Orcus Unbound

Within are to be writ the tales of daring and adventure of those who have placed themselves on the path of glory. Share your exploits with other Castlers & Crusaders!
Omote
Battle Stag

Orcus Unbound

Post by Omote »

One of my buddies (commanderFuron on these boards) just started running a small series of adventures tonight he wrote called Orcus Unbound. I'd let him post the adventure recap, but he does't post on message boards that much. Anyways, this is epic stuff.

The players are all playing characters of 24th level. We are the paragons of our classes and races, and world renown heroes. In a previous campaign (Rappan Athuk Reloaded) the players sealed the great fiend Orcus away from the world for 666 years. In commanderFuron's new adventure, Orcus is attempting to come back into the world by corrupting an angel and using the angel's offspring as a vessal to materialize. It's crazy stuff, that requires hidden cabal's of Orcus devotees, the desecration of a great temple to the god of music (Oghma) and much death and destruction to the helpless people of the region (near Bard's Gate).

So in this session (which I arrived late too... damn job!), we vanquished some Orcus cultists, and faced the dreaded mogrl (see Monsters & Treasures of Aihrde for details of this demon bad-ass)!

Though the there were no 24th level character deaths to the mogrl, he whooped our butts. I'm playing a 24th level bard, The mogrl stuns me (I can't do anything) and uses his demonic howl to hit me for like 26 points of damage which disjuncts 6 of my magical items! Son-of-a...!

The best thing about this fight, I think it only took about 45 minutes of game time. If this were a certain other game with five 24th level PCs Orcus cultists and a mogrl, this fight would have lasted 4 hours!

Great adventure. Thanks commanderFuron (not that you'll read this ;) ). Great game (C&C).

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Orcus Unbound

Post by Rigon »

Sounds like a wicked good time. were you using the expanded class abilities? How do they play?

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Sure. We are indeed using all of the expanded class abilities as set forth in the CKG. As compared to base, Players Handbook C&C there is a lot to keep track of. Lots of modifiers are being thrown around, and some very powerful class abilites that have a dramatic effect on the game. But, it's still a much more wonderful experience than other systems have for playing such epic characters.

The gameplay itself is very wicked. The CK has decided that with such high-level PCs, and doing world-shaking events that evolve the heavens and hells themselves, the setting has to be dramatic as can be. This adventure has reminded me kind of like a Diablo-type game; masses of enemies and terrible hell-bent creatures of slaughter.

It's a hell of a game.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Coolness.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Omote wrote:The best thing about this fight, I think it only took about 45 minutes of game time. If this were a certain other game with five 24th level PCs Orcus cultists and a mogrl, this fight would have lasted 4 hours!
~O

Color me jealous, my friend.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Haaaay, Frosty! Coming from you, that is too much of a compliment.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

I'm impressed that you guys are playing 24th level characters!!! :shock:

But I'm not surprised at the ease with which C&C handles the combat! C&C is great for those sorts of things.
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The gentleman that is running the Orcus Unbound adventure is a big fan of high level play, and get's discouraged that there are not more epic modules. In fact, he is playtesting this for a run at GenCon.

I think we are going to continue the adventure in the next few weekends. I'll be sure to post more at that time.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

commanderFuron
Ungern

Post by commanderFuron »

I would like to get 2 more goes at it before the GenCon. The first session went well, I think, and I am working on incorporating feedback from the session into the module.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

W00t! Thumbs up, chums! I wouldn't mind getting in on this at the GC.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan