Amazing Adventures Pre Orders Now Open!

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
mostrojoe
Red Cap

Re: Amazing Adventures: Pulp Siege Retitle complete!

Post by mostrojoe »

serleran wrote:Or maybe some Thundercats.
But for those loving kitties of the 80s there is Starsiege I think :)

Or the useful advices of the CKG!

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Grey wrote:OK, so editing etc. ongoing....patience, patience...
OK Jason, any chance of a couple of sneak peak characters?
I know you posted Rick O'Connell (the Mummy films) on the previous thread, but I would love to see either some more archetypal characters statted up for Amazing Adventures or some of the playtest characters (I personally would like to see an example of a "Hooligan" :) )
I love to see teaser characters to get a feel for a new game!
Cheers
...patience, patience, patience............
Hm. Let me see what I can do about that. I'll talk to my playtest group, see if I can't get them to send me their character sheets.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Name: Bridgit O'Malley (The Night Cat)
Class: Mentalist
Level: 2
Alignment: CN*
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 120
Description: Red-headed firebrand from Ireland. Up-and-coming Hollywood starlet. Cat burglar (just for fun)
Hit Points: 12

Ability Scores (+ denotes Prime)
Str: 9
Dex: 13+
Con: 13
Int: 13
Wis: 18+
Cha: 14+

AC: 16 (Armor Mod +5: Body Suit, Scarf, Trench Coat, Mask, Dex Mod +1)**
BtH: +1
Fate Points: 2* (1d6)

Backgrounds and Traits*
Actress (+2)*
Anthropologist (+2)*
Knowledge: Myth and Legend (+3)*
---------------
Relentless (+2 resist fatigue, re-roll energy drain, but Fatigued=exhausted)*
Hardy (+1 to Con saves, -1 to Dex saves)*

Class Abilities: Meditation (Wis), Psionic Powers, Psychic Senses (Wis; +2 to search or perception-related checks, including to sense mystic phenomena)

Attacks: Rapier (+2, 1d6) or Broomhandle Mauser (+4; 1d10, RoF 3, Recoil 3, 25 rounds, 8-shot clips)

Psychic Powers: Biokinetic Healing, Mental Stun, Metabolic Control, Obfuscation

*From optional character customization rules
**Can change based on what she's wearing at the time.

As you can see, if you remove the optional sections (save alignment), and adapt the way armor works (in AA, your costume determines your AC), the character could be dropped right into a C&C game with no problems. That was part of the design goal.

In Amazing Adventures, instead of the 12/18 split we use a flat CB of 15 and Primes give you a Prime Bonus of +5.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Awesome character write-up. I can't wait to get this game! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Here's a Houligan built around a similar cat burglar idea.

Name: "Fox"
Class: Houligan
Alignment: N/A*
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 130
Description: Dark hair, dark eyes. Russian thief and assassin.
Hit Points: 11

Str: 16
Dex: 13+
Con: 13
Int: 13+
Wis: 13+
Cha: 12

AC: 14 (Armor Mod +3: Trench coat, Scarf Dex Mod: +1)**
BtH: +1
Fate Points: 5* (1d6)

Backgrounds and Traits*
Survivalist (+2)*
Servant (+2)*
---------------
Curious (+1 to fear checks, -1 to willpower-based checks and saves)*

Class Abilities: Back Attack, Case Target (Wis), Hide (Dex), Lingo, Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Pick Pocket (Dex), Two-Fisted***

Attacks: Kukri/Katar (+3, 1d6) Hammer (+3, 1d4) or Sickle (+3, 1d4) or 6 daggers (throwing; +2, 1d4)

**Can change based on what she's wearing at the time.
***Generic Class Ability, sacrificed two base class abilities to gain

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Here's a multiclassed character

Name: Wesley Hamilton Smyth
Class: Arcanist/Raider
Alignment: CG*
Height: 6'
Weight: 200
Description: British. Very, very British. A stereotype of Victorian-throwback British-ness. Allan Quatermain crossed with Stephen Strange.
Hit Points: 22

Str: 9
Dex: 16
Con: 18+
Int: 18+
Wis: 10+
Cha: 9

AC: 16 (Armor Mod +4: Safari Gear, Dex Mod +2)**
BtH: +2
Fate Points: 2* (1d6)

Backgrounds and Traits*
Theologian (+2)*
Anthropologist (+2)*
Knowledge: Arcana (+3)*
Knowledge: History (+3)*
Knowledge: Geography (+3)*
---------------
Relentless (+2 resist fatigue, re-roll energy drain, but Fatigued=exhausted)*
Suspicious (+1 to detect lies, -1 to be diplomatic or influence others)*

Class Abilities: Cryptolinguist (int), Track (Wis), Legend Lore (Int), Climb (Dex), Survival (Int), Traps (Wis), Resist Elements, Favored Weapon (Winchester Rifle), Spells

Attacks: Big Knife (+2, 1d6), Winchester (+7, 2d8+4, 24 rounds, Rec 3 RoF 2)

Spells: (17 MEP) [Level 0] Prestidigitation, Light, Mage Hand, Open/Close, Detect Magic [Level 1] Charm Person, Read Magic, Shield

**Can change based on what he's wearing at the time.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Next I'll post a gadgeteer (if I can read my buddy's handwriting).

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Jason - WOW :shock: Great character write ups (and intriguing.....the Fate (1d6) sounds interesting; multi-classing (with the generic class abilities this suggests major character flexibility!); backgrounds/ knowledge/ traits (simple bonuses and great character descriptives).....)
Thanks so much for posting these (although, if possible I think I want this game even MORE now :D )
Just a quick couple of questions:
- I noticed the different spelling of 'Houligan' (rather than "Hooligan"). Is this is the spelling used in the game? I think that this version/spelling is much more 'pulp' and atmospheric (and neatly avoids the whole UK soccer violence association) and just feels much more like the 19th/early20th Century original meaning (which I researched following your earlier discussion of this character class name)).
-none of the examples mention sanity. Are these rules still in the game? (as mentioned earlier in threads on the game)
Looking forward any more example characters (especially the gadgeteer....)!
Cheers,
D.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

It's spelled "Hooligan" in the game, but you're right...I probably should've spelled it "Houligan."

Wonder if it's too late to change that...I believe (though I could be wrong) that 'Houligan' is the British spelling, while 'Hooligan' is the U.S. spelling.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

The Grey Elf wrote:It's spelled "Hooligan" in the game, but you're right...I probably should've spelled it "Houligan."

Wonder if it's too late to change that...I believe (though I could be wrong) that 'Houligan' is the British spelling, while 'Hooligan' is the U.S. spelling.
Just let me know on any sorts of changes like this. Its simple enough to do a simple find text and replace during layout. 8-)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Excellent, The Grey Elf!!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Thanks! And Grey--the Fate Points are exactly as they appear in the Castle Keeper's Guide. I actually wrote the Fate Points that are in there; they've been on my website since shortly after C&C came out. There was a mistake in the pre-orders where I didn't get credited, but I believe Steve was going to fix that...

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

And Grey--the Fate Points are exactly as they appear in the Castle Keeper's Guide
Ahhh, that makes sense. I must admit that I've not actually got a copy of the CKG (limited gaming funds at the moment, and I've been keeping my cash for AA :D )
I know that the intention is to stay very close to C&C with this game, so does this mean that other rules (firearms damage etc) also match the CKG? (I love consistency - I really need to scramble together the spare cash and try and get CKG ! :) )
Cheers for the updates
D.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

No, the firearms damage is likely a bit different--I didn't have access to the CKG files; the inclusion of Fate Points therein was kind of a strange error that would take far too long to explain. I adapted firearms from another OGC source. Remember that AA was written a few years ago; at the time I had only the PHB and M&T to work from. Most of the new rules/systems in AA are from my own C&C house rules.

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Most of the new rules/systems in AA are from my own C&C house rules
I'm buying AA anyway and, having seen the rules additions on your webpage, this is looking like it will become a 'favourite' for me :D .

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

OK, so I nearly made a full week :D
Jason, just a couple of quick questions again:
Here's a multiclassed character - Name: Wesley Hamilton Smyth, Class: Arcanist/Raider, Level: 2
Are the rules for multi-classing in the game, or were they derived from C&C for this character?
Any chance of seeing the 'gadgeteer' example playtest character you mentioned in an earlier post?
Cheers, and still looking forward to seeing the full game!
D.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

The rules for multi-classing are in the game. I'm having trouble deciphering the handwriting of my friend who did the gadgeteer. If I can at some point I'll post it. Not for at least a week, though, because I am currently in Indianapolis ;).

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

I'm having trouble deciphering the handwriting of my friend
:lol: I'm sure some of my players write their sheets in Sanskrit or some bizarre picture code! Nice to see if/ when you can translate!
rules for multi-classing are in the game.
....this makes me very happy :D ....and have a nice time in Indianapolis, I hear there's some sort of gaming thing on there that you might want to visit this weekend.... ;)

Cheers,
D.

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Hope the editing is going OK!
Been chatting with my better half about this game again, ad she asked if there were examples for the character classes of iconic pulp characters? In the old thread, Rick O'Connell (the Mummy films) was an example of the Raider class (and I can think of another couple off the top of my head :D ) , but having recently re-watched the first 2 Mummy films, we were both wondering a)what class(es) would Evie and Jonathan be; b)who would be a perfect example of other classes.
So......any chance of sharing some of the archetypal characters (single or multi-classed ;))?
Cheers (and still looking forward to seeing the final game)
D.

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

OK, now I'm probably close to being classed a 'game stalker' :D
Any news? Being a bit cheeky, but any chance of some sneak peaks of art (or even a bigger version of the cover than on the Anvil site?)
....also (having been reading back over the older posts/ threads) are there dinosaurs? :P
Cheers
D.

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

I'm really looking forward to this book. But please tell me the pic on the anvil is not really the cover and just a place holder.
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Ronin77 wrote:I'm really looking forward to this book. But please tell me the pic on the anvil is not really the cover and just a place holder.
What don't you like about it?
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

Aergraith wrote:
Ronin77 wrote:I'm really looking forward to this book. But please tell me the pic on the anvil is not really the cover and just a place holder.
What don't you like about it?
I just don't get Pulp adventures from it. I get scooby doo adventures maybe. Or ghost busters the animated series. I was expecting something that would look like a pulp area movie poster or something. The only thing on the cover that even gives that impression is the woman in a swim suit model pose, And I think she has a broken back from the pic.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't mean for the to flame the pic. Just after reading the influences for the game I don't feel the pic exemplifies any of them. Its very cartoony to me. In my opinion cartoony should not be the first impression for Amazing Adventures.

In the end its not going to matter. I'm still buying it after all. As a fan of C&C and as a fan of Mr.Vey's books. I have all of his all flesh books as well as house rules and netbooks for C&C and unisystem printed.

Gritty6 (epic6)

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I like the cover, but I kind of agree with Ronin77 that it feels a little off the mark somehow. It does seem a little cartoony and might give the wrong impression for the genre. On the other hand TLG has a pretty solid reputation and maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

I'm also a guaranteed sale. :)
Marv / Finarvyn

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I went to look at the picture again, just to be sure. Maybe it's just too small. Can we get a larger image to look at so I can squint less?

Based on what I can see in the picture the guy looks pretty cool and action-based, but something about the girl seems off somehow. Maybe it's her position or something. Not quite sure.
Marv / Finarvyn

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I don't mind the picture, but I don't think much about the way stuff looks as long as I can read it and it's not totally embarrassing.

The blurb copy on the store site though... maybe it's just me but it sounds like Raymond Chandler via Babelfish. It's all wet, see, I've had an earful of that baloney. Whatever sap drummed up that malarkey's been takin' the giggle water. Don't wanna be a wet blanket, y'understand, but I was hopin' for the real mccoy here. Now beat it and fix that copy or I'll squirt ya full of lead.

It requires a light touch, or by the 3rd play example I'll be knocking back aspirin :). I'm all for the hard boiled harlem slang, but that doesn't sound like it.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Ronin77 wrote:
EDIT: Sorry I didn't mean for the to flame the pic. Just after reading the influences for the game I don't feel the pic exemplifies any of them. Its very cartoony to me. In my opinion cartoony should not be the first impression for Amazing Adventures.
Don't worry mate, this artist doesn't mind critique as long as its constructive. The picture isn't entirely finished either, and I'm still fiddling with it, along with a Star Siege redo. So I am open to input.

I'm not entirely happy with it either, so its all good. :)

I am actually trying to capture the look of the old pulp covers, so I'll likely be fiddling around with the details to get that flatter art nouveau look that characterised the period. :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

You know, I hadn't really thought to much of AA:PS other than knowing I wanted to pick it up to see what I might want to do. But lately I have been thinking more about what could be done, and have some ideas for campaigns. And thinking about it today, I found myself getting a bit more excited, just not sure what I want to do...

Indiana Jones style small group (2/3 players) high adventure archeologist quests, maybe even steal the nazi-era enemies.

Gadgeteer style game for a solo or perhaps small group again.

A Cthulu style mystery game for a medium to large group.

Or, a game based on the XBox game Crimson Skies... How open are the vehicular rules, are there rules for airships/planes?

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Ronin77 wrote:
Don't worry mate, this artist doesn't mind critique as long as its constructive. The picture isn't entirely finished either, and I'm still fiddling with it, along with a Star Siege redo. So I am open to input.

I'm not entirely happy with it either, so its all good. :)

I am actually trying to capture the look of the old pulp covers, so I'll likely be fiddling around with the details to get that flatter art nouveau look that characterised the period. :)
I would not say the pic doesn't look pulp. I think it fits a style of pulp. But doesn't make me think of any of the influences mentioned by the author.

The woman's "bathing suit" pose really makes no sense in an action scene. Looks like she should be on a rock next to the hero in an action pose, like the army of darkness poster. So I think that also makes it feel a little slapstick. If they were in a ballroom and she was on a piano. And the guy was coming across a dance floor pulling weapons it might fit.

Gritty6 (epic6)

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

It tickles me looking at these old pulp covers. People sometimes make remarks about how naughty my art is. These pulp artists put me to shame with their blatant S&M. :lol: