The One Ring RPG: New LOTR RPG

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Shenron
Hlobane Orc

The One Ring RPG: New LOTR RPG

Post by Shenron »

This sounds promising. I am kind of exciting for this, I have always enjoyed the low Gothic fantasy of the setting.
http://www.cubicle-7.com/News/TORannounce.htm

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Looking forward to it myself. I think the game has to carry it's own, unique feel to not be compared to every other fantasy RPG. Also, it needs to me a more simple game IMO. C7 does some good work. Here's hoping.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

I agree with you there. I think setting as the power to carry itself and not be compared to other fantasy games. I hope they make the system simple as well.

Personally I would like to see something akin to the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Second Edition.

I have a soft spot for post apocalyptic settings and low Gothic fantasy where you have to slay 13 virgins to cast a fireball.

I contacted the company to see if they would let more information slip and the would not, but I got the e-mail of the guy who is running the play-testing so I am hoping I can get my claws into that.

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Dammit, Shen, don't take my glory...I brought this up already!
http://www.freeyabb.com/trolllordgames/ ... llordgames

Just kidding!
Yeah, it does sound pretty interesting!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

Haha, I am sorry man. I did not see that. I just discovered it myself and I was having a nerdgasm over it.

By all means, it is yours all glory that goes with it.

I bow it your service.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I think it would be interesting to see if it can do anything other than Tolkien.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

serleran wrote:
I think it would be interesting to see if it can do anything other than Tolkien.

Since it's based on Tolkien, why would it want to do anything else? -OR- do you mean elaborate on the Middle-Earth setting while still keeping the Tolkien flavor (ala CODA)?

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Yes i don't get it either...there is nothing other than Tolkien...NOTHING!

I have spent the last 30 years reading Tolkien knock offs to the point i don't even bother to read fantasy any more.

As for being compared to others...I have never seen an rpg released after the 70's that wasn't.

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Emulating the world of Middle Earth is one thing, but being able to play with the same rules in another setting is something else. MERP, for example, was easily capable of playing dark fantasy... so, I hope this game will not be shoehorned into one and only one thing. If it is, then I don't need or want it.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Eh, I see. For the likes of this game I want Tolkien's Middle-Earth. I could even go so far as to extrapolate a little bit to make a game that is not just for warriors, rangers and rogues. If I wanted to play dark fantasy I'd play WFRP or the like. I think, in this instance, the game system has a lot to do with the setting. Sure, it doesn;t have to, but for Tolkien, I think it does.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

That is part of the question -- Warhammer could not play dark fantasy in Middle Earth.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Exactly. Just like 3E wouldn't feel right for Middle-Earth IMO. In this instance, the system and the setting are (or could be) intrinsic to one another. Assuming that this new game does that with the setting (as all indications seem to lead to with Cubicle-7's statement and author), why would you even ask if this RPG could do anything else? Because it doesn't seem like it is going to.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There is more to Middle Earth than the quest to destroy the One Ring... what if I want to run a game set in The First Age when the Rings of Power are made the Ringwraiths first become a force unto themselves. What if I want to run a game where the Elves have already left?

If the setting is that specific... OK. Boring. But, if it "general Middle Earth" then it better be more robust and that would be interesting.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Shenron wrote:
Haha, I am sorry man. I did not see that. I just discovered it myself and I was having a nerdgasm over it.

By all means, it is yours all glory that goes with it.

I bow it your service.

No, no. You may share the nerdy glory!

I'm interested in it, too. I was underwhelmed with the Decipher version and was too into D&D to play the ICE version (and don't want to spend a fortune now to collect it). So I am interested in seeing what will happen here with this.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

Ya I would like to see a generic Middle Earth setting covering all ages. That would be great.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Shenron wrote:
Ya I would like to see a generic Middle Earth setting covering all ages. That would be great.

Agreed. The few (two?) rpgs were almost toally focused (or leaned heavily towards) the Hobbit/Fellowship era. Seeing something that could play across ages would be nice.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I can't see a game called The One Ring RPG having to do with any other era than the one that was written about the most. Also, as a publisher you have to consider the lifespan of the line. Hell yeah, I want to see stuff about the other eras of Middle-Earth, but most likely any real detail of those time periods will be left to supplement for TOR.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

And, that would be fine... provided it does not have to change the rules for the game to do it. That is my question.

Shenron
Hlobane Orc

Post by Shenron »

Titles are not everything, but you do have a point.

I hope we at least get a good supplement of the other ages of middle earth.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Omote wrote:
I can't see a game called The One Ring RPG having to do with any other era than the one that was written about the most. Also, as a publisher you have to consider the lifespan of the line. Hell yeah, I want to see stuff about the other eras of Middle-Earth, but most likely any real detail of those time periods will be left to supplement for TOR.

~O

Yeah, I think I agree.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I love Tolkien, so look forward to this, but also, I'd KILL for a game that can play in the differant ages ...

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

You also have to remember that Tolkien Enterprises controls what can be done. ICE lost their licence for 'overstepping' it.

Decipher's license was VERY strict, allowing ONLY what was in the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. TE did not want ANYTHING from the Similrilian in the game.

That being said, and with Decipher being a poor excuse for an RPG company, I really liked their game. I wish it would have lasted a little longer.

concobar
Ulthal

Post by concobar »

home brew rule set of another D20 knock off?

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Re: The One Ring RPG: New LOTR RPG

Post by finarvyn »

Anyone hear anything more about this game? I missed the chance to playtest by just a tiny bit and had hoped to hear some updates, but it seems like all has been quiet on the One Ring RPG front. Or maybe I hang out in the wrong places. Either way, I was excited about this months ago and now am just wondering if it's still alive and kicking... :|
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I read somewhere that this game is in the very final steps of playtesting. The One Ring RPG was discussed on some Italian RPG website a while ago. Not sure I'm interested in the very unique approach (sounds like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition a little bit). The last thing I read was that this RPG was going to be released in time for GenCon this year.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Warhammer Fantasy RPG, eh? That does diminish my enthusiasm somewhat. :|
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Da.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Here's hoping for a GenCon release!

rmckee78
Skobbit

Post by rmckee78 »

I loved MERP. I got my start in RPGs with the Tolkien Quest game books. We finished them all and then took the rules out and made our own adventures. We were always puzzled by the "MERP stats" included in the book. The numbers seemed really high, so we assumed that game must be bad ass. Finally I learned that it was a game that let you do what we were doing with the rules from the game books.

My love of MERP does not cloud my evaluation of it. MERP was a great fantasy RPG set in the world of Middle Earth. It was not a great game for simulating Tolkien's fiction. I honestly don't need another generic fantasy RPG. Between C&C, the retro-clones, GURPS, Hero, WFRP, and Savage World, I have pretty much any kind of system I need. What I want is something that can simulate the books. I don't really care if it can do anything else. I have plenty of stuff for that.

I think that licensed games have been getting better at tailoring their rules to the setting they are using over the years, Mouse Guard, Dresden, and Smallville stand out. I want to see that continue.

I really hope that the sourcebooks can be of the same quality as MERPS were. I still mine those things for ideas.

Birthright
Hlobane Orc

Post by Birthright »

Release due for August it seems:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/19873.html