Create Fetish, Arcanist only (Generic class ability)

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
Ronin77
Red Cap

Create Fetish, Arcanist only (Generic class ability)

Post by Ronin77 »

A new Generic Class Ability for Amazing Adventures, Arcanist only.

Create Fetish is part arcane knowledge and part crafting skill. It is the ability to craft a physical objects that is tied to a specific spell that focuses power from the spells source.

Arcanists especially those of the Wisdom and Charisma persuasion (but could be used for Int based as well) often must appease, satisfy, bargain with spirits and other world powers. Crafting a Fetish, which could be a holy symbol, object dedicated to a demon, or element is a sort of ritual. First an arcane knowledge roll must be made to know what Fetish will be appropriate. Correct items must be assembled and crafted into the fetish. The Fetish must be held by the Arcanist for 24 hours to bond with the Fetish. Or for a quick bond it must be held for at least 4 hours, then held is the casters hand while the spell is cast. If the Arcanist is ever with out or seperated from his fetish for more than 4 hours the Fetish becomes inert base materials.

The Fetish is tied to a specific spell. Holding a fetish while casting the corresponding spell makes that spell easier, safer or to greater effect.

For every level of the Arcanist with Create Fetish he can create a single +1 fetish. The +1 is added to spell casting rolls, +1 to the effect (damage or other efect die rolls). Or +1 spell protection (making a specific spell harder to caste on you). Total level of bonuses are limited to 3 for any one Fetish.

For example a 5th level Arcanist (shaman) could have up to 5 lvs in Fetishes. (yes I know he could not have all these spells, its just an example.)
First Fetish, A stick man with Rubie eyes and straw hair. vine wrapped wrapped around its body. Tied to Snare,+1 cast, +1 effect (in this care raises snares AC by 1 to 8).
Second Fetish, A necklace with a ruby in it, inscribed with arcane mark for flame. Tied to flame strike. +1 cast, +1 protection (casting this spell on the wearer adds a +1 to difficulty).
Third fetish, A bracelet of small shields, Each shield inscribed with a different elemental rune mark. Tied to shield. +1 cast.
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Re: Create Fetish, Arcanist only (Generic class ability)

Post by Jason Vey »

Neat ability, but I'd be more inclined to build a new class around it...if it's restricted to Arcanists only, it kind of defeats the purpose of being a Generic Class Ability...

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

Well I still wanted it to be optional, And I guess I could let none spell casters take it but it would be useless to them. =)

Not sure I would want to add another class, I think the Arcanist class is brilliant.

Making a shaman class and just swapping out one ability seems extreme to add this ability to a class.
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I'd think, to be truly pulp horror, any character could learn the ability and get a fetish, maybe because they read some damned tome or put on an amulet. Of course, you might also just rule that the schtick was given by gear... and not the character's own ability. Anyway, I think it'd be cool if anyone could have a little bound demon buddy.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Serleran, I love it--especially in campaigns that use the Sanity rules. Work something in where fetishes carry some sort of SAN cost with them...that'd be horrific and awesome.

anglefish
Unkbartig

Post by anglefish »

I don't have my book with me, but what's the name of the PC creation rule where you get a bonus and a drawback. Is it Background?

Anyway, with that positive/negative aspect in mind, could you put a spin on it for Fetishes? It would be something for higher levels I suppose.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Traits have the benefit and drawback. Backgrounds and Knowledges give you specialized bonuses.