Myth & Magic RPG

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Piperdog
Unkbartig

Myth & Magic RPG

Post by Piperdog »

So I meandered over to New Haven Games to take a look at their 2e inspired game. Supposedly it started as the proverbial retroclone, but has since taken the C&C road in that it now sports a fairly cool overhaul. 2e drove me kind of crazy with it's clunky nature, including thaco and so on, so I wasn't expecting to be very impressed with what I saw....but dang it son, this is a good product! They now have ascending AC and base to hit similar to C&C, and have a cool new streamlined skill system that makes proficiencies so much easier and intuitive. They have what they call the BASE20 system, and is worth a look.

To get a copy of the playtest Revised Starter Kit, you have to be a forum member, so it's worth signing up for the download. Apparently a newer version is going up on the 17th, as well as a playtest version of the gamemaster guide.

I haven't read the forums in depth yet, but apparently there is a debate over there of whether or not it is a true retroclone, with some people miffed that it is not a true replication of 2e............sounds familiar eh? For me, I am definitely not interested in a true 2e product , but Myth and Magic only is a head nod toward 2e at this point and has become a game all it's own, which actuall IS of interest to me. I will definitely keep my eye on the development of this game.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Myth & Magic RPG

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I got the starter kit back in September but haven't really looked at it. I am pretty sure I got it without signing up on a message board for it, so must have been available for some other reason via some other means back then.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Whats up Tree? Its been a while man. Anyway, the version they put out in September was still pretty faithful to 2e, but the one that was put out in December is the one with crazy changes that veer away from 2e. The Sept. one didn't require being a forum member but the Dec. one does. Of course, now they are putting up the newest incarnation on the 17th with more revisions as well as an additional book (dmg). Looks promising. It is very C&C-ish at this point.

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

This looks interesting. Definitely worth a read. Thanks for the link.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I might have to get that. I started w/ 2e so it's dear to me.
IMO (and thread drift) THAC0 was clearer than the huge tables in Oe, but the BtH progression and ascending AC in 3rd/C&C is best.
I'd never play 2e again, prolly just stick with C&C which got me back in the hobby after realizing that after 9-10 years away, all the optional rules I used for 2e made it like an encyclopedia. (we slowly added the complete series and loved the character creation in Player's option (which I still feel is a de facto 3rd ed... I guess in the modern parlance it was edition 2.5, or the Gurps version of 2e).

It's all good.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

GoOrange
Mist Elf

Post by GoOrange »

This game looks amazing. It ended up being very much like C&C in it's approach - not a retro clone at all, but a redesign of 2e.

I love a lot of the changes they made and can't wait for the final version.

I have a feeling this is going to be right up there with C&C as one of my all-time favorites.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Final Beta PHB was just put up for download and it looks great. It is really looking more and more like a C&C/2e/3e hybrid, which is cool. Having the Reflex, Fortitude, and Will saves is a nice addition. I was hoping that the BASE20 system, and attribute modifiers for such checks would be used for saves also, making it more streamlined. I am just spoiled by the Seige mechanic I guess!

Still, this game has a lot of potential. There are scattered combat proficiencies that are reworked feats from 3e, but in a rules light way. It is going to be very easy to houserule and build on, much like C&C.

I don't know when I'll actually ever play it, because I have a feeling I will be creating a lot of variant C&C systems using the CKG, but it will definitely be something going on my shelf.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Piperdog wrote:Final Beta PHB was just put up for download and it looks great. It is really looking more and more like a C&C/2e/3e hybrid, which is cool. Having the Reflex, Fortitude, and Will saves is a nice addition. I was hoping that the BASE20 system, and attribute modifiers for such checks would be used for saves also, making it more streamlined. I am just spoiled by the Seige mechanic I guess!

Still, this game has a lot of potential. There are scattered combat proficiencies that are reworked feats from 3e, but in a rules light way. It is going to be very easy to houserule and build on, much like C&C.

I don't know when I'll actually ever play it, because I have a feeling I will be creating a lot of variant C&C systems using the CKG, but it will definitely be something going on my shelf.
I just downloaded this myself, PD. I'll look at it but I don't know that I will play it either, for the same reason. Thanks for posting about it here, though. There might be some things in the M&M line that I might just want to use in C&C some day.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

GoOrange
Mist Elf

Post by GoOrange »

I just checked out the latest edition and suddenly I'm less enthused. It seems there's a bit more complexity than originally, which is a bit of a detractor for me. Too many feats and skills etc. Still, I like games with an older edition feel and certain new edition mechanics, so I'll definitely be picking this up when it comes out, if only to steal ideas to throw into my C&C game.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Yeah, I hear you. I was pretty excited about it, because I saw the BASE20 system as very similar to the Siege Mechanic, with just a hair more granularity with the introduced skill proficiency slots.

With this latest playtest version, they made it a bit clunkier in my opinion. I posited the notion of BASE20 for Saves on the forum over there, and found that my explanation of how it could work resembled......wait for it....the Siege Mechanic. lol. But serioiusly, it would be very similar (add level to checks) but still be proficiency based. There is still room for them to change it, since it is still in playtest.

I will still pick up the final version, I'm sure. Like GoOrange said, I could port some concepts into my C&C game if anything else.

papercut
Red Cap

Post by papercut »

I have been following the development of M&M myself, in fact, some of the ideas they implemented were initially suggested by ahem, myself. I too have some small reservations about the proficiency system at the moment, but we should give them the benefit of the doubt and of course they welcome criticism and ideas. I believe there will be another round of beta before things are firmly set.

ADD3 hits the sweet spot for me right now, but M&M could replace it when it is finalized. C&C makes some great support material for me too :p.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Nice layout and art is good. Cool looking game but I could just strap a skill system on C&C to replace SIEGE and get the same net effect without having to buy in to a new game or print up a 149 page freebie document. I realize their are other differences, but not enough to want to switch systems. I don't want to marginalize the hard work they put in; it looks professional and very interesting, I just have something that already scratches this itch in C&C.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Oh, this is a simulaclone. I thought you were talking about the old Yaquinto game of the (almost) same name. *

Have not looked at the version. Does it add much in the way of new?

[Edit]

* I forgot the name of the game was actually Man, Myth, and Magic. My mistake.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Having only skimmed it, I'd say no. Revamped proficiencies in a smart way is the only WOW thing. some tweaks to classes. if there was no C&C I might be interested, but don't see the point since C&C redid 3e for old school feel better than this M&M does it IMO.
It is well done, though, and worth a read. I have to empty my cup and read it again to give it a fair shake, honestly.
Bill D.

papercut
Red Cap

Post by papercut »

M&M has implemented a unifying mechanic called Base20, which seems not that far off from the Siege Engine, but based on increments of 5. It may be have some differences though. Some of the revisions they have made since the last document seem to be pretty cool, but I can't keep up with them actually.

Color me interested in the next revision, but getting a bit concerned. The producers are not proactive enough in promoting the system, and their alpha ideas are somewhat lackluster. After it gets polished by their board members, the new ideas seem more reasonable.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Yeah the base20 thing is as far I know (not being very 3e savvy) a simplified d20 thing.
diffuculties are
Basic 5
Average 10
Superior (or something) 15
Extraordinary 20
Near impossible 25
(BASEN20 doesn't have the same nice, ring to it :) )
No primes, obviously, but basically 3rd ed but all TNs are 5, 10, 15, 20
so that's smooth and simple, I suppose.
Bill D.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I'm looking forward to the release of the print version of the starter guide. I really liked 2E when we played it, and this seems to "update" a lot of the mechanics. For me it looks like a mix of 2E and C&C.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I'd say that's a fair comment, from what I've seen
Bill D.