Amazing Adventures Pre Orders Now Open!

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Amazing Adventures Pre Orders Now Open!

Post by Jason Vey »

[EDIT]
PRE-ORDERS ARE NOW OPEN!

http://www.trolllord.com/cnc/aa_preorder.html

They're doing a kickstarter-style pre-order scheme with this, and there's some awesome swag in the levels. Please, show your support--these pre-orders are going to fund the game and help get us out in time for Gen Con!

[/EDIT]

Hi, everyone,

Thought this deserved its own thread.

First, Pulp Siege is officially re-titled to Amazing Adventures: a Siege Engine pulp roleplaying game.

Second....

PLAYTEST IS DONE AND THE MANUSCRIPT FINALIZED.

Sort of. I sent the completed, playtested manuscript off last night to Steve, Christina, and Pete. It now moves to editing (and presumably minor revisions), layout, art, and all that good stuff.

So after all this wait...it's coming soon!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Amazing Adventures: Pulp Siege Retitle complete!

Post by Tadhg »

Excellent!! :)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

SUPER SWEET!
Congrats, dude!
Can't wait to see it!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Nor can I ;). I'm anxiously awaiting Christina's first round of edits.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Looking forward to this. Everything sounds pretty sweet! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

BEGIN!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Sorry, been away from the forums for a while, and just discovered this game is on the anvil! :D

But (copied from the Anvil information)
Eight brand new character classes: Arcanist, Gadgeteer, Gumshoe, Hooligan, Mentalist, Pugilist, Raider, and Socialite
(emphasis mine).... I'm not too sure exactly what the Hooligan class is all about! Any chance of a bit of an explanation, as I assume it's not a character who shouts abuse and fights at soccer matches!

Cheers, and looking forward to this when it finally hits the shelves (any idea when btw?)
D.

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

!Bump!
I don't normally bump threads, but I REALLY want to know what the 'hooligan' character class represents! All the other classes represent clear pulp tropes/ 'stereotypes', but 'hooligan' just doesn't feel like a character class to me. So any summary of what the class represents?

Cheers
D

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Long before Hooligan was used as a term for obsessive soccer fans, it was used to reference any sort of ne'er-do-well character. The Hooligan would represent everything from the cat burglar who robs museums for fun, all the way down to the street thug / gang enforcer. The Hooligan is a rebel without a cause, or, to put it in simple D&D/C&C terms...a rogue.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

As a guy who knows zero about soccer, I had no idea that "Hooligan" was anything other than a ruffian. I had no idea of the soccer connotation.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Long before Hooligan was used as a term for obsessive soccer fans, it was used to reference any sort of ne'er-do-well character. The Hooligan would represent everything from the cat burglar who robs museums for fun, all the way down to the street thug / gang enforcer. The Hooligan is a rebel without a cause, or, to put it in simple D&D/C&C terms...a rogue.
This is sort of what I assumed, but as a UK gamer, personally I wish another name had been chosen - too much media association this side of the Atlantic.

D.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Grey wrote:
This is sort of what I assumed, but as a UK gamer, personally I wish another name had been chosen - too much media association this side of the Atlantic.

D.
Apologies, but that factor just wasn't on my radar. I don't say that to be rude, though I could see how online without body and verbal context it could be taken that way, so if it comes off as such, I apologize.

In the end, the term "hooligan" is very much something you'd read (quite often) in a 1930s pulp noir, potboiler, or hard-boiled detective story, and what you see in the pulps was always my guiding star when I put this together. It's something you'd hear Sam Spade say, or a gangster crime-boss.

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Believe me, absolutely no need to apologize :D Thanks for outlining why the name was used:
It's something you'd hear Sam Spade say
Can't argue with that reasoning! ;)

Cheers,
D.

Wolfram_Stout
Mist Elf

about perfect timing

Post by Wolfram_Stout »

Hello,

I am just starting to get into reading Steampunk, and was looking for a possible system to run an adventure.

Looking forward to this.

Wolfram

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Mmm, steampunk/ pulp games (with just a smattering of Cthulhu!).....now that sounds interesting. Just wondering if the vehicle rules include airships?

D

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

We have already discussed the possibility of a steampunk sourcebook.

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

The Grey Elf wrote:We have already discussed the possibility of a steampunk sourcebook.
Oooohhh got my attention again!
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Planned sourcebooks (especially steampunk :D) ! Sounds great that this is going to be supported; but any news on how the core game is going? Is it (hopefully) going to see the light of day soon?
D.

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

I will buy it for sure, hoping that it will be better supported than Starsiege (a really good product).

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

Grey wrote: This is sort of what I assumed, but as a UK gamer, personally I wish another name had been chosen - too much media association this side of the Atlantic.
D.
I strongly agree.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

WHEN CAN I GET MY SWEATY LITTLE PAWS ON THIS THING ALREADY?

:D
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Relaxo, I feel your pain! :D
I remember reading that this was going to be a GenCon release, but since the quickstart didn't make free RPG day and I've had no reply to a query on the "in development" thread, I'm not convinced we'll be seeing Amazing Adventures any time soon (which makes me sad :( , I've been looking forward to this since I first heard about it nearly 3 years ago....)

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Grey wrote:Relaxo, I feel your pain! :D
I remember reading that this was going to be a GenCon release, but since the quickstart didn't make free RPG day and I've had no reply to a query on the "in development" thread, I'm not convinced we'll be seeing Amazing Adventures any time soon (which makes me sad :( , I've been looking forward to this since I first heard about it nearly 3 years ago....)
Sigh. People are so quick to doom cry and naysay.

The Free RPG Day thing was my fault. Between grad school and trying to get the manuscript in order I dropped the ball on getting a quick start package done. I figured you all would rather have the GAME than a quick start set.

As for Gen Con, no, it looks like it's not going to make Gen Con. That being said, this "We're not seeing it any time soon" is baseless.

I received the first round of edits from Christina this week and returned my comments to her. We're moving forward on edits, and so far to my delight they've been pretty minor. Pete is moving full speed ahead on artwork and layout. I've seen some of his art for the project and it's stellar. He's already, I believe, got a mock layout in place ready for the final text.

Believe me when I say that Amazing Adventures is indeed moving forward and moving forward full steam. The only thing that's unfortunate was that edits were delayed by a month or two due to some unavoidable personal circumstances (and seeing as how that's private, I won't say whose, what they were, or any more than that), which has caused the hiccup in the Gen Con release. But everything is resolved, now, and we're on track.

The reason it took so long to get where it is NOW is because Steve and I wanted to do it right. There were a lot of economic reasons why the Trolls didn't want to just get it together and throw it out there--and I'm frankly glad they chose to take the time to get it right. but they're 100% behind the game, and it's going to be great.

We went back and forth for over a year trying to hammer out ideas on the best way to release the book. At one point it was going to be a boxed set. At another it was going to be four releases, each one mimicking one of the old pulps. Finally we came back to the original idea, which was a big, one volume extravaganza. This seemed the best because it gets the entire game into everyone's hands right out of the gate, and we can then move forward on support materials like adventures, sourcebooks (there's already talk--just talk, mind--of a steampunk sourcebook), and all that other good stuff.

So there you have it. I should probably be more vocal here about keeping you all up to date, but anyone who has been through a graduate program while working full time can sympathize with where I've been the past 2 years. Not an excuse, but a reason. I graduate in two weeks, so hopefully that'll change :).

Hope that clears the air a bit and keeps everyone's excitement for the project going.

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

Great news Jason, Thanks for taking time out of your busy workload for the update.
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Fisrtly, apologies for sounding so negative - by "any time soon" I meant in the next few weeks/ couple of months (around Gen Con release schedules); re-reading my own post makes me realise that this sounded a bit whiney!
I really am looking forward to this, and realise that production can be held up for a whole range of reasons (personal and professional). I'm afraid patience for something I am so looking forward to has never been a great virtue of mine ;) and I felt pessimistic following the Free RPG change and no news for some time...
So, many thanks Jason for taking the time to outline such a thorough update (and best wishes for graduation! Studying, working and producing games is quite a feat!). Here's hoping that the rest of the editing and production schedule goes smoothly :D
Cheers
D.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

No worries, Grey. Just wanted to nip it in the bud before one "I fear we won't see it anytime soon" turns into people all over the net going, "IT'S VAPORWARE! I SAW IT RIGHT ON THEIR FORUMS!!!"

...which sadly, I've seen happen all too often.

Also, sorry about the "In Development" thread. Honestly, I completely forgot that thread was there, or I'd be checking it more often!

...and also, Breakdaddy said I was being a dick. Which wasn't my intent.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Breakdaddy said what?! I can't believe he would say something so rude. For that, I will force him to drink multiple pitchers of beer at GenCon. That will learn 'im!

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Ah, Piper, I expect it will be him who is forcing us to drink multiple pitchers at Gen Con. For such is his way. He may also be engaging in elocution both rude and inappropriate whilst the libations pour!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I need to get it to finally live out my lifelong fantasy of being a femme socialite with shades of commanding... or something. Anyway, really, I want to replicate Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Or maybe some Thundercats.

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

OK, so editing etc. ongoing....patience, patience...
OK Jason, any chance of a couple of sneak peak characters?
I know you posted Rick O'Connell (the Mummy films) on the previous thread, but I would love to see either some more archetypal characters statted up for Amazing Adventures or some of the playtest characters (I personally would like to see an example of a "Hooligan" :) )
I love to see teaser characters to get a feel for a new game!
Cheers
...patience, patience, patience............