What boardgame(s) are you playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Post by TheMetal1 »

Pulled out a couple of games that have been sitting on my shelf, but have yet to run yet.

The first was Flying Buffalo's Nuclear War. This one's been a round a while - over 40 years. Not that long my shelf though, but at least a couple maybe four years (possibly longer). I've looked at it, put all the cards (including the population cards in FFG card sleeves) and keep everything nice in deck boxes, but just have never played the game.

I got it all set-up initially to try to do a solo game just to familiarize myself with the rules. Even though it was only a single sheet of paper (front & back) the mechanics just weren't completely clicking for me. Thankfully, as I looked for rules clarification, one of the Nuclear War sites tipped me to a site called Game Table Online

http://www.gametableonline.com/welcome.php

They had a demo game of Nuclear War available without having to register or anything so I ran through it. Well worth it to try out and I think I'll be checking out more of GTO. The live game went well and I managed to eeck out a victory. Pretty fast paced, not bad as a two-player, but would like to see with 4 or more.

Onto the 2nd Game of the day - Ticket To Ride by Days of Wonder. This one was a farily new acquisition - a 2011 Christmas gift. I've checked it out (components, rules, etc) but have yet to play it. So this weekend afforded a great opportunity to give it a try. Fairly quick set-up and game play. With plenty of possibilities and strategies. Looking forward to playing that one again.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Played Cyclades a week or so ago. It's a hell of a lot of fun.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Just gave Kill Doctor Lucky by Cheapass Games (but also a deluxe edition done by Paizo) a try on Game Table Online. I've have both the Cheapass version and the Paizo version and have played it a lot, but introduced to a friend of man on GTO. Pretty well done for a Java Script version. Though of note, there are no Spite tokens on GTO.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Managed a game of Car Wars Deluxe edition today...online.

I stumbled on another site that, kind of like GTO, that has free program out there that allows for board/card games to be played. There are a ton of mods for it, including Ogre and BattleLore, and Fortress America. Here's the link:

http://www.vassalengine.org/

Though you do need the rules of the game to play and there is defintely a learning curve, I was quite pleased with how Car Wars played. More to report later!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Rex(Fantasy Flight). A slightly retooled Avalon Hill Dune set in the Twilight Imperium universe.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Arduin wrote:Chess
I was obsessed with chess for several years while I was in grad school. Almost overnight, I got burned out, haven't played since. Great game, though.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

kreider204 wrote:
Arduin wrote:Chess
I was obsessed with chess for several years while I was in grad school. Almost overnight, I got burned out, haven't played since. Great game, though.

Have only played it on & off. Father taught me at age 5.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Played Red Dragon Inn with the family tonight... fun game and easy to play.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

More WarhammerQuest today!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Ok, so yeah, I got to play Car Wars Deluxe using the Vassal Engine. I was a bit pressed for time before, but now I have some time, so figured I share about it.

Anyway, this all started when I was wandered over to the Battlelore Forums on FFG's site. People were talking about expansions slowing for the game, arguing whether it was a dead game or not. Well, there were a few posts lauding how excellent the online version of Battlelore was and talking about the Vassal engine. I was like, online? what the heck? So I went over to the site to check it out. The screen shots looked pretty good and there was a review of it over at Board Game Geek about it as well. It was a free download so I figured I'd try it out. Visually the BL was great, but have yet to try it out. Actually using the engine though there was some confusion.

First,There are no "rules" for any of the games. So like with Battle Lore, you'd be dead in the water if someone doesn't show you how to play. Though the good thing is, at least with FFG, you can get the rules for their games in PDF from the website.

Second, learning curve on how to use the program is, at least for me, pretty high. There are no instructions for using a specific game. I'd rate it as high learning how to set up a port forwarding on the virtual table top - Fantasy Grounds II.

The big game that I figured it all out on was Car Wars. They have few different mods, including Car Wars compendium, but I stuck with deluxe. Had a friend over in merry old england give it a try and he's never played car wars before, but after about 4 or 5 turns he got the hang of the game pretty quick. Other than not having grids on the map and a turning key it is the same experience. While there may be no turning key, it is set up in the game to all for various turns and movements which is pretty cool.

Anyway a good time was had by all, we're in the midst of the game, as you can save it and pick it up later. Right now the mod only comes with two arenas - one for Buffalo Municpal Arena and another one. So my car was rammed t-bone style and i nearly died, but payback will be fun. That's it for now.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Hal G
Red Cap

Post by Hal G »

Lords of Waterdeep by Wotc, its fun, per-ordered the remake of Dungeon! as well, also have more but that is what is on the memory at the moment.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Played a couple of games of Settlers of Catan, and yes I played again online. I'm lumping these digital versions of the board games here as they are pretty seamless with the hard copies. Game play is free, the graphics and game play is very well done. I've only done the free base game and you need at least 3 people to get a game rolling. Though that isn't an issue as there are plenty of players waiting to join games. Here is the URL and the blurb about the options for free and subscription/day passes...

http://www.catan.com/
PlayCatan is the online platform for games by the famous game designer Klaus Teuber.

You may register a no-cost Free Account to try various free browser games. A Free Account entitles you to participate in monthly prize drawings, provided that you have attained a certain position in the browser game ranking lists (the players eligible to participate in the prize drawings are represented in the rankings 1-10 and 11-100). A Free Account also grants you guest status in the Catan Online World, although with limited access.

In order to take advantage of the extended PlayCatan features, a Premium Account is required. You may choose between the affordable Standard Account (monthly subscription fee: US$ 2.20 *) and the Plus Account (monthly subscription fee: US$ 5.90 *). If you want to take advantage of the whole variety of games only occasionally, or if you just want to give it a try, then the Day Pass is the right choice for you, conveniently priced at US$ 1.19. *

By subscribing to a Standard Account, you are eligible to play the popular Seafarers scenarios - if you wish you may also play against computer opponents. By buying a Day Pass, you may play all games, including Cities & Knights. By subscribing to a Plus Account, you automatically become a full citizen of the Catan Online World with complete access to all games and, if you like, participation in tournaments.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

We played DUNGEON! a great deal as yutes. The revised DUNGEON! game got lots of play. But, I am hoping that they update the rules a little bit. The original DUNGEON! game is quite bland. My hope was that all of the rolls will be changed to a d20. This adds flavor and a die that is actually commonly associated with the D&D game other than the boring d6.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Did a solo game of Ogre using Vassal today, very cool game. Used the draft 6th Edition rules and it worked out well. The Ogre isn't unstoppable though. Despite managing to destroy the CP, only a marginal Ogre victory was earned as the treads were shot out halfway back to the board edge.

Hoping to check out Squad Leader in a week or so as my next game adventure.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Over my holiday break, I got to play Munchkin, Kill Doctor Lucky, Abduction and many games of Monty Python Fluxx. Quite enjoyable. Just picked up Munchkin Conan and WizWar so hoping to get to those this weekend!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The 30th Anniversary edition of SURVIVE! ESCAPE FROM ATLANTIS

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

[quote="TheMetal1"]Did a solo game of Ogre using Vassal today, very cool game. Used the draft 6th Edition rules and it worked out well. The Ogre isn't unstoppable though. Despite managing to destroy the CP, only a marginal Ogre victory was earned as the treads were shot out halfway back to the board edge.

If you can try to find 5th edition rules. Most agree this is the best set of rules for Ogre. The upcoming OGRE game, it wouldn't surprise me if the either use 5th edition or make 7th edition with more 5th edition than 6th.

I haven't played a board/card game in ages. Though I'd like to pick-up and play: The War of 1812.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

Son just found my Squad Leader box from 1977. Reading the rules again since it's been 20 years. Oh yeah, gonna get my wargame on.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Sir Ironside wrote:
TheMetal1 wrote:Did a solo game of Ogre using Vassal today, very cool game. Used the draft 6th Edition rules and it worked out well. The Ogre isn't unstoppable though. Despite managing to destroy the CP, only a marginal Ogre victory was earned as the treads were shot out halfway back to the board edge.
If you can try to find 5th edition rules. Most agree this is the best set of rules for Ogre. The upcoming OGRE game, it wouldn't surprise me if the either use 5th edition or make 7th edition with more 5th edition than 6th.

I haven't played a board/card game in ages. Though I'd like to pick-up and play: The War of 1812.
The Draft 6th Edition rules I used were the ones being done for the upcoming Designer Edition, as they were free to use, just no art. Will be interesting what the final rules do look like. But here is the link for the 6th Edition Draft Rules (at the bottom of the first posting, you'll need to log in to download them):

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=92306
magick3six wrote:Son just found my Squad Leader box from 1977. Reading the rules again since it's been 20 years. Oh yeah, gonna get my wargame on.
Awesome. I myself have never played it, and missed a chance to play this a couple of weeks ago, got the first scenario all set up, but had to move locations.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

So I pulled out Talisman (4th edition revised by Fantasy Flight Games) a couple of days ago. Running through a four player game using the Assassin, the Priest, the Monk, and the Minstrel. The Assassin is pretty darn powerful and has been holding his own in the middle region for since nearly the first few turns when he rolled to get a ferry acorss. No one yet has a Talisman so it's just roaming around and powering up right now. The Monk and Priest prayer +1 to die roll is a big help as well. The Minstrel is doing well, but I'm not that impressed with it.

I just picked up another FFG game - yesterday actually (Sunday, August 19th, 2012). It was The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game (LOTR:TCG). I watched a video review of the game the other day by Dice Tower http://www.dicetower.com/game_reviews/l ... -game.html and being a fan in general of all things LOTR, some what fan of Living Card Games (LCG) having played and enjoying the Warhammer Invasion LCG, that and the fact that LOTR:TCG was a cooperative game, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Well, components are good - as expected, the rules were a bit wonky and while I intended to play a game with my wife last night, we got bogged down in the grasping the mechanics, and called it a night after and hour or so and only reaching the staging area/combat phase. That's when I settled down with my nook and watched the excellent tutorials they have on the FFG site (under support for LOTR:TCG). They go through every stage of the game and while looking alongside the rulebook, I think I have a good grasp of the game and will be giving a try out today.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Just finished up my Talisman game, Priest ending up coming from behind for the win. I also managed to finally organize all the Talisman add-ons I have - The Dungeon, The Highland, The Sacred Pool and The Reaper. I've only really played Talisman with the core set, so it will be interesting to try these out. Now I have one big mass of adventure cards as well.

An update on the Lord of the Rings LCG. I've played several games now, and watched the FFG offical how to play videos, and sat through "Watch it Played" episodes to make sure I understood the game as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80gFPirx ... plpp_video It's actually pretty cool series with about 10 to 15 minute episodes with several other games on there. Well worth it to watch if your considering one they games they reviewed/played on the show.

Anyway, about the LOTR LC I have to say I am very impressed. I like the mechanics, that it's cooperative and can be played solo, with plenty of options. Played only with the Leadership deck and the first scenario so far, but really like the game and would recommend it. Haven't gotten into the deck building either, but it's pretty simple to do.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Played a rousing game of Munchkin Cthulhu with all the expansions and the Kill-o-meters. The Crazed Caverns were giving us a time having to discard items or loose a level. In the end I came out victorious!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Fortress America. Played the Fantasy Flight Games rerelease version at GenCon. It's 90% accurate to the original Milton Bradley boardgame. It's good. There's even some optional rules for the invading forces that I love (the invaders get their own "partisan" cards, which is pretty cool).

~O
VAE VICTUS!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Omote wrote:Fortress America. Played the Fantasy Flight Games rerelease version at GenCon. It's 90% accurate to the original Milton Bradley boardgame. It's good. There's even some optional rules for the invading forces that I love (the invaders get their own "partisan" cards, which is pretty cool).

~O
Awesome that is on my game wishlist right now! It was a fun game I got a chance to play once or twice growing up. What's the 10% change? Anything else you can share about it?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Sure. Most of the chages are in the "optional" rules. As mentioned above, if the invading forces meet certain criteria they can bring one of their own cards into at the cost a reduced reinforcements. Each invading force has about 10 total cards they can randomly choose by limiting the amount of reinfocements they get that turn. But, each card requires some sort of condition to be met by the invading player in order to use the card. Not all of the cards are great, some work better than others depending on how the US player plays. This is a neat and fun addition to the game. However, since these rules are optional, you can go back and play the old-fashioned way if you choose.

The rules for US lasers are slightly changed. I think they successfully eliminate a target only 50%-60% of the time. I can't remember exactly, but in the old version the probablility was even greater. There are some different rules for bombers (I think), they act like they did in the old game but now they don't count against the number of units that can invade a territory.

The dice are the same as the old game, but use FFG custom versions of the d6, d8 and d10. The percentages on the dice for Combined Arms, hit, defending hit, and retreat are probably close to the original. I have bothered to stat out those changes.

The US territories are pretty close to the original game board, but there have been some tweeks. Minor and probably only noticible to Fortress America grogs.

I'd say in the old days, America usually won 70% of the games. If you didn't hit American hard, and right from the beginning, the invaders were probably going to lose. That strategy holds true, but right now with 5 games under my belt for the new version USA has only won 1 of 5 games.

Just like the original game, the USA's placement of troops at the beginning of the game IS CRITICAL! In fact, the USA player setup should be considered, quite literally, one of USA's turns. It's that important.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Still enjoying LOTR LCG, working on the second scenario that came with the game. We pulled out Battle Lore yesterday. Hadn't played that one in a while and I had some trepidation about set up time, but the game was ready to go in about 15 minutes. I was amazed again at the simplicity and strategy of the game, my wife and I quickly got back into it so now it sits on the table waiting for the next turn to be played. Very cool.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

huds0n
Red Cap

Post by huds0n »

What boardgame am i playing?

ALL OF THEM!!!