Serious question for the Trolls -Are custom orders possible?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Serious question for the Trolls -Are custom orders possi

Post by slimykuotoan »

So pour moi, a new C&C Players Handbook cover, with a black and white interior, would be the Displacer Beast's meow. Absolutely.

That would be my custom wish.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Baring that, a colour interior with black text.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Customizable player's handbooks sound great! I'm more of a b&w art guy myself. And while I like the color covers, there is something about the b&w interior art that resonates with me more than the full color look.

The original cover art is my favorite, and I especially like the 3rd printing player's handbook the most (yes I even like the paper). It would be awesome if that could be put together with the added stuff from the later printings :)

Also, adding in content from Crusader Magazine? I would pay more for a book like that, with additional material added in to suit my game.

Wondering about the possibility of a 'best of' or compilation book of the Crusader...

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

While we're voicing our interests in this idea, the most AWESOME thing for me, if not a new cover paired with black and white interior, would be a 2nd printing PHB and M&T with updated black and white material. Oh by the gods of Aihrde, that would be SUPREME.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I would simply request all monsters and treasures from published sources, including the PDF-only releases, get compiled together. Some of them, I would like printed backwards. Because I'm sick.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

serleran wrote:. Some of them, I would like printed backwards. Because I'm sick.
In the latest printing of the M&T there are 3 monsters, which if the lettering is reversed, reveal new monsters. I just did that with the PDF. Interesting indeed.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Other than time, I would think the Trolls could bang out some custom softcovers. Not like time is important down there in Arkansas. ;) Hardcovers? That would involve Walsworth I would think. Then again, I'm speaking as if I know anything. I don't. :lol:

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I really need a black and white interior with hardcover, or at least black text. My eyes have a difficult time registering the red text for some reason.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

slimykuotoan wrote:I really need a black and white interior with hardcover, or at least black text. My eyes have a difficult time registering the red text for some reason.
**cough** old **cough**. ;)

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I'm not sure. I know that for certain people, this text can produce a problem.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

What we can do in house is soft covers. Hardcovers printing we can use PODs. (that said we can do inline hardcovers, which I much prefer to what we do now for the books themselves, as you can open them flat on a surface and leave them there, open).

The real issue becomes layout. Peter, Elizabeth or myself have to take the time to lay it out. That's where the real cost comes into play.

We've talked about this alot around here. We love the idea of customizing the game to your table, but it always breaks down on the rock of that layout.

Doing a b/w softcover is no problem with any printings of course, as the books are already laid out. But to put all the corrections of the latter printings into a 3rd printing would not be possible. If that makes sense?

Steve

marroon69
Mist Elf

Post by marroon69 »

Why? Just wondering? Seems strange to me

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Troll Lord wrote:Hardcovers printing we can use PODs.

Steve
That's fantastic news! I'd like to order a few new cover (hardcover) players handbooks with black and white interiors. Will this be advertised on the Troll store or should I e-mail you directly for the details?

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I didn't realize POD was available.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

marroon69 wrote:Why? Just wondering? Seems strange to me
The time to go back and fix previous printings would be monstrous and we are already running several months behind present schedules. If we took the present printings and re-laid them out to appear like the previous ones it would hit us in the time wallet again.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

slimykuotoan wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:Hardcovers printing we can use PODs.

Steve
That's fantastic news! I'd like to order a few new cover (hardcover) players handbooks with black and white interiors. Will this be advertised on the Troll store or should I e-mail you directly for the details?
I haven't opened this door yet. I can't do anything that upsets our time clock. We are already on a fierce production schedule (which is good). But if you talking about ordering a PH with b/w interior, hardcover, with different covers on them. I would have to find the POD, relay the covers out, submit job, go through their corrections/fixes etc and resubmit etc. All the above takes several hours of work, which doesn't sound like alot but it is. And I want allocate anyone's time to anything other than getting the present books done and out.

Be very specific though, what are you wanting on the covers?

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Kayolan wrote:I didn't realize POD was available.
It is, but I'm not happy with the quality of most PODs. The binding is fair, but the printing and paper stock is a little dubious.

Steve

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Troll Lord wrote:Be very specific though, what are you wanting on the covers?

Steve
Hi Steve:

There's no rush, but I would love to get 6th printing Players Handbooks with black and white interiors.

So the 6th printing PHB cover (the current colour hardcover) paired with a black and white interior.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I like the coloured artwork, but find the red text too difficult to read.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Here's a customization idea: book jackets! Would these be possible at all? It'd be cool to order book jackets for PHBs, M&Ts and etcetera, featuring published artwork from C&C!

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

slimykuotoan wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:Be very specific though, what are you wanting on the covers?

Steve
Hi Steve:

There's no rush, but I would love to get 6th printing Players Handbooks with black and white interiors.

So the 6th printing PHB cover (the current colour hardcover) paired with a black and white interior.
I think we can manage a b/w version. Softcover would be very easy, hardcover we'd have to use POD.

Steve

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'd like a 6th printing phb hardcover and softcover with the picture of the TLG sales team at GenCon on the cover.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Troll Lord wrote:I think we can manage a b/w version... hardcover we'd have to use POD.

Steve
So Steve, the POD would be similar in presentation (binding, etc.) to the TLG PHB hardcover currently on sale?

If so, I would like to order a few. :)

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Options I like that are probably not retail friendly but CK friendly are comb bound (so they lie flat) or three hole punched loose pages (I know, Monstrous Compendium, but lets face it, I'll buy the retail hardcover too).

The three hole punched would make it easy to throw house rules in, or reprint single pages from the PDF to replace torn pages, or just have disposable pages you don't mind scribbling your house rules on.

I will probably just do that myself; it comes to about $15-25 in toner, paper, and binder + the price of the PDF. Still, I'd welcome a commercial solution, with professional tabs, map pocket, binder inserts, maybe the screen printed as cardstock, punched ref sheets to put in front.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Bump