Where to start with Wilderlands?

Where players gather to discuss the setting and game!
Dutchwanna

Where to start with Wilderlands?

Post by Dutchwanna »

Gday,

Im looking for a home for my upcoming C&C game and am very interested in Wilderlands. Im at bit of a loss were to begin, what products are recommended for getting started? The Necromancer set is proving hard to find, not to mention insanely expensive (check amazon) and most of the Judges Guild sites look like they havent been updated for years.

Ive had a look at the AGP site and see there is a heap of stuff converted for C&C, though Im having difficulty figuring out what are the core products for the setting. I also saw Bat in the Attic Games is selling a product called the Majestic Wilderlands.

So what products would you recommend for a CK with no prior experience of the setting?

Thanks in advance and my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Man, thats a tough one, because youll want the boxed set but its crazy expensive. Is there a PDF available out there? For C&C, James Mishler did some excellent wilderlands releases. Ive actually used some of his stuff in my Known Realms campaign. Goodman Games Known Realms is somewhat similar to Wilderlands but the price tag is more acceptable.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

The boxed set (Wilderlands of High Fantasy) is definitely the way to go. It is fantastic. You can get a pdf at RPGNow. If you are interested in the Wilderlands, get it.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The Wilderlands of High Fantasy Box set is still the standard for all things Wilderlands.

If you were to start out with James Mishler's Wilderlands of High Adventure, make sure you start out with the Guide to the World of the Wilderlands. This is a small product and only contains the most basic information about the Wilderlands of High Adventure setting. It has info on the Planes of Existance, the Netherworld and a general overview of the Wilderlands. From there, get yourself a copy of AGP's Continent of Rhadamanthia map to go along with the Guide. From there you can make the world your own and branch out for more details as you learn of them and look for more products that fit your interests in the Wilderlands.

It's worth noting that the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, Wilderlands of High Adventure and the Majestic Wilderlands are all based on the same concepts, but are slightly different from each other. Each author put their own spin on the material originally presented by Judges Guild.
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

robertsconley

Post by robertsconley »

The PDF for the Box Set is available here.
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... rers_id=31

My own Majestic Wilderlands is a different setting based on similar geography. If you want to use the Wilderlands of High Fantasy you are better off waiting for me to put out some locales. James Mishler already has some locales of his own out like the City of Tell Qa in Viridistan.

I will say that my print product is only $12 and that my PDF is $7 and several people using the WoHF found inspiration in both the rules section and the setting guide that was included.
http://www.batintheattic.com has all the links.

danbuter
Hlobane Orc

Post by danbuter »

The box set is amazing. The Players Guide is nice, and usually cheap, but has nowhere near the same amount of info.

Majestic Wilderlands is a cool product, but also extremely light on setting info.

Dan
http://home.comcast.net/~danbuter/candc.html - my Castles and Crusades webpage

Dutchwanna

Post by Dutchwanna »

Thanks for all the info, I'll get me some PDF's.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

danbuter wrote:
The box set is amazing. The Players Guide is nice, and usually cheap, but has nowhere near the same amount of info.

Wow. I've never seen the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands go for "cheap." Wish I did though.
~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

Everyone's been pretty much right-on with the evaluation that the Necromancer Games boxed set is the way to go. Though as you've noted, it can be mucho expensive, it is complete... and putting together all the info from the old Judges Guild books can be even more expensive!

As Breakdaddy said, for adding the Wilderlands of High Adventure flavor to the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, the World of the Wilderlands booklet or PDF is the way to go. I should note that the Rhadamanthia map is something like 95% compatible between the classic Wilderlands of High Fantasy and the Wilderlands of High Adventure; it is all based on material from Bob Bledsaw's description.

Robert Conley's Majestic Wilderlands is quite good, too, with an even different flavor... and he offers it at a frightfully low, low price, so that might be a way to go, too, if only to add on some of his interesting interpretations.

But as Bob Bledsaw insisted from day one, the Wilderlands is yours to do with as you please... let no one tell you, as the Judge, what to do with your campaign world!

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
[email protected]
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

yell0w_lantern
Hlobane Orc

Post by yell0w_lantern »

I've been looking for something with a flavor more akin to "The Hobbit" rather than "The Lord of the Rings" - more folklorist and whimsical than epic. Can the Wilderlands handle that?

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Personally I don't see why not.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com