"Are ya sure, you have nothing to tell us?", and the gnome, with a maniacal smile on his face shoves the dagger in a bit to show they mean business.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Whispering hoarsly in the mans ear Cim says "My guess, friend, is you have something to say. And I am more than willing to slowly tear out your toenails and finger nails until you tell us something we want to hear."

-George Washington